Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Heater Core

 
  #1  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Ptjsk
Ptjsk is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 38
Ptjsk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heater Core

Anybody have a good line on a replacement heater core for my 1975 Ford F100?

I took mine out after it started leaking. It is the old heavy copper and brass. I went to buy a new one, and all the auto stores want to sell me an aluminum one build under the name of Spectra. They just plain look cheaper than hell, and they're light as a feather.

Anybody use these replacements, or better yet, have a source for a copper and brass replacement?

Thanks, Pat
 
  #2  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 PM
desperado_18_2000's Avatar
desperado_18_2000
desperado_18_2000 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: S. Mississippi
Posts: 2,307
desperado_18_2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thus far I haven't looked hard for a replacement brass one. Like you, all i've found is the cheaper aluminum ones. It would be nice to find something of OEM quality but I doubt it happening these days.
 
  #3  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is offline
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 669
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Ptjsk View Post

I took mine out after it started leaking. It is the old heavy copper and brass. I went to buy a new one, and all the auto stores want to sell me an aluminum one build under the name of Spectra. They just plain look cheaper than hell, and they're light as a feather.
That is the thing that just PI$$ES me off to no end. We take off parts that have lasted 40+ years and all we can find is POS china crap that lasts for 2 to 3 years (months)....

My core isn't leaking yet.......but I WAS of the attitude that while my cab is apart, go ahead and change out things that are hard to get to.

Maybe NumberDummy can give us a part number and a source for the REAL THING... Ford... OEM part.

Mike
 
  #4  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 AM
njdevil77's Avatar
njdevil77
njdevil77 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NJ soon to be SC
Posts: 395
njdevil77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Every great once in a while someone lists one on feebay, just need to keep your eyes peeled for it..........and pray I don't see it first.
 
  #5  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is offline
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 669
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by njdevil77 View Post
Every great once in a while someone lists one on feebay, just need to keep your eyes peeled for it..........and pray I don't see it first.
SO..... if the owner of this PRICELESS ....... USA made FORD QUALITY heater core puts this piece up for bids..... We can watch the price quickly accelerate to the outer limits of the universe?
(Man, if I only had a dozen of these I could retire.....)

 
  #6  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 AM
njdevil77's Avatar
njdevil77
njdevil77 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NJ soon to be SC
Posts: 395
njdevil77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unfortunately that is the world we live in... But I would rather pay $100 for something and fix it once, than pay $10 for a knockoff turd and fix it twice. My time is worth more than that (at least to me it is)
 
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is offline
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 669
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by njdevil77 View Post
Unfortunately that is the world we live in... But I would rather pay $100 for something and fix it once, than pay $10 for a knockoff turd and fix it twice. My time is worth more than that (at least to me it is)
Me too..... EXACTLY how I feel about it....
One reason I got myself a 1978 Ford F150 was so I could drive something that wasn't dependent on SENSORS and modern CRAP ELECTRONICS from other countries that sit out there and laugh at us.... while we drive our TIMEBOMBS around waiting for the warranty to expire so it can BREAK...

I have a 2006 Wrangler that has sensors that are going bad one at a time..... SENSORS yes, stupid SENSORS. There is nothing wrong with ANYTHING except the dam SENSOR.... THEY control the operation of my engine. I have to get out my "stupid trouble finder code machine" about once every couple of months now and find out WHICH SENSOR I have to replace. WHAT A PAIN IN THE PATOOTIE!!!

I tell ya what..... people that can't open their hood and figure out what is wrong with a vehicle are SOOL..... Just go buy another vehicle.

 
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Mark8man's Avatar
Mark8man
Mark8man is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 116
Mark8man is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have a good Radiator repair shop around take it to them and ask if they can re-core your original. Often they can, but unfortunately the radiator repair shops are becoming extinct. I always opt for a recore when available because the quality is typically better whether a radiator or heater core.....at least in my experience.
 
  #9  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:53 PM
77&79F250's Avatar
77&79F250
77&79F250 is online now
Used OEM parts guy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S/W Missouri
Posts: 29,336
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Ranger429's hard work tracking down parts, shows right here.
For anyone looking for a brass/copper core Advanced Auto part number 398304 is the correct one. It is also the same core that fits early, 68'ish mustangs. Laurel Mountain Mustang is where I bought mine from. Part number just in case it is needed in the future:
For A/C 18476-1A
For non A/C 18476-2
1973-79 BRONCO HEATER CORE - WITHOUT A/C - BRASS Laurel Mountain Mustang UPDATE LAUREL MOUNTAIN MUSTANG IS CLOSED DOWN????
Also NAPA but makes sure and ask are they aluminum or copper?
Copper is what you want.
Heater core, high output heater
C6OZ-18476-B
Antique Auto Supply, Arlington, TX (817) 275=2381
Wesley Obsolete Parts, Liberty, KY (606) 787-5293

Dennis Carpenter, Concord, NC also has 1 but they have it listed under C60Z-18476-B, the third digit is "zero" instead of the correct letter "O". (704) 786-8139
Additional C6OZ-18476-B heater core applications:
1966/70 Falcon w/o A/C / 1966/72 Fairlane/Torino w/o A/C / 1971/73 Mustang/Cougar w/o A/C

Heater core w/ factory A/C or hi-low comfort vent system
D3TZ-18476-A

Std Heater core
D3TZ-18476-C

And as always some of this if form Ranger429 and some is from Number Dummy.

And it has been right here the whole time. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14696854
 
  #10  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is offline
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 669
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm looking for the standard version of the core. Part #..D3TZ-18476-C

I shore 'nuff aint complaining for the look-up Rich but.....
That post is 5 years old and when I just now went thru a few of the (other part #'s) and resources.... I found....
Laurel Mountain Mustang's link don't work.
NAPA aint got the one I need.
Antique Auto Supply, Arlington, TX..... closed down
Dennis Carpenter aint got one.
Rock aint got any except for the aluminum ones....

(I wish we could search JUST ONE THREAD here..... The info in your "all the info you ever wanted to know" thread is great. Just hard to pinpoint in an advanced search)


Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
Ranger429's hard work tracking down parts, shows right here.
For anyone looking for a brass/copper core Advanced Auto part number 398304 is the correct one. It is also the same core that fits early, 68'ish mustangs. Laurel Mountain Mustang is where I bought mine from. Part number just in case it is needed in the future:
For A/C 18476-1A
For non A/C 18476-2
1973-79 BRONCO HEATER CORE - WITHOUT A/C - BRASS Laurel Mountain Mustang UPDATE LAUREL MOUNTAIN MUSTANG IS CLOSED DOWN????
Also NAPA but makes sure and ask are they aluminum or copper?
Copper is what you want.
Heater core, high output heater
C6OZ-18476-B
Antique Auto Supply, Arlington, TX (817) 275=2381
Wesley Obsolete Parts, Liberty, KY (606) 787-5293

Dennis Carpenter, Concord, NC also has 1 but they have it listed under C60Z-18476-B, the third digit is "zero" instead of the correct letter "O". (704) 786-8139
Additional C6OZ-18476-B heater core applications:
1966/70 Falcon w/o A/C / 1966/72 Fairlane/Torino w/o A/C / 1971/73 Mustang/Cougar w/o A/C

Heater core w/ factory A/C or hi-low comfort vent system
D3TZ-18476-A

Std Heater core
D3TZ-18476-C

And as always some of this if form Ranger429 and some is from Number Dummy.

And it has been right here the whole time. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14696854
 
  #11  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Ptjsk
Ptjsk is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 38
Ptjsk is starting off with a positive reputation.
I called NAPA, and they are now selling "Spectra" aluminum replacement, just as I have found at all other auto stores.

I did call Carpenter, and they couldn't give me a definitive answer as to what exactly it is they're selling.

Looks like I may have a copper/brass replacement coming.

I'll let you guy's know how it turns out.

Pat
 
  #12  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is offline
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 669
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Meridian_Mike View Post

(I wish we could search JUST ONE THREAD here..... The info in your "all the info you ever wanted to know" thread is great. Just hard to pinpoint in an advanced search)
Well..... since my alligator mouth overloaded my jaybird a$$.... I just went and played around with the search features and I see you CAN search one thread.....

You open the thread and dog-gone-it..... there is the "search this thread" feature right at the top of the thread.....

Oh well..... This is usually how I find out stuff...... Open my mouth before I look long enough.....

(I was going to use the "embarassed" smiley but I couldn't find it....I'm sure it's there if I look again)

Mike
 
  #13  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:50 PM
77&79F250's Avatar
77&79F250
77&79F250 is online now
Used OEM parts guy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S/W Missouri
Posts: 29,336
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks for the update, I'll adjust the old thread. Yes a lot of the locations are dead, gone by the way side, but the part #'s are usually good. And a part #, is half the battle.
 
  #14  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is offline
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 669
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
Thanks for the update, I'll adjust the old thread. Yes a lot of the locations are dead, gone by the way side, but the part #'s are usually good. And a place to start calling with a part #, is half the battle.
Thanks Rich....
AT least this issue has prompted me to figure out how to search a thread before somebody (you) came up had told me how stupid I am.....

 
  #15  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM
77&79F250's Avatar
77&79F250
77&79F250 is online now
Used OEM parts guy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S/W Missouri
Posts: 29,336
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Just saying its been here. lol https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14696824

Do you see the blue line with User CP, Albums, FAQ? See the SEARCH on that line?
It has a drop down search menu arrow, go to the "Advanced Search" option, top left side (search block) type in there what you are looking for and then go to the lower right column and highlight 73-79 forum. Select it and then you will have a detailed search just in the 73-79 forums.

And sounds like you already figured our how to "search just this thread".
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.