1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Battery Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:04 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Kill Switch

Bought this kill switch to out under the seat near the driver side of the truck. My truck is 6 volt positive ground. Should I connect this switch to the positive ground or the negative hot?

Old 06-08-2019, 04:17 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Elder User
Was at the St. Lawrence County Power Equipment Show today. Saw this 38 Ford. Got some good ideas on how to do my flatbed. He has 4x4 on the rails and 4x4 across those then 1x6 for decking. I currently have 2 2x8 in each rail then was going to put 4x4 across those and use 2x8 for decking. I think I have to use the 2x8 for the rails to get the clearance from tires and bottom of bed. Very nice truck!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 967 Likes on 861 Posts
If you put it in line with the ground, shutting it off, (disconnecting the ground), will do the job.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:58 PM
hulleywoodworking
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Based upon my knowledge of commercial and residential wiring, I installed my disconnect switch in the hot line, because you always break the hot. If you break the neutral or ground, under certain conditions the current can still flow, creating a shock hazard. I would assume that the same theory would apply here.

Just my thoughts.

John

Old 06-08-2019, 09:31 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
I installed that exact switch on my 56 and also wired it into my hot line between the battery and starter solenoid

Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
I installed that exact switch on my 56 and also wired it into my hot line between the battery and starter solenoid
Considering doing the same on my 56. But can't decide where to mount the switch. For various reasons I do not want it in my dashboard. Where did you mount yours?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Directly beneath the seat on the door side of the rail, I have skinny hands and fingers so it's not too hard to access it.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:02 PM
hulleywoodworking
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Under the hood on the firewall next to the battery. I installed mine for safety, not for antitheft.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:35 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Both for me, I can semi-easily access it when driving the truck if need be.

The only burning emergency I ever had in the truck ended up being an electrical short in the middle of a turn in traffic.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 967 Likes on 861 Posts
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking
Based upon my knowledge of commercial and residential wiring, I installed my disconnect switch in the hot line, because you always break the hot. If you break the neutral or ground, under certain conditions the current can still flow, creating a shock hazard. I would assume that the same theory would apply here.

Just my thoughts.

John

DC isn't quite the same. Your ac has a hot, (black), a neutral, (white) and a ground, (bare). The circuit will work, even if the ground is connected to nothing. In a DC circuit, it is the ground that completes the circuit. Without a ground, no current flows. That said, breaking the positive will accomplish the same thing. But, what have we all been told about jumping a battery? Connect the ground last and disconnect it first to avoid sparking. Same thing applies with a switch.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Elder User
Originally Posted by hooler1
Considering doing the same on my 56. But can't decide where to mount the switch. For various reasons I do not want it in my dashboard. Where did you mount yours?
Cant decide either. There is a 1” home u der the driver seat on the floor. I’d like to mount between driver seat and door but that’s where the gas tank is underneath and there is no clearance. Maybe between passenger side seat and door but then I’d have to lay acroosnsest ot walk around truck to turn it on or off. Maybe in the driver side kick panel.

I’m thinking more and more the 1” hole under the seat. Lots of room to get to it. Wires would have to cross over the drive shaft.

The only reason I am using the kill switch is to prevent having to lift up the carpet all the time. The battery cover lid works great. Locks in place. I guess I could put the lid on top of the carpet but then you would see the lid. I was thinking of putting carpet iver he kid and maybe using Velcro to hold a flap in place to access battery when needed.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Cant decide either. There is a 1” home u der the driver seat on the floor. I’d like to mount between driver seat and door but that’s where the gas tank is underneath and there is no clearance. Maybe between passenger side seat and door but then I’d have to lay acroosnsest ot walk around truck to turn it on or off. Maybe in the driver side kick panel.

I’m thinking more and more the 1” hole under the seat. Lots of room to get to it. Wires would have to cross over the drive shaft.

The only reason I am using the kill switch is to prevent having to lift up the carpet all the time. The battery cover lid works great. Locks in place. I guess I could put the lid on top of the carpet but then you would see the lid. I was thinking of putting carpet iver he kid and maybe using Velcro to hold a flap in place to access battery when needed.
Now wait a minute..... You have carpet in your cool Meadow Green F500 work truck hauler?? That might look too sissified! LOL! I've got a stock looking mat in my F350 and my 54.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:13 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Elder User
Carpet is brand new and free. Might use it or mignt go with the rubber mat.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:24 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Carpet is brand new and free. Might use it or mignt go with the rubber mat.
I was just yanking your chain a bit. You can do what you want, it's your truck. One thing to remember is that if water gets in your cab, and it will at some point, the water will soak into the carpet and hold there and it might lead to floor rot.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:09 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I've got a minimalist bare floor look going on...Very easy access to servicing your master cylinder--Also you can see the rust on your floors as it forms.

I've had a repo mat for several years, but haven't put it in yet for one reason or another. I like the idea of a kill switch. Firefighter's switch looks good.

Jim

Quick Reply: Battery Kill Switch