Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

RADIATOR PLUGGED???

Old 06-09-2019, 05:35 PM
travelmaster
Freshman User
travelmaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
RADIATOR PLUGGED???

Just bought my first used truck. Changing all fluids.

Does anyone have some suggestions on bleeding out the air when adding new coolant? Can't seem to get heat at floor so I'm assuming there is an air block?

Does an air block prevent the AC from working properly? Further, what is best way to tell if radiator is plugged?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM
acogoff
Senior User
acogoff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by travelmaster View Post
Just bought my first used truck. Changing all fluids.

Does anyone have some suggestions on bleeding out the air when adding new coolant? Can't seem to get heat at floor so I'm assuming there is an air block?

Does an air block prevent the AC from working properly? Further, what is best way to tell if radiator is plugged?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
I would not assume anything as far as an air lock goes. Feel of the heater hose under the hood- more likely you have a vacuum plenum door problem. As far as radiator being plugged, again feel of the supply and the return hoses. And be aware that a stuck closed thermostat has been known to happen.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:28 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
Does anyone have some suggestions on bleeding out the air when adding new coolant?
Take it for a quick drive. Between the motion and the changing RPMs the air will be pushed through. Be sure to check the coolant level after.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If the temp gauge spikes then retreats back at times, it's air lock causing the action.
Start from cold, cap off the tank and let it run to temperature. Fill to level as needed.
Once the motor cools completely check to see of there is a vacuum in the tank by loosening the cap.
If you hear a hiss, the system seals ok. If not there is a leak.
A bottom plugged radiator usually will cool ok running under light loads but heat up under higher loads due to reduced
cooling capacity.
Good luck.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM
travelmaster
Freshman User
Good Advice

Thank you guys for your input. I'm amazed that these side mounted plastic reservoirs are so difficult to get completely bled. I finally have strong heat at floor level, which tells me I'm bout where I need to be.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 PM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
I finally have strong heat at floor level
What did you do to solve the issue?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM
travelmaster
Freshman User
I BURPED

I burped the upper hose by squeezing it til air bubbles stopped surfacing in tank reservoir. This was done over several starts and cool downs over a few days since the vehicle is not currently in service. I had almost convinced myself that the radiator or heater coil was plugged. Jury still out on radiator however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.