Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Weird Mirror Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:01 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Weird Mirror Problem

I plan on taking it in to the Ford shop. However I am curious if anyone else has had this problem. The problem is very intermittant. Occaionally when I get in my truck one of the mirror glass will go all the way against the stop and set there and pop against the stop. I can touch the memory button and it will go back to the correct setting. mostly the passengers mirror, but occasionally it will be the drivers mirror. I'm sure it is the body module, but it is so inermittant, I'm sure it will be a "we can't duplicate the problem".

Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Yea, mine does it.
Started with the passenger, now mostly the drivers side.

My '13 did it also.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:03 AM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a 2015 king ranch that did it. Never could get it to duplicate at shop.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Mine is just like KJ's - started out being passenger side now it is almost always driver's side. Annoying but if the dealer can't get lucky and duplicate it I doubt they will be able to fix it.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I would try unplugging the memory switch and see if they still do that. Just a guess, but it may be as simple as replacing that switch.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:34 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
As expected, there's a whole bunch of stuff involved in the memory operation of the mirrors. From the manual:

DDM

For the exterior power functions, the DDM receives mirror movement requests through the LIN circuit from the LH front door window control switch. When the LH exterior mirror is selected, the DDM provides voltage and ground to the appropriate LH exterior mirror motor to drive the mirror glass in the desired direction. The DDM sends RH exterior mirror movement requests to the PDM through the MS-CAN .

If the vehicle is equipped with exterior power folding mirrors, the DDM receives mirror movement requests through the LIN circuit from the LH front door window control switch. When a mirror fold is initiated, the DDM supplies voltage and ground to the LH exterior mirror folding motor. When the exterior mirror fold switch is utilized again, the DDM reverses the polarity of the voltage supplied to the LH exterior mirror folding motor. The DDM sends RH exterior mirror fold requests to the PDM through the MS-CAN .

If the vehicle is equipped with memory mirrors, the DDM monitors the potentiometers in the LH exterior mirror to determine the position of the exterior mirror glass. Preset memory positions for the LH exterior mirror glass are stored in the DDM .

When a concern exists, the DDM is capable of setting and storing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) for the LH exterior mirror motor drive circuits, position sensor circuits (if equipped) and folding mirror motor circuits (if equipped).

PDM

For the exterior power functions, when the RH exterior mirror is selected, the PDM supplies voltage and ground to the appropriate RH exterior mirror motor to drive the mirror glass in the desired direction based on messages received from the DDM through the MS-CAN .

If the vehicle is equipped with exterior power folding mirrors, when the PDM receives the RH exterior mirror movement requests from DDM over the MS-CAN , it provides voltage and ground to the RH exterior mirror folding motor.

If the vehicle is equipped with memory mirrors the PDM monitors the potentiometers in the RH exterior mirror to determine the position of the exterior mirror glass. Preset memory positions for the RH exterior mirror glass are stored in the PDM .

When a concern exists, the PDM is capable of setting and storing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) for the RH exterior mirror motor drive circuits, position sensor circuits (if equipped) and folding mirror motor circuits (if equipped).

If the problem seems to be isolated to only one door, I would suspect the related door module (either the DDM or PDM) but if you have a problem with both mirrors, it seems that the one component that effects both is the DDM.

If its under warranty, let the dealer worry about it. I'm not sure if there's a display of trouble codes from the DDM or PDM but I'm sure the dealer's computer can read them if they're there. If its not under warranty, my first move would be the old "disconnect battery, wait 10 and reconnect" to effectively reboot all the assorted hardware.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:47 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Disconnecting the battery and discharging the system (headlight switch on for 10 min wile the battery is disconnected) is a good suggestion and worth a try.

I’ve noticed over the years when a battery in a Ford begins to show signs of weakness, strange things start to happen. Disconnecting and discharging for 8 or more hours should reset the BLM too (or you can do that through FORscan).

While the battery is disconnected, take the opportunity to fully charge it. Many would be surprised to find how marginal the battery charge is. The BLM is not a good system.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I disconnected the battery on my '13 one time to remove the airbag.
After that, the left running board would stay down twice as long as the right.

Beware unintended consequences.

I just ignore the mirror, it only pops a couple of times before it goes right where it should.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:28 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Take a video of it and show that to the dealer, if they're reasonable dealer they'll fix it. I had the bad shift lever switch problem on my Explorer, would never happen in the shop, of course. Took a video, showed them, they replaced the shifter.