Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace? Or don't worry about it?

Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Mattman81
Freshman User
Mattman81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replace? Or don't worry about it?

So I started working on replacing my valave cover this evening. I looked over at my altenator and saw a crack in the top casting.. No idea how long it's been like this. If I never saw the crack, I would have no reasson to think twice about it. Can't tell if the windings are isolated from the frame? If it shifts will it cause a short? Or is it same potential as the frame..
Thoughts.

Altenator

Old 07-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
I wouldn’t run that.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
I wouldn’t run that.
Yeah, me neither. That belt has a lot of tension on the pulley, and if that alternator comes apart, the damage will be bad. It looks like the body of the alternator is bolted down well, but even still, I'd replace that sooner rather than later.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:14 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Definitely replace. They are fairly cheap and very easy to do. Swap it out now before it fully disassembles itself while you're driving.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.