Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

lifting a 1993 dually

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM
tater3000
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifting a 1993 dually

Hi guys I've been searching and I know it's been posted before but I can't find any info on lifting a 1993 f350 dually 7.3

I was going to dip a 4x4 conversion but I really don't think I need it after pipelining with it all winter. My new plan is a 4 inch lift and a locker in the rear.

Anybody know of a kit or got advice on how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-28-2019, 02:20 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be surprised if there's any aftermarket for lifting the 3/4 ton and up 2wd's

However it can be done, but with the amount of work involved would be silly.

It would involve literally custom everything, which isn't such a big deal if you can cut and weld better than the guys around here..

If your front end uses king pins instead of ball joints, getting it adjusted right would be literally impossible with that much lift, you would have to have perfect sized pivot drop brackets down to the degree.

If you want cheap, you could probably snag a dana 50 ttb for next to nothing, although the Dana 60 straight axle is the preferred route, its pretty expensive to source a good one for under a grand.

Some of the mid 80's duallys had a 50 and you could use those hubs and bolt them on the single wheel 50 some guy is probably throwing away to go with the 60, then you would need the lift kit.

At that point it would cost enough to just bite the bullet and go with the 60, or a rockwell if you have a decent priced source.

If your not absolutely in love with your rig I would find a 4x4 for cheap and fix it up as you go or use it as a donor to swap every little thing over. Sometimes you'll find a f350 gas with motor or trans problems for pretty cheap

Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM
tater3000
Junior User
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a kit. My truck has the twin beam front axle. I'm unfortunately head over heels for this truck. Its got a interior that looks like it just came out of showroom. The engine only has 110 000 km, and the transmission shifts smoother than silk. Zf5. The body of the truck is near mint and my frame doesn't have a spot of rust on it.

I'm a journeyman red seal welder and hold tickets that would allow me to build a vehicle frame if I chose to. My problem is I don't know much about suspensions.

Finding donor trucks isn't a problem for me, my buddy has a back 40 filled with busted old trucks Haha. I'm just wondering what's my best course of action. My must haves is another 4 inches odd clearance to reduce damage to the truck while pipelining, I'd like to keep coils in the front because I love the turning radius but I'm not opposed to a reverse shackle kit and leaf's I'd that's what I have to do.

If the work involved is going to be similar to a 4x4 conversion than i might just say screw it and go that way. I got a budget of about 5grand but I have no problem spending 10 to get what I want. I don't care about every getting my money out of the truck because I'm going to drive this thing till it dies.

The way I look at it I can drop 100g on a new truck and beat the crap out of it and have a roof that looks just like everyone else or I can put 10 into a truck I love and roll around in something no one else has.

Fabricating parts isn't an issue for me, heck I'm qualified to weld all kinds odd exotic alloys so mild steel fabrication isn't something that scares me.

Ok after all that I'm all ears, thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They make a kit somewhere that will adapt 6.4 axles (08-10 f250/350) to your front end so you can keep coils and have a nice ride. I have the ttb 4wd axle and it rides alright for an 80's pickup, however I was never impressed with the ride of the straight axles.

They also make a kit to use a super duty rear leafs out back to get a smoother ride as well. I'm sure your already bagged up in the rear but it probably wouldn't hurt if you got the dough.

Just remember to use those axles you'll need different wheels as the lug pattern is metric. You're most likely planning on using different wheels anyways.

If you can't find a 4wd zf5 they sell adapters to use the nv4500 and there will be plenty of those about. Just do some looking into the fifth gear nut problems as most fixes are only temporary. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it can take a few hundred dollars worth of parts with it.

Your 93 with 10k in it will probably outlast any new truck made today, most wearable parts for these older rigs are cheap enough today to offset it, as long as you can do most the labor yourself.

My front end has been "ghetto" lifted and iirc I used a buddies 110v welder to modify my drop brackets as I didn't have a plug for my 220 at the time. It's still holding. If you can prep it and got technique I wouldn't stress it a bit. I've seen worse stuff hold and I'm sure you have too.

Pick your poison and plan accordingly

4" of lift will let you clear 37's in 90% of what you'll put it through. I never minded a bit of rub at off camber full steer, some of these trucks with 8+ inches of lift look goofy to me. Mines basically leveled and its hard enough to reach some stuff in the bed/engine bay

Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 PM
tater3000
Junior User
Thanks you've given me a few things to Google. My biggest problem right now with the roof besides clearance is my tailgate is at my upper thigh and makes for a poor height to fabricate off my truck.

I'll dip some more digging and be back with more questions I'm sure.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were me id swap in a f super monotube and some 99-04 sd springs. Just the sas and rsk will likely give you 4". No ttb problems and best all, a lot less math. Probably bigger brakes too.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 PM
tater3000
Junior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
If it were me id swap in a f super monotube and some 99-04 sd springs. Just the sas and rsk will likely give you 4". No ttb problems and best all, a lot less math. Probably bigger brakes too.
You're speaking Greek to me lol. Can you dumb that down a bit. I do have an 02 f350 dually cab and chassis parts truck. What's a monotone and SAS? I know what the rsk is.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Straight Axle Swap and the Monotube is the Steering stabilizer (and OR the shocks)

Old 06-19-2019, 04:12 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
Straight Axle Swap and the Monotube is the Steering stabilizer (and OR the shocks)
Uh not exactly... SAS is straight axle swap, but monotube has nothing to do with the steering or the shocks.

I'm pretty sure what he means by "F-Super monotube" means taking a front axle from an F-Super Duty (which would be called an F-450 now that Super Duty is regular pickup term). I want to say the 2wd F-Super Duty front axle was called 'monobeam' and was a solid beam all the way across the front, unlike the F-250/350 which had the twin I-beams. I don't remember if the monobeam axle had coils or leafs, I'm not sure i've really seen one, but the term monobeam is referenced in the factory service manuals.

I don't know if that axle would have bigger brakes or not.
One thing to remember, the higher the bed, the higher you have to lift stuff to put it in, and take it out. Maybe not an issue for you, but I'm not tall, and I hate dealing with the newer pickups. I'm doing everything I can to keep the height down on my truck when I swap in the Dana 60.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:48 PM
tater3000
Junior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Uh not exactly... SAS is straight axle swap, but monotube has nothing to do with the steering or the shocks.

I'm pretty sure what he means by "F-Super monotube" means taking a front axle from an F-Super Duty (which would be called an F-450 now that Super Duty is regular pickup term). I want to say the 2wd F-Super Duty front axle was called 'monobeam' and was a solid beam all the way across the front, unlike the F-250/350 which had the twin I-beams. I don't remember if the monobeam axle had coils or leafs, I'm not sure i've really seen one, but the term monobeam is referenced in the factory service manuals.

One thing to remember, the higher the bed, the higher you have to lift stuff to put it in, and take it out. Maybe not an issue for you, but I'm not tall, and I hate dealing with the newer pickups. I'm doing everything I can to keep the height down on my truck when I swap in the Dana 60.
I'm 6'1" with my boots on and at the moment the truck gate sits about *** level, I want it just above my waste to make working off the tailgate comfortable. 4 inches should get it where I want it but I'm ok with 6 as well. Nothing gets lifted into my truck as the whole box is taken up by my welding skid. Besides lifting stuff it's the helpers job haha

Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 PM
tater3000
Junior User
I also should mention the parts truck I have is a f450 cab chassis with the big break kit. I might keep looking for a 4x4 with a zf5. I'm not in a big rush.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
I just picked up on the Term "Monotube" as in being a "type" of shock tube.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tecgod13

This ^

Was thinking monotube because on the 99-04, F450/550 the front axle is a hollow tube. Think D60, but no differential or axle shafts. Sorry for the confusion.

Tec, this is why i went with the shortest RSK i could and factory F350 rear blocks. Its dead level (i wouldve preffered a bit of a rake tbh) but i dont want to go any higher otherwise hooking up to goosenecks will be a biotch.

Also, swapping to leaf sprung SD axles is easy peasy. Rear bolts right in, with a little ingenuity you have a working e-brake. You will have to address the pinion yoke, the SD stuff is 1410 and OBS is 1330/1350, but you can put the late 10.25" pinion yoke on a 10.5. The front SD axle is a pinch wider between the perches, precision metal fab who i got my RSK through can build it specifically to suit the SD front end to make it a bolt in affair. Theyre also the only one i found that offers a 2.25" RSK, most are 3 or 4".

Old 06-19-2019, 06:34 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
ya the dana 60 is called a monobeam axle as far as I know by Ford, I don't know a lot about doing Lifts, I'm happy enough just keeping it running and in good repair

Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tater3000
I also should mention the parts truck I have is a f450 cab chassis with the big break kit. I might keep looking for a 4x4 with a zf5. I'm not in a big rush.
Have you looked under the F450? They used a 4x4 ZF5, but stuck a parking brake assembly on the rear instead of a transfer case. Pop off the parking brake and a BW1356 transfer case bolts right up.
Of course that would have to be a diesel stick shift F450 for that to work but it gives you something else to look for in the junkyards
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
I just picked up on the Term "Monotube" as in being a "type" of shock tube.
I didn't mean to offend anyone with my correction above, just wanted to make sure more correct info was out there.

What I can't remember is if the F-Super Duty/F-450 has 8 lug wheels or did they step them up to 10 lug?

Tailgate at *** level is perfect for sitting on too, but I understand what you mean by a more ergonomic work surface.

Quick Reply: lifting a 1993 dually