Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

AC fitting Identification

Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM
The_Scatch
Senior User
The_Scatch is starting off with a positive reputation.
AC fitting Identification

Trying to figure out if I have a R134a conversion or not, no labels. The low pressure port looks like a R134a port but the second picture is the one I am assuming is the high pressure port and is not quick connect.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
The low pressure port is 134a. Like you already noticed, the high pressure port is not. Most homeowners doing a conversion fill the system and adjust the pressure by the low pressure port and do not even use the high pressure port.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 PM
The_Scatch
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
The low pressure port is 134a. Like you already noticed, the high pressure port is not. Most homeowners doing a conversion fill the system and adjust the pressure by the low pressure port and do not even use the high pressure port.

PO said the AC was not work and unplugged the compressor and cut the belt. I'm curious if it was a r134 swap gone bad as the compressor spins freely. Could be it is just leaking too. Will find out soon enough.

Any suggestions on getting to the evap coil? Is it better to go from the engine bay or the cab? I'm sure it's full of junk.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by The_Scatch View Post
Any suggestions on getting to the evap coil? Is it better to go from the engine bay or the cab? I'm sure it's full of junk.
Your only access is via the engine bay. Just undo the two clips and some screws securing the evaporator case halves. One bolt comes through the firewall, near the passenger's feet.

You don't need to break any lines to get the evaporator loose. It's been a while, but I think if you undo the fasteners holding the receiver/dryer, you can swing everything out as a unit.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM
The_Scatch
Senior User
Originally Posted by Olds64 View Post
There's really no need to take the evaporator out of the dash. Use a flush kit.

https://www.amazon.com/FJC-2710-Syst...s%2C146&sr=8-3

I'm just trying to clean the air box and coils right now. But I will definitely flush it with something like that when the time comes.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 AM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by The_Scatch View Post
I'm just trying to clean the air box and coils right now.
While you're at it, remove the blower fan and the resistor pack, too. Expect to find a lot of pine needles, leaves, small rodents, etc. in there:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-the-cab.html

On my truck, I only had a moderate amount of debris near the fan and resistor pack. The lion's share of crud had accumulated on the upstream face of the evaporator.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 AM
The_Scatch
Senior User
Originally Posted by kr98664 View Post
While you're at it, remove the blower fan and the resistor pack, too. Expect to find a lot of pine needles, leaves, small rodents, etc. in there:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-the-cab.html

On my truck, I only had a moderate amount of debris near the fan and resistor pack. The lion's share of crud had accumulated on the upstream face of the evaporator.
Given the fact that the rest of the truck has been packed with termites, stink bugs, bees, wasps and every other shape and form of bug mines probably full up... Those big cowl vents don't help. I considered putting screen in there.

My breather valve literally was completely sealed with bugs and oil.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If you get that coil cleaned out good, you won't believe how it improves the heat in the winter. Over the years as that coil sweats, all that dirt turns to mud and totally clogs up the coils so no air of any kind can get through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.