6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Turbo Blows Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 AM
LegalDiesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Blows Out

Under heavy load, (14,000 GVWR Fifth Wheel), my 2016 6.7 was heading up the east bound grade on I-40 at Williams, AZ. The turbo blew out with a loud thunk, and I lost about 70% of my power. All other gauges were fine, but the turbo gauge showed zero boost. After a few miles, the check engine light came on, then a message that said the exhaust filter was full and a wrench signal began to show on the instrument panel. I was able to limp into Flagstaff, got the fifth wheel set up and the truck to a dealership yesterday at noon (it is still under factory drive train warranty). The initial diagnosis is a blown clamp?? The dealer says they are having lots of problems with my year and model 6.7 with this. But they didn't have the part needed, and it will arrive Tuesday. Can anyone enlighten me on what the above description means? Sorry, I'm not very mechanically inclined. Thanks

Old 05-19-2019, 06:43 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well hopefully your problem is just the cold side turbo pipe very common to blow out a lot of guys on the form will replace it with aftermarket kits the part cost about $140 not your problem those considering it's covered under warranty how many miles are on the truck. My old 2016 roll the bottom end bearings at 67,000 miles but I never had a problem with the pipe and hauled heavy everyday , but some people have had them go out at as little as 20,000 miles take care

Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 AM
cjssr
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Most likely the cold side pipe as noted in an earlier post. I changed mine out to a H&S at 105K before it came apart!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I guess a clamp could be a few things but I agree, likely the CAC pipe. Ask them if they'll show you when you pick up on Tuesday. Either the pipe bursts like the picture above or the clamp ends are cracked for some time and then the pipe fails. I've had to replace mine.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is a good read for you. The thread is labeled incorrectly other than that good info on the Cold Air Charge Pipe.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...oler-tube.html

Old 05-21-2019, 11:56 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Agree with cjssr. I had the rubber / plastic cold pipe on my '15 and after reading the stories, like yours, I changed it to the aluminum piping rig. I actually forgot which brand I used, there are several.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 05-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Alleydog
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I used Rudy's kit. Couple of hours and lots of piece of mind.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 AM
LegalDiesel
New User
Sorry it took so long to respond. I was busy with the repair and then the 700 mile drive home. It was the cold pipe clamp that failed. It took the Flagstaff dealer from Saturday until Tuesday to get the part. (Why in the world, since this is a common problem, do they not carry such a small and inexpensive part???). They then said my DEF system was messed up, and had to reset it. The service advisor claimed the reason the clamp fails is because the air flow is restricted by the DEF system and it forces the clamp off while under heavy load. So, I am going to get my home dealer to take a look at the system to see if there are any problems that can be detected. (Got to use that warranty while I can). But that sure makes you want to consider the DEF delete. I met 4 other RV'ers at the dealership and in the campground where I was staying who were stranded with a tow vehicle breakdown. So that mountain grade on the east side of William, AZ sure is the more likely culprit, since so many were experiencing breakdowns while climbing it. Thanks for all the info.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Air flow has little to do with the DEF system. The DEF injector is simply spraying a tiny amount of DEF into the exhaust stream. There is some restriction with the entire SCR unit (contains the DPF (diesel particulate filter)) but that's not the reason for the CAC pipe issues, this is simply poor design/weak component on Ford's part. The newer OEM part seems to be fine but realistically, the Rudy's kit resolves this particular issue. When the plastic CAC pipe becomes brittle over time, it'll fail on a deleted vehicle especially if the tune is producing higher than stock boost.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LegalDiesel
Sorry it took so long to respond. I was busy with the repair and then the 700 mile drive home. It was the cold pipe clamp that failed. It took the Flagstaff dealer from Saturday until Tuesday to get the part. (Why in the world, since this is a common problem, do they not carry such a small and inexpensive part???). They then said my DEF system was messed up, and had to reset it. The service advisor claimed the reason the clamp fails is because the air flow is restricted by the DEF system and it forces the clamp off while under heavy load. So, I am going to get my home dealer to take a look at the system to see if there are any problems that can be detected. (Got to use that warranty while I can). But that sure makes you want to consider the DEF delete. I met 4 other RV'ers at the dealership and in the campground where I was staying who were stranded with a tow vehicle breakdown. So that mountain grade on the east side of William, AZ sure is the more likely culprit, since so many were experiencing breakdowns while climbing it. Thanks for all the info.
I live in Flagstaff, and try my best to NEVER deal with that dealership. There are several better options here. That is terrible advice from that "advisor" haha. Deleting only makes the problem even worse. Restricted airflow is actually easier on the CAC pipe, not harder. Glad you got back on the road.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:16 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
The problem with the system isn't the particulate filter or the emissions system. It is the cheap piece of plastic Ford spec'd to be good enough to handle the boost pressure created by the turbo. Constant heat cycles and the right conditions causes failure of this part. It seems a lot of people replace them with the Rudy's part with good luck. I have a 2014 with a Midwest Diesel and Auto piping kit that eliminates this problem, however my 2016 is completely stock and it has me worried, I will be replacing the part at some point with a replacement. Odds are the reason the dealership didn't have the part in stock is due to supply and demand. Kind of like getting an intake boot for a 2010-2018 6.7 Cummins, last time I had to work on one, Ram was 3-4 months out on the product. Soft rubber and hot oil vapors from the CCV system did no favors to the tubes when they needed removal. So to wrap this up, Ford isn't the only one that makes mistakes, one would just hope they'd remedy the problem eventually.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 PM
caazguy
New User
It would have been quicker to drive 2 hours into Phoenix and pick it up at a different dealer and get back on the road. Glad you’re ok.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 PM
caazguy
New User
Sorry, I just joined the forum today may 23rd 2019. So I’m not quite sure how it all works. But I would like your opinions. Just bought a 2014 f250 lariat July 2, 2018 with 150,000 miles. I now have 171,000. It’s all stock. Should I change out the turbo before it blows up like I’ve heard they do at 150k .?