Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Maximum speed you can drive in 4H ???

Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM
RETIRED75TH
New User
RETIRED75TH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maximum speed you can drive in 4H ???

Just joined, glad to be here.

This is my first post / question.

I have a 2002 Ford 150, 5.4L that I bought new. It has the electronic shift 4WD system, so it has the 3 position dial on the dashboard. I was told years ago that when you go from 2H to 4H and you are driving down the road, if you exceed a certain speed the "computer" will shift you back from 4H to 2H automatically. Once you slow down, computer will shift you back from 2H to 4H. Another words, there is a maximum speed that you can stay in 4H regardless of road surface or conditions. Is this true or just nonsense. If true, do you know what that max speed is? I have the original owners manual and there is no mention of the on board computer doing this, in fact no mention of this at all.

Thanks for your help

Old 06-09-2019, 07:25 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Is this true or just nonsense.
It's the latter.

The operator can switch between 2WD and 4x4 at speeds up to 55 mph.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RETIRED75TH View Post
Is this true or just nonsense.
Like projectSHO89 said, 55 MPH is the maximum speed you can safely switch between the two. But as far as it automatically shifting out of 4WD on it's own over a specified MPH I call nonsense to that, simply because if for example that maximum speed was 70 MPH then the shift would occur over the safety limit of 55 MPH.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 PM
RETIRED75TH
New User
RETIRED75TH is starting off with a positive reputation.
FORD Customer Service Reply

I got a response back from FORD. There is no "failsafe" to protect your hubs or transfer case if you are in 4H and exceed say 55mph. Computer will not kick you out of 4H automatically. The reason I ask this question is that lets say you on ice and snow and in 4H and than road clears up and you get up to 55, or 65 or 70 but you forgot to shift from 4H to 2H. I know you can shift in and out up to 55mph, it says so in the owners manual.

My name is Jessica, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). Thanks for chatting with us the other day!

I consulted with our Subject Matter Expert and this was his answer to your question:

There is no set speed that would cause the vehicle to shift out of 4H if the vehicle is already in 4H. The top speed is more just common sense then any actual limiter. Meaning if you need to be in 4H then you are on very slippery roads and going high speeds would not be recommended because of the road conditions being poor. I hope this helps!

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

Jessica

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RETIRED75TH View Post
The reason I ask this question is that lets say you on ice and snow and in 4H and than road clears up and you get up to 55, or 65 or 70 but you forgot to shift from 4H to 2H. I know you can shift in and out up to 55mph, it says so in the owners manual.
Once you remember you're still in 4H simply slow down to 55 to make the switch, then speed back up.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
On this type of 4wd, you request the action by using the dash switch.
The switch causes a motor on the transfer case to rotate one position to engage the 4wd drive train.
There is no other control to back this action out except the dash control to reverse that action.
To go 4 low, you need to stop, put foot on brake, shift to Neutral then to dash switch 4L..
It cannot be done while in motion.
There is speed sensing, brake sensing and Neutral sensing. Any one of these not set will disallow 4L.
You must remember 4L greatly causes a reduction in gearing such that it would likely cause a problem if allowed to function while rolling.
The throttle response is re-programmed for shifting purposes.
Look in your owner Manuel for this operation.
4L not allowed while moving for the following reasons.
A. Driver/ passenger violent movement in the seat.
B. Violent drive trans action.
C. Possible loss of control..
D. Damage to drive line.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 View Post
4L not allowed while moving for the following reasons.
I believe a slow roll up to 5 MPH is allowed when shifting in or out of 4L. It probably helps the cogs drop into place easier.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
I believe a slow roll up to 5 MPH is allowed when shifting in or out of 4L. It probably helps the cogs drop into place easier.
5 kph or 3 mph max per the manual. Don't have to be at a dead stop yet but the brake pedal switch must be "made" and the transmission must be in neutral to enter or exit 4LO.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As long as your going straight, you can go as fast as you want to in 4 hi and not damage anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.