Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

96 E350 with 460 having cold start issue

Old 05-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Teraldo79
New User
Teraldo79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
96 E350 with 460 having cold start issue

The rig has been sitting for over a year. Before that it fired right up without issue, every time. Now, it is acting like it isnt getting fuel when cold starting. But will fire up with a shot of starter fluid. And as long as the engine doesnt cool off all the way, will start up immediately after the first shot of starter fluid. I replaced the fuel pump, and filter. It had a 1/4 tank of fuel in it, so I added dry gas to that and filled up the tank(another 30 gallons of fresh gas). It started right up about 4 hours after that, but then wouldnt start again this morning...Any ideas on what it could be?

Last edited by Teraldo79; 05-14-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Adding more troubleshooting info
Old 05-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Teraldo79
New User
Today I am getting a fuel pressure gauge to see if the regulator isnt letting enough fuel through to start the engine. If no issue there, I will be pulling the plugs, cap and rotor. Hopefully someone can help me on this

Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Teraldo79
New User
So. I read about 38 psi on the injector rail, since the info I had said 40-45, i changed it. Then i tried to start it. Lots of turning over, no start. Then I looked at the distributor cap, I saw a little bit of corrosion, so I use a jeweler file and cleaned it up and the rotor as well. Put it back together tried to start it.. turned it over and it caught and ran then died. So I thought I was onto something. So then I got a new cap and rotor and installed it. Went to start it, and it fired right up and ran about 3 sec. Then died. Wouldnt start again. Pulled the plugs, and wires and replaced them. Then tried. Would not start. Used some ether... no start still.. felt maybe the coil had popped, so i replaced it. Still nothing. I am at a loss now. Please help

Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Spaznaut
Elder User
Spaznaut is starting off with a positive reputation.
What was your pressure while it was running? Does it sputter and die or just straight die like you turned the key off? When it dies do the gauges do anything weird? Could be a bad ignition module or ignition switch.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Teraldo79
New User
Thank you for responding... Right now, it doesnt start at all. But after the cap and rotor, which is the last time it ran, it just turned off. Almost exactly like I turned off the key. If it were a bad ignition module, or switch, where would I find them in the van, and why did starting fluid help that(it doesnt help anymore)

Last edited by Teraldo79; 05-17-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Fixing answered questions
Old 05-18-2019, 08:08 PM
Spaznaut
Elder User
Spaznaut is starting off with a positive reputation.
A weak spark that couldn't ignite gas but starting fluid went boom maybe. Youtube the module. It is usually on the distributor and I think there is a process to move it to the firewall or radiator support to get it away from the heat soak. (If its the issue) If it was a fuel issue then the staring fluid should work regardless and the motor will usually putter before it dies. I quick cut-off usually indicates an absence of spark. Do a search on the boards too. There are some tests you can perform with a voltmeter I think to check if it is getting power. Its a common failure on these vans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.