2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ceramic Coat

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 148 Likes on 73 Posts
Ceramic Coat

The dealer is selling a Simonize ceramic coat. They wanted around $400 at delivery. Came with 4 year guarantee. Ive heard guys paying well over $1000 for ceramic coat. Not having time to research I turned it down. What is the lowdown on the Ceramic coats?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 736 Posts
Thats cheap.

Ceramapro is over $1000.

The ceramic coating is a hardshell coating. No need to buff the truck and it protects the paint. Really shinny.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:29 PM
MBaldo
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my entire truck done for $600.00, including wheels. 5 Year Warranty. In 3 years or so, I can get a re-apply for $200.00.

One of the best upgrades I did. I'd recommend it to anyone.

That was an incredible deal, but I would have paid much more now knowing how amazing it is.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikelikesit
The dealer is selling a Simonize ceramic coat. They wanted around $400 at delivery. Came with 4 year guarantee. Ive heard guys paying well over $1000 for ceramic coat. Not having time to research I turned it down. What is the lowdown on the Ceramic coats?
A proper ceramic coating involves paint correction before the ceramic coating is applied which is labor intensive and that’s where the high or higher prices come from.
I really doubt that $400.00 dollar price includes such prep work.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 PM
rewillia
Senior User
Agree with GABAR above, and seriously doubt that a Dealer offered $400 ceramic coating is anything more than a substandard application that serves as a profit motive for the dealer. If you're wanting proper ceramic coating, shop around with the professional detail shops that offer them.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:24 PM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the info guys. My first instinct is to pass on these things. They get you when your vulnerable at delivery. And you get to put the cost into the note so its negligible. Also looking at wash and wax products made for aerospace. Some getting great reviews on Amazon. Some not so much. Ive always taken care of my own cleaning but getting old, and the truck is friggin big. Even with a ladder I cant reach the middle of the roof.
Over the years I have had several bird **** stains that would never go away. Even after compounding them out and re waxing they would come back in time. Hoping the new clear coats are more durable.
Thnx guys

Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 PM
jameslecount
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the dealer did my truck for $600 with the simoniz I had never had it before. I then had my street glide done by a body guy with system x ceramic coating and the simoniz wasn’t even in the same ball park and in wondering if the dealer even really did my truck lol I’d go with the $1000 option from a good detailer

Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Yeah the dealer kinda screwed me on my coating as they didn't do my windows and I doubt the wheels and bedcover were done.

They also did a crap job on the ceramic tint and it was damaged before install. I am going to pay to fix that and not worry about the rest.

One thing about the ceramic coating is you can hand apply old school carnauba wax to make it shine even more and stretch the life of the coating.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 PM
2019RRSDLARIAT
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe T
Yeah the dealer kinda screwed me on my coating as they didn't do my windows and I doubt the wheels and bedcover were done.

They also did a crap job on the ceramic tint and it was damaged before install. I am going to pay to fix that and not worry about the rest.

One thing about the ceramic coating is you can hand apply old school carnauba wax to make it shine even more and stretch the life of the coating.
Sorry to say this, all of that crap is a scam/gimmick. I got sucked into xzilon 2 yrs ago when i bought my truck and they didn't apply it right. Never again I will fall for paint protection pkgs since its quick easy profit for them.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:06 PM
Smirks90
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a professional detailer. I work full time for the coast guard but run a small detailing business on the side. I will be doing a ceramic coating on my truck on Monday. I have a buddy that is a certified installer for opticoat. I will be installing pro plus which has a 7 year warranty for cost. I forget the exact number but should only be a couple hundred for the product.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:28 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 2019RRSDLARIAT
Sorry to say this, all of that crap is a scam/gimmick. I got sucked into xzilon 2 yrs ago when i bought my truck and they didn't apply it right. Never again I will fall for paint protection pkgs since its quick easy profit for them.
I think the newer ceramic coatings are a little different than paint protection packages of the past.

But yeah on one thing do it yourself or verify its done right. My major issue is time.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 AM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Smirks. Glad you got your truck. I was going to send a note to see. I am inclined to go ahead and DIY if I can find the right product. I dont trust the dealers with this stuff. Ive seen some of their crew. They look less than outstanding. Post the product so I can research it.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikelikesit
Thanks for the info guys. My first instinct is to pass on these things. They get you when your vulnerable at delivery. And you get to put the cost into the note so its negligible. Also looking at wash and wax products made for aerospace. Some getting great reviews on Amazon. Some not so much. Ive always taken care of my own cleaning but getting old, and the truck is friggin big. Even with a ladder I cant reach the middle of the roof.
Over the years I have had several bird **** stains that would never go away. Even after compounding them out and re waxing they would come back in time. Hoping the new clear coats are more durable.
Thnx guys
Instead of doing the ceramic coating for $400.00 dollars, you could pay the same money or a bit less to have your vehicle detailed by a professional shop and they will also put on a quality paint sealant and wax.

That’s all most people really need and the finished product looks just as good.

A populär combination is Jescar Power Lock Paint Sealant and top that off with Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax and yes, these two products work very well with each other.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 AM
pickncrew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I normally don't do it, I went with the Simoniz GlassCoat from the dealer on my used black Superduty and I'm glad I did.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:22 AM
rewillia
Senior User
A truly professional application of quality ceramic coating for a full size truck will take up to 8-days to perform. Anything less is money wasted. Don't be fooled by the auto dealers and auto detailers that promote their low cost of ceramic coating or worst, their "quick start to finish turnaround time". Its all about the prep and the time (labor) to have it done right and there is most certainly a difference. Shop around, ask questions. If the shop your considering is not willing to take the time to tell you what their process is and show you works in progress (i.e. other customers' vehicles) then they are BS'ing you and only out to make a sale.

Observations taken in my selection of the shop that did my truck;
1. They have a 4-5 man crew, all are certified installers who have received Ceramic Pro's manufacturer's training,
2. They do not have a supervisor or manager, the owner is hands on and does as much of the work as his staff,
3. They are a small shop, fully enclosed in a climate controlled building (no outside washing/works done, all is done indoors), they only accept a maximum of 2-3 vehicles at a time.
4. They do only "wheels off" prep and detailing, (i.e. their customer base is mostly high-line vehicles and expensive sports cars, i.e. while there my truck was along side a Porsche GT3 track car, and a 4,000 HP Lambo).
5. To take my truck, they scheduled me to bring it in 10-days later, as they needed to finish ongoing jobs already in progress or ahead of me.
6. They informed me they would need my truck for a minimum of 8-9 days to complete the ceramic coating and installation of clear bra on the front cap and sides of the truck
7. They spent a min. of 2-complete days prepping my brand new '19 F250 prior to starting the application of the Ceramic Pro N-9, including the wheels off and prepping all exposed surface areas (Labor ++)
8. Each coat was followed by a min. 4-hr. pre-curing cycle using infrared lamps in between each of the 5 coats. (Labor/Time)
9. XPel Clear bra was installed on the entire hood surface, full front grille/headlamps and painted bumper, a-pillar posts, and down along both sides on the lower 1/3 of the doors and bed as well as on the top front of the roof line.
10. A special Ceramic Pro N9 product was used and applied on top of all the X-Pel clear-bra, 2 coats.
11. My alloy wheels were Ceramic Pro coated, twice, both inside and outside faces and the hub surfaces as well as the brake calipers
12. Ceramic Pro coating was also applied to the exposed radius arms under the truck.
13. Ceramic Pro glass treatment was installed on all exterior glass as well as another Ceramic Pro sealer/protectant on all exposed exterior black abs/plastic components
14. The truck ended up being in their shop for a total of 10 nights,
15. I was advised not to wash the truck for another 2-weeks following the application/installation of the ceramic pro as to allow for final curing.
16. I was requested to bring the truck back in 2-weeks for an follow-up inspection and detailing (free of charge and part of their process).
17. I was advised that the Ceramic Pro Gold package I purchased is life-time guaranteed to include my brining the truck back in once a year for an inspection and re-application of the top coat.
18. I was informed that there is no need (or benefit) to wax or polish the truck and that maintenance should only consist of periodic washing(s) using a dual wash mitt/ dual bucket process and proper drying.
18. All in I paid slightly over $3,000 for all this and am confident it was far more than a dealer may be offering as a $400 promotion in part with a new vehicle purchase

Point being, Ceramic coatings are worth it but only if done right!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coat