2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ceramic Coat

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MBaldo
I had my entire truck done for $600.00, including wheels. 5 Year Warranty. In 3 years or so, I can get a re-apply for $200.00.
If it lasts 5 years, why do you need to re-apply in 3?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rewillia
I was advised that the Ceramic Pro Gold package I purchased is life-time guaranteed to include my bringing the truck back in once a year for an inspection and re-application of the top coat.
Once again, if it lasts a lifetime, why does it need re-applied every year?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Joe T
One thing about the ceramic coating is you can hand apply old school carnauba wax to make it shine even more and stretch the life of the coating.
So I pay $600-$3000 for a ceramic coating that lasts for years, but to make the truck really shine, and to make the coating last, I still need to wax?

Where's the beef?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
So I pay $600-$3000 for a ceramic coating that lasts for years, but to make the truck really shine, and to make the coating last, I still need to wax?

Where's the beef?
one of the stated benefits of good ceramic coating is that one should never need to wax or polish the finish after its been applied., key word being: good (which to me means both the quality of the product and its installation).

Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
18. All in I paid slightly over $3,000 for all this and am confident it was far more than a dealer may be offering as a $400 promotion in part with a new vehicle purchase

Point being, Ceramic coatings are worth it but only if done right!
Sorry, but I am not paying $3000 for someone to wax my truck. I will continue washing my truck when it needs it, followed by a coat of spray wax (takes maybe 30 minutes for the wax). Touch up with cleaner wax when/where needed

So yeah, over the years it will take some more of my time, but 10 days without my truck to start, then losing a day every year for an inspection and re-coat takes a lot of time too.

I've got a nickel that says that in 5 years, my truck will look as good as yours.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts

Where's the beef?
You dont have to. I want to though as I want my magma truck to look wet.

The real benefit is you wont need to buff it. There is no detailing needed besides washing it.

The one I bought has a 5 year warranty. Its pretty impressive, you can almost spray water on it and get tree sap off and its shiny.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Sorry, but I am not paying $3000 for someone to wax my truck.
I personally am not advocating you or anyone else does. Its a choice and we all have our views, likes/dislikes, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is for those who think they want it there is a real difference to be considered in terms of the product to be used, the time involved and the investment.

Wax away and keep your nickel.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Even ceramic coats need a sacrificial layer applied approximately once every 4-6 weeks. It’s a 5-10 minute process on a vehicle best done after a wash.

I’m doing my truck (ceramic coating) in a couple weeks and the high quality kit I bought was about $300. $400 is not buying a proper ceramic coat if done by someone you hire.

I always question those dealership sold extras.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
The point I'm trying to make is for those who think they want it there is a real difference to be considered in terms of the product to be used, the time involved and the investment.
Now that is a point well-taken, as I have no doubt that the coating you have is much better than what you get from a $7 bottle of Turtle Wax SiO spray wax.

Wax away and keep your nickel.
Jingle, jingle jingle. I have lots of nickels. Don't get many takers.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
One suggestion that I will make is that regardless of the brand, type or cost of any coating that you use, buy a bottle of spray wax and coat the front of your truck, including the leading edge of the hood, the rearview mirrors (the front side of the exterior mirrors), the A pillars and the leading edge of the cab just above the windshield. Takes maybe 10 minutes. Bugs and road tar will come right off.

3M also makes scouring pads for delicate china and crystal (they are the pink ones). They remove stuck on stuff with one wipe and do not scratch paint.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6-8 years ago when it was just starting to become mainstream and booths were popping up at SEMA ect- somebody would pull out a zippo lighter and rake it against the paint surface- then they would wipe it off and ....no scratches!!!! Fast forward to now- you have 9H “super hard” you have silver/gold/platinum -2/4/6/lifetime years. Now you need a yearly check up - “occasionally put a top coat to protect your ceramic coat .... the very thing you spent $1500-$3000 to protect your paint now needs something else to protect it so it can protect your paint.

Ever since i have had my truck all I do is the foam cannon with MR Pink - leaves amazing gloss/ then do gtechniq C2V3 every few months - 2 bucket method and have no waterspots, no swirl marks - dirt washes off very easily People all the time ask me who did my ceramic coating then they are surprised when I tell them how I clean my truck.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:56 AM
rewillia
Senior User
All in I paid slightly over $3,000
Just to be clear, the Ceramic Pro Gold package was approx. $1,500 all in while the X-Pel Clearbra was another $1,400 including the optional full hood and fenders being completely wrapped along with the rocker panels 10" on both sides up 10" from the bottom on all 4 doors and both sides of the bed back to the rear bumper. In terms of annual check-ups, the top coat will be repeated only if needed and will be free of charge to include a free complete detailing.

Nickels, Dimes, Dollars, no difference they all add up and for me, I get a lot better use of my time and money than to pay someone to spend a full day detailing my truck ever so often. The ease of maintenance, the fact that that the truck stays cleaner longer and sheds water like a duck for me made it all worth it. Other than that, its a mute point to further argue the benefits of a proper ceramic coating. Some believe in it, others don't.

I also feel further confident and safeguarded knowing that the self-healing properties of the XPel clearbra will prevent the frequency and severity of road debris and rock chip damages on the front and sides of the truck.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Nickels, Dimes, Dollars, no difference they all add up and for me, I get a lot better use of my time and money than to pay someone to spend a full day detailing my truck ever so often. The ease of maintenance, the fact that that the truck stays cleaner longer and sheds water like a duck for me made it all worth it. Other than that, its a mute point to further argue the benefits of a proper ceramic coating. Some believe in it, others don't.
The cost/benefit analysis is always part of the decision. Growing up, we never (and I mean NEVER) had a repair man at our house. My dad did everything. Even bought one of those bubble balancing things that sat flat on the garage floor so that he could balance his own tires (and not very well, I might add). Spent many hours with my head in the furnace holding the flashlight while my dad replaced blower motors, belts, etc.

So paying someone to do something that I can easily do myself just goes against my nature.

Washing a car or truck is not hard. Waxing a car or truck is not hard.

So paying for detailing is not in the cards for me either.

Currently my fleet includes a 2017 Expedition, a 2018 Charger R/T, a 2019 Escape, a 2017 Titan XD club cab, a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire and a 2004 Thunderbird. They all get driven regularly and washed, waxed and detailed regularly. I also wax my wife's 2016 Beetle, but make her wash it and clean out the inside.

There is a point in everyone's life that their money is more important than their time. And another point in their life where their time is more important than their money. I have not made that transition completely, and probably never will.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 148 Likes on 73 Posts
Im amazed at what all I started. Heres my take from all this. Im sure the ceramic coat is a fine product if applied professionally and properly. Ive always done everything myself as well but as I get older I care less about some of that. I do not work my trucks. They are for bad weather, occasional towing... and for when I get into a DIY construction project. I didnt take the best of care of my 2500 HD paint but I never... and I mean never allowed salt to sit overnight. Have hose at work so thats no big deal. Only small rust spots on one wheel well after 12 years and 120,000 miles of N.J. salty winters. The guy who bought my truck said all the others he looked at were all rusted. I got about $3,000.00 more than what he was looking at. So if a guy wants to spend $3,000.00 to have his truck remain looking better than showroom fresh for 10 years I think hes making a good investment.
That said I like the guys who suggested the detailer route. Old school perhaps. But new tech old school. Ive already used Magires waterless wash. And their spray wax. Have not double bucket washed or tried the foam. I use S-100 on my Harleys and it works great. Spray it on... agitate a bit with a soft mit or clean fuzzy brush and rinse and its 100% clean. Then follow up with spray wax or a synthetic. The thing is, even with a step ladder I cant reach the center of the roof. But I used to hand wash my Peterbilts so Im thinking Ill figure something out.
Ive had the truck 4 full days. A few hundred miles. Im loving it so far. I take great care of vehicles I love. Beat the heck out of ones that irritate me. So far it arrived with a chipped and cracked windshield. After taking it home I found a dent in the front fender. Theres a scratch under the bed below the fuel filler door, and I just found a dented wheel well with some white scratches. Apparently someone between factory and dealer put something in there and let it smack into the wheel well. All very tiny dents. It will get more. They are fixing the dents in a week. I may try and bitch and moan and complain and try to whine them into doing the Simonize for free or half price. Not hopefull on that. I see Aero Cosmetics Wash and Wax on Amazon. Going to try that or S-100 and wax and detail myself.
Thanks for all the heated debate. Great thread.
Anyone try Aero Cosmetics Wash and Wax?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM
jimson
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did all the research and opted to use 2 coats of paint sealant and periodic wax on top, cost very little and will last over a year because of the additional wax protection that also provides shine.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coat