2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Pure logic vs YOLO

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps OP might consider downsizing his camper?

I love my 4.30 and smaller 5th setup but I would absolutely have a diesel for 40/10K+. To me, unless you are full timing, 40+/10K+.... is just unneeded size that inhibits your camping.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
IMO.
The difference in LOGIC and YOLO is simple..
“YOLO” comes with spending money you have and won’t miss or impact your life.
”Logic” comes with spending money you borrow.
That said, no chance I would ever buy a gasoline equipped Super Duty, and that includes the new 7.3l
The way I look at it is “YOLO” is for those that spend money they don’t have vs. “LOGIC” is for those that are willing to defer gratification until they can afford it.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM
mciokiewicz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dksmith17
perhaps OP might consider downsizing his camper?

I love my 4.30 and smaller 5th setup but I would absolutely have a diesel for 40/10K+. To me, unless you are full timing, 40+/10K+.... is just unneeded size that inhibits your camping.
I can see where you're coming from, however, I started with a 24' travel trailer. Then upgraded to a 30' fifth wheel, no bunks. I have 9 and 12 year old boys and two dogs, along with me and my wife. It would get cumbersome on our several, week long, trips over the summer time to do the table down couch out, table up couch in, kid stuff piled up on the couch, nowhere to sit, etc. That is the reason I decided to get the unit I have now with bunks and a place for stuff. It makes those week long adventures a bit less stressful when everything has a place.

Like I mentioned, the truck does not struggle to pull the camper. I have diesel truck on the brain since I was spoiled with the 7.3 a while back, and would really like to go back. But since I don't have a pile of play money sitting around, I think I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel vs. gasser, the biggest dilemma on this forum I do believe. Here's how I see it, I tow heavy, usually around 15k, sometimes around town ( skid steers, excavator attachments,etc ) and sometimes for recreation ( 34' enclosed gooseneck, 4-5 full size motorcycles, luggage, gear, etc) and the recreational trips are through varying terrain ( flats to Western mountains ) so for me the choice was a no brainer. When I'm not pulling loads, I really do enjoy the gobs of torque that the diesel provides for all around running, especially on the highway. When I drive a gasser and try to pass the repeated downshifts reminds me of how much I love the effortless power the diesel affords. If you're concerned about the emissions system, have your DPF display enabled, this will give you the option to perform stationary regens or know when you need to get out on the road and let the truck stretch it's legs for a little while to perform a regen. This is my second 6.7 and they've been excellent engines, and every powerstroke tech has told me to not baby it and let it run. And when the opportunity presents itself, I do just that. They pull like freight trains. Empty or loaded. The choice is yours.

I tell everyone, drive what you like and like what you drive. And can afford.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Gazoo2010
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a 2015 F150 which was more than enough for my 24' Jayco Travel trailer. Saw a deal on a 2018 F350 CCSB 6.7 that was to good to pass on. Got a great trade on my F150. I just drive the truck and so far no issues (24,000 miles). The new diesels drive great.

My only advice is that if you do decide to move to the diesel, opt for a F350 for the added payload. The weight of the diesel engine eats the F250 payload.

Good luch on your decisions. Nice camper BTW.

~S

Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam R
The way I look at it is “YOLO” is for those that spend money they don’t have vs. “LOGIC” is for those that are willing to defer gratification until they can afford it.
Yes! It does work both ways Adam!

The ending is always the same though..
Those who live life logically can go YOLO when logic dictates.
Those who live YOLO from the beginning will have few choices later on, other than to be forcefully logical...and that's going to suck...

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gazoo2010
I had a 2015 F150 which was more than enough for my 24' Jayco Travel trailer. Saw a deal on a 2018 F350 CCSB 6.7 that was to good to pass on. Got a great trade on my F150. I just drive the truck and so far no issues (24,000 miles). The new diesels drive great.

My only advice is that if you do decide to move to the diesel, opt for a F350 for the added payload. The weight of the diesel engine eats the F250 payload.

Good luch on your decisions. Nice camper BTW.

~S
Good advice Gazoo, I forgot to mention the 350 vs. the 250.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mciokiewicz
I can see where you're coming from, however, I started with a 24' travel trailer. Then upgraded to a 30' fifth wheel, no bunks. I have 9 and 12 year old boys and two dogs, along with me and my wife. It would get cumbersome on our several, week long, trips over the summer time to do the table down couch out, table up couch in, kid stuff piled up on the couch, nowhere to sit, etc. That is the reason I decided to get the unit I have now with bunks and a place for stuff. It makes those week long adventures a bit less stressful when everything has a place.

Like I mentioned, the truck does not struggle to pull the camper. I have diesel truck on the brain since I was spoiled with the 7.3 a while back, and would really like to go back. But since I don't have a pile of play money sitting around, I think I may be barking up the wrong tree.
There are lighter fifth wheels out there with bunkhouses. We started out with a 29' travel trailer, that was actually 34' coupler to bumper. But I was tired of sticking 12' out into the road, blocking traffic, every time we hooked up and I wanted the easier pull of fifth wheel, so I did my research, did my calculations and came back with the need to find a fiver that was under 31' kingpin to bumper. And since, like you, I have 2 kids (8 and 9) and 2 dogs, it had to have a bunkhouse of some kind. Plus, I wanted something that we could access the bathroom without putting the slide out for those "Daddy, I've gotta go....." moments on the side of the highway. It took a while, but we eventually came across this model in our dealer's inventory:
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...75bhss-tr26370

The best part is that it's only 7400 lbs dry, and around 8500 lbs the way we have it typically loaded (give or take depending on the particular trip.) Even when we did a 2 week trip we were under 9k loaded.

All that said though, I'm not doing any better than you on MPG. I still only get about 8 when towing with my 3.73 gasser. And like you, I need to plan ahead for gas station stops to make sure I don't have issue navigating the pumps. Then again, I had to do that with my TT and the 1/2 ton, so it wasn't exactly new to me. I also would have loved a diesel, but unfortunately, my son seemed to be having some kind of allergic reaction to them. I don't know what in particular it was, but every diesel we took for test drive he had headaches and a mild rash afterwards, but didn't have any symptoms when we took the gassers out. So, as much as I'd prefer a diesel for the pulling power and better DTE, it looks like only gassers for me until he grows up and isn't camping with us anymore.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 PM
mciokiewicz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tony m 6.7
Diesel vs. gasser, the biggest dilemma on this forum I do believe. Here's how I see it, I tow heavy, usually around 15k, sometimes around town ( skid steers, excavator attachments,etc ) and sometimes for recreation ( 34' enclosed gooseneck, 4-5 full size motorcycles, luggage, gear, etc) and the recreational trips are through varying terrain ( flats to Western mountains ) so for me the choice was a no brainer. When I'm not pulling loads, I really do enjoy the gobs of torque that the diesel provides for all around running, especially on the highway. When I drive a gasser and try to pass the repeated downshifts reminds me of how much I love the effortless power the diesel affords. If you're concerned about the emissions system, have your DPF display enabled, this will give you the option to perform stationary regens or know when you need to get out on the road and let the truck stretch it's legs for a little while to perform a regen. This is my second 6.7 and they've been excellent engines, and every powerstroke tech has told me to not baby it and let it run. And when the opportunity presents itself, I do just that. They pull like freight trains. Empty or loaded. The choice is yours.

I tell everyone, drive what you like and like what you drive. And can afford.
Can you please elaborate on having the DPF display enabled, and doing a stationary regen? Is this something you do with ForScan?

Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 AM
fortheford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP you are way to caught up on the DPF, regen, etc. of the 6.7L.

I have owned 4 diesel trucks, a new one every year since 2014. 3 of them Ram (don't flog me), one a 2500 and 2 of them EcoDiesels (I know I know!), and now this 2019 F-250. I hardly drive anywhere...75-80% of my driving is done with a range of about 4 miles. I have never had an issue with any of the trucks in 5 years and my driving habits haven't changed a bit. I had DPF monitoring setup on the Ram's using ScanGauge. All it did was make me pay attention and stress over something that wasn't worth worrying about.

Believe me, my 6.7L is the full definition of YOLO. The trucks are designed to do what they need to do. Emissions is a federal warranty and in my case being in California, also mandated by the state for years/mileage. There's no reason to get so caught up on regens and DPF %. If you can afford it and want it, that's the way to go. Your already at a point that if you buy the gas version you will always have a nagging voice in the back of your head "I should have bought the diesel"...trust me I know first hand what that voice sounds like!

Old 06-16-2019, 10:56 AM
ThumbsUp
Mountain Pass
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts
I've been having an internal battle, this is just my thought process after doing some research and hitting this forum up night after night. I used to have a 99 CCSB 4x4 with the 7.3. I just love the diesels, have ever since I was a little guy in school. I currently have a 2017 F-250 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 gears. I also have a 40' keystone fifth wheel that is 10,500 empty.

Yes, my truck pulls the camper fine, but man oh man, I'd sure love to throw my truck in cruise and just sit back at 11 ish MPG without downshifting, and the nightmare of trying to fuel up on a road trip with the camper. What a son of a gun trying to maneuver that combo in the gas lanes.

Pure logic:
I earn a comfortable living but not wealthy by any means. I can afford a new diesel truck, but with an auto loan. However, I only drive under 4 miles each way to work. I had considered the fact that the truck has a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty and 5 year 60K powertrain. Then purchasing the Ford ESP before the 3 yr 36K is up for 7 year 150K miles to cover the emissions equipment and all the other massively expensive components.

The problem is that the DPF and SCR aren't covered by any warranty because of being considered a consumable item, like brakes and tires. The next consideration is to delete emissions when a component fails, which makes sense and is really better for the engine, but in reality, say goodbye to warranty. I honestly can't see myself justifying or being able to pay for a 5K+ repair bill out of pocket - that would hurt.

And I simply just don't drive enough or pull heavy regularly enough for the emissions system to properly cycle.

YOLO (you only live once):
But man, it sure would pull my camper amazing! And I'd be back in a diesel! And I would have a lot easier time filling up when the camper is hooked up, and that's after going even further on a tank of fuel.

Unfortunately for me, pure logic is winning this battle. Even though my 6.2 does just what it is intended to do, it doesn't have my heart. As much as I'd love to be back in a diesel truck and effortlessly chug my camper around, I do believe I'm going to have to stay used to the 8 or so MPG (if it's not too windy, anyway), third gear hill climbs on the freeway, and iffy gas fill ups.

Pure logic for me pulling my 12,000 lb GVWR fifth wheel WAS the diesel. Not only for the torque, extended fuel range and using the truck lanes for fueling but for the exhaust brake. Yes, the exhaust brake for those long downhill grades on the interstate is great but where it really shines is if you tow in the mountains especially on those steep winding downhill grades on secondary roads. The exhaust brake holds your speed when you let off the gas (diesel) but more importantly, in tow haul mode, when slowing way down for those tight curves it downshifts repeatedly to provide maximum braking with just light pressure on the brake pedal saving your brakes. It also downshifts and slows you for turns and traffic lights etc in town.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Renagade69
New User
Emission components carry a mandatory warranty set by the feds

The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments established, beginning with the 1995 model year, the warranty for the catalytic converter, electronic control unit, on-board diagnostic device, and other equipment designated by EPA, as a "specific major emission control component" will be 8 years or 80,000 miles; all other emission related parts will be warranted for two years or 24,000 miles.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Can you please elaborate on having the DPF display enabled, and doing a stationary regen? Is this something you do with ForScan?

Any Ford dealer can enable the feature through their own software, no Forscan is needed. You'll probably have to talk to one of the diesel techs as the service writer may not be familiar with it. It's about a 10-15 minute process.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:53 PM
mciokiewicz
Freshman User
Well, thanks for the comments and information guys. I can't take it anymore - after my recent 1200+ mile trip hauling my camper, I have put my 6.2 up for sale today. Talked to my Ford dealership buddy and we have a plan to get me in a new diesel.

We'll see what happens, but I'm pretty excited to finally experience one of these bad boys.