Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Panel Body Weight

Old 06-20-2019, 12:05 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Panel Body Weight

Iím planning on removing the 53 Panelís body off the frame to get the frame sandblasted and POR 15ed. There are Several rivets loose that I need to replace with bolts. Also I will be fitting itís new power brakes, Fuel Tank and associated lines.

It May have been discussed before but does anyone know the bodies weight? Most everything is stripped out, glass, seats, etc. Iím hoping to make wooden A frames for both the front and back to support the body so I can roll the frame out from underneath.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:17 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Can't tell you the weight but a friend and myself lifted a pickup cab with glass and doors attached when my back was in better shape, I wouldn't attempt that now, I used an engine hoist to first lift the front of my panel up high enough to put it up on a cross bar supported with jack stands , then used the hoist again to lift the back end then rolled the frame from under it. I made a frame from some steel tubing I had to put under the panels body so both could be worked on..

I thought I had pics of it when I lifted it off the frame but having trouble finding them but here's a pic of the body on the roller frame I made. I also made a rotisserie that I used for both body and frame..

My guess on body weight would be 700-800 pounds

Old 06-20-2019, 05:42 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Thanks John. I was hoping Kevin would chime in as well.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
Thanks John. I was hoping Kevin would chime in as well.
Sorry BJ, I didn't answer as John is spot on. The only think I can add is if its completely stripped including the plywood floor and a little rusty Id say it could go a little lighter. 600-800 pound range

Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Thanks Kevin. The floor is still in it but probably should be taken out.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 PM
KirkF
Senior User
KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not to divert from the original question, but if you are sandblasting the frame, I wouldn't use POR-15 afterwards.
Its primarily designed to encapsulate rust. With a clean frame you would be better of either powder coating or spraying with a tough urethane paint.

Kirk

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I used two coats of epoxy primer and two coats of a 2 part top coat on mine...

Old 06-20-2019, 08:27 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
Get 5 friends, one at each corner, you an the fifth guy on the sides.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
That's all it would take abe, finding the other 4 guys is usually the problem..

Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
You're right John, I'm usually a one man operation. I've got my Granddaughters BF coming over to help me remove the mounting bolts Sunday or I'd never get the body off. Too bad I don't belong to a car club or something similar.

As far as POR 15 on a sand blasted frame, it works quite well, seals up the places sand blasting can't get to and gets rock hard. Only draw back is you've gotta top coat anything exposed to UV rays. I little over a quart does the Job with nothing more than a paint brush and a drop cloth. OBTW don't let it dry on you or you'll be wearing it for a few days until it wears off.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
DOM-16 made by Dominion Sure Seal is the same as POR-15 at about half the cost..

Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
You're right John, I'm usually a one man operation. I've got my Granddaughters BF coming over to help me remove the mounting bolts Sunday or I'd never get the body off. Too bad I don't belong to a car club or something similar.

As far as POR 15 on a sand blasted frame, it works quite well, seals up the places sand blasting can't get to and gets rock hard. Only draw back is you've gotta top coat anything exposed to UV rays. I little over a quart does the Job with nothing more than a paint brush and a drop cloth. OBTW don't let it dry on you or you'll be wearing it for a few days until it wears off.

OK, you got yourself, G-daughters BF, then get Joe Harrier to come up with his son. That's 4 and grab a neighbor or your granddaughters father....

Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend

I did it all on my own other than lifting the cab of my pickup out of the box of my Chevy pickup. Why I make good use of my engine hoist..

Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Or get a forklift, done in an afternoon.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
Bob how do you slow it down? Thatís really neat!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.