Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pure logic vs YOLO

Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 PM
mciokiewicz
New User
mciokiewicz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pure logic vs YOLO

I've been having an internal battle, this is just my thought process after doing some research and hitting this forum up night after night. I used to have a 99 CCSB 4x4 with the 7.3. I just love the diesels, have ever since I was a little guy in school. I currently have a 2017 F-250 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 gears. I also have a 40' keystone fifth wheel that is 10,500 empty.

Yes, my truck pulls the camper fine, but man oh man, I'd sure love to throw my truck in cruise and just sit back at 11 ish MPG without downshifting, and the nightmare of trying to fuel up on a road trip with the camper. What a son of a gun trying to maneuver that combo in the gas lanes.

Pure logic:
I earn a comfortable living but not wealthy by any means. I can afford a new diesel truck, but with an auto loan. However, I only drive under 4 miles each way to work. I had considered the fact that the truck has a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty and 5 year 60K powertrain. Then purchasing the Ford ESP before the 3 yr 36K is up for 7 year 150K miles to cover the emissions equipment and all the other massively expensive components.

The problem is that the DPF and SCR aren't covered by any warranty because of being considered a consumable item, like brakes and tires. The next consideration is to delete emissions when a component fails, which makes sense and is really better for the engine, but in reality, say goodbye to warranty. I honestly can't see myself justifying or being able to pay for a 5K+ repair bill out of pocket - that would hurt.

And I simply just don't drive enough or pull heavy regularly enough for the emissions system to properly cycle.

YOLO (you only live once):
But man, it sure would pull my camper amazing! And I'd be back in a diesel! And I would have a lot easier time filling up when the camper is hooked up, and that's after going even further on a tank of fuel.

Unfortunately for me, pure logic is winning this battle. Even though my 6.2 does just what it is intended to do, it doesn't have my heart. As much as I'd love to be back in a diesel truck and effortlessly chug my camper around, I do believe I'm going to have to stay used to the 8 or so MPG (if it's not too windy, anyway), third gear hill climbs on the freeway, and iffy gas fill ups.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM
KappaKerma
Freshman User
KappaKerma is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this internal debate while truck shopping over the last year. Went from eyeing an F150 to an F250 gasser to opting for a well optioned diesel lariat ultimate. Luckily I got a timely raise which allowed me to "justify" what is most definitely a splurge. Maybe I'll regret it once the new wears off... Who knows. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Mkos1980
Elder User
Mkos1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had the same debate. I went with a 6.2 4.30 Lariat. I'm happy with my decision and used the extra cash on the family for home improvements and mini vacations.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 PM
mattymax
Elder User
mattymax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mattymax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I YOLO'ED the SHI* out of my last purchase.

I have never owned a diesel and special ordered my 19' CCSB Lariat. Probably will never own a gas truck again after driving this for the past few months. Love it.

You'll get a ton of different answers but bottom line is, you need to do what's right for your situation.

Matt

Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM
fortheford
Senior User
fortheford is starting off with a positive reputation.
To the OP - your emissions are *absolutely* covered under warranty. Emissions warranty is specifically detailed on

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...US_04_2018.pdf

Browse to page 20 you will see the list of what is covered, which clearly states DPF & SCR.

Anyway, I barely drive anywhere in my '19 6.7L and I have 5th wheel prep and nothing to hitch to it lol. Point is, drive it, enjoy it. There is wayyyyyyyyyyy to much "FUD" (fear unknown doubt) on forums about diesels and emissions systems. You'll be fine.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 PM
Sethcj
Freshman User
Sethcj is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you’re getting 8mpg with the gasser I’d say you’re doing pretty good. I have a 17 ccsb f250 lariat 6.7 psd truck and just towed my 24ft car hauler loaded with race car and a bunch of garage stuff from San Antonio, tx to Denver, co and avg’d 8.5pmg. Granted it was 25-30 mph head winds through most of west Texas and into New Mexico. Trailer is 4013lbs unloaded and race car is ~3500lbs and I probably had another 500-600lbs of other junk in it, so that’s still Lighter than your empty trailer by 2000lbs. It did avg 12.7 pulling empty trailer from Denver to SA though, so maybe the wind and up in elevation that killed it so much.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 PM
NWnative
Senior User
NWnative is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used to live by the YOLO motto but, I am 10-15 years away from retirement. Went with pure logic this time....Don't want to have to work for 'the man' any longer than necessary. Also....i am getting a solid 10mpg towing but, the Airstream is pretty aerodynamic and only weighs in around 8000lbs.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 AM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Had a diesel, went gasser, never again...went back to diesel with my current CCSB 4x4 6.7L. if you enjoy towing with a diesel it's going to irk you every time you tow with the gasser.

I yolo'd, but I yolo with every large purchase. I'm planning on retiring at 40, still couldn't bring myself to make the better financial choice on the gasser. It's just what was important to me.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 AM
George C
Senior User
George C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.George C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMO.
The difference in LOGIC and YOLO is simple..
“YOLO” comes with spending money you have and won’t miss or impact your life.
”Logic” comes with spending money you borrow.
That said, no chance I would ever buy a gasoline equipped Super Duty, and that includes the new 7.3l

Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 AM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This just one man's OPINION - If you are "hitting this forum up night after night" you re getting a slightly distorted picture of reliability issues or problems associated with latest gen PSD's. Yep, there is the possibility of expensive emissions repairs, tire balance problems, death wobble, leaky sun roofs, squeaks and rattles, body panel fitment, etc etc etc. But if all the problems discussed on FTE were endemic, sales would likely be in the dumper. What we'd like to see is DATA - what percentage of TOTAL Super Duty production experience a specific issue? Aside from a tire balance issue, corrected by Ford, my F-250 has been absolutely trouble free over 15,000 tow miles. I bought it to tow my RV and it does!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 AM
mciokiewicz
New User
Thanks for this, I was looking at the ESP plans to find the emissions stuff. I hadn't looked at this detailed document, thanks again!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 AM
mciokiewicz
New User
Originally Posted by fortheford View Post
To the OP - your emissions are *absolutely* covered under warranty. Emissions warranty is specifically detailed on

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...US_04_2018.pdf

Browse to page 20 you will see the list of what is covered, which clearly states DPF & SCR.

Anyway, I barely drive anywhere in my '19 6.7L and I have 5th wheel prep and nothing to hitch to it lol. Point is, drive it, enjoy it. There is wayyyyyyyyyyy to much "FUD" (fear unknown doubt) on forums about diesels and emissions systems. You'll be fine.
Thanks for this, I was looking at the ESP plans to find the emissions stuff. I hadn't looked at this detailed document, thanks again!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM
mciokiewicz
New User
Originally Posted by George C View Post
IMO.
The difference in LOGIC and YOLO is simple..
“YOLO” comes with spending money you have and won’t miss or impact your life.
”Logic” comes with spending money you borrow.
That said, no chance I would ever buy a gasoline equipped Super Duty, and that includes the new 7.3l
Good point.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM
mciokiewicz
New User
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
This just one man's OPINION - If you are "hitting this forum up night after night" you re getting a slightly distorted picture of reliability issues or problems associated with latest gen PSD's. Yep, there is the possibility of expensive emissions repairs, tire balance problems, death wobble, leaky sun roofs, squeaks and rattles, body panel fitment, etc etc etc. But if all the problems discussed on FTE were endemic, sales would likely be in the dumper. What we'd like to see is DATA - what percentage of TOTAL Super Duty production experience a specific issue? Aside from a tire balance issue, corrected by Ford, my F-250 has been absolutely trouble free over 15,000 tow miles. I bought it to tow my RV and it does!
When I say I hit up the forum night after night, I just mean I like reading what others have to say about topics I have questions about. Winding down from the day I like to scan through the forums, I don't use the common social media anymore. And I see how much people don't like when a question is asked that has already been answered in a different post. And yes, you are correct, it is 100% my opinion for my situation, and my thought process to get to my conclusion.

I'm aware of the reliability differences between the 6.4 and the 6.7. And I am brand loyal, I've never had anything but Ford since my first vehicle. I've even had my current gasser in for multiple warranty repairs, including a transmission leak that took the dealer 3 separate times to fix it, water leaking from the roof strip, tpms - but I'm realistic and realize that things just happen with mechanical items.

But maybe I came across some incomplete information, or didn't dig deep enough into other. I appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Greg Hamilton
Junior User
Greg Hamilton is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm blaming Ford for making me YOLO my last two purchases. I've always been fine with good old XLT gasser that is until I test drove my 2010 F350 Lariat with the 6.4. I said I'd never own a truck with leather or a sunroof... no need. Well the made me such a good deal I bought it. Figured why not, YOLO. I loved that truck and was going to keep it a long time.

Well Ford redesigned again in 2017 and I've been chomping at the bit ever since. I fell in love with this body style immediately. In December I test drove a couple and couldn't stop thinking about them. It was truly a want vs a need and in the end I ended up buying a CCSB F350 Platinum in February. And no, I don't own a trailer of any sort, I don't tow anything. But if I want to... I can :-)

All that being said... once you get a diesel you won't go back. I test drove a 6.2 for about 2 blocks and turned around. I knew immediately I wouldn't be happy even though I didn't need it. I just love the diesel.

Good luck man!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.