Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Pacesetter shorties...

Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM
LadderDogV10
Senior User
LadderDogV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pacesetter shorties...

Iím about ready to pull my 302 out just a few more things to unhook. Iím going to replace most all the gaskets as I have a few oil leaks. I also have an exhaust manifold gasket leaking and figured while Iím at it Iíd slap on a set of headers.

My question is are Pacesetter headers decent? Iím not looking for huge power gains or anything just a nice sound. Any fitment issues? I see some good reviews and some bad, just like to get 1st hand experience. I also purchased an O/R pipe from jegs to go along with it.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Freightrain
Shiftoholic
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
I bought a set of "Summit racing" headers. They were just reboxed Pacesetters. Summit is known for doing this(reselling something with their name on it for cheaper then the manufacturer does).

I had no complaints. There were nice, thick flanges. Easy enough to install. I had mine coated before installing, as I knew the paint wouldn't last long.

I had bought a dual exhaust kit from LMC to go with them. Only problem was the cones on the pipes did not fit well with the cone on headers> It leaked constantly. I ended up removing the headers(and dual exhaust) and going back to stock with new Y pipe. I'm pretty sure if the dual kit was better quality, I would have continued to run it. I still have the coated headers in the garage.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 PM
daltonjamesadams
Senior User
daltonjamesadams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same here. Fit the heads well, used felpro gaskets, no leaks.I have used the manifold pipes from 2 different trucks and always leaks at the socket connection on the drivers side.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:30 AM
LadderDogV10
Senior User
Well that stinks. What brand do you all recommend?

Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

No point for direct fit headers to me, as they retain the stock tiny headpipes.

If you want a set of shorty headers, fox mustang ones fit fine. Well BBKs for sure do, hell so do the crappy OE HO ones that I initially test fit on my truck. You need a new Y-pipe made, but to uncork the motor, you want to anyway. 2.25" headpipes into a single 3" works fine.

Toss in even the most mild of camshafts while that engine is out, that stock peanut cam is crap. My 05/88 has a roller block from the factory as did my pal's 11/88 (I think that is his build month). I just did a HO cam in mine, you need those pushrods as they are different length, spider assembly, and a roller distributor gear. It moves the powerband up, but not terrible. HOs were rated at 3200rpm for peak torque I think.

Post pics as you tear into it!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:59 PM
LadderDogV10
Senior User
So I can run Fox shorties? I read a few threads that said you canít??

i have purchased a Jegs O/R Y pipe to replace the factory one. Just wanna make sure it bolts up and I donít have to start to modify stuff to work

Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hit Man X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

I did, they cleared on my truck fine. They do NOT bolt to stock y-pipe, maybe that is why people say you cannot run them?

Does the Jegs ORY have bigger diameter headpipes?

Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
LadderDogV10
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
I did, they cleared on my truck fine. They do NOT bolt to stock y-pipe, maybe that is why people say you cannot run them?

Does the Jegs ORY have bigger diameter headpipes?
Im not sure, hereís the description:

Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Hit Man X
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Looks like 2" headpipes. Bigger than stock I recall, I swear mine were 1-3/4" or something pathetic. A single 2.5" would be fine to me on a stock headed 302. I have had Hooker LTs for a long, long time now. Probably going to replace as they are starting to rust internally (long story). Cannot recall the size of my stock stuff. I think the stock main cat outlet was about 2.25"

Oh, I 1000% recommend those Stage 8 header bolts and MLS gaskets.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:52 PM
LadderDogV10
Senior User
I might look for a set of BBK shorties then. I was thinking a 2.5Ē cat back single system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.