Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace the sagging headliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Time to replace the sagging headliner

Hey y'all ,
I have finally had enough of my head hitting the sagging headliner. I used a staple gun on it some time ago. Now more is loose and I have decided to just replace it and make it right.
I just ordered foam backed fabric and should have it in hand in 4 or 5 days. I was hoping someone here would have some advise on what adhesive might be best to use. I am in South Carolina so heat is a big factor to consider. There are around a million choices , ok maybe not but there are a lot of choices in brands and types of adhesive. I'm sure there are as many if not more opinions about what is best. Hopefully someone here has good real world experience with this. I will need an aerosol type product, I don't have, or want a spray gun as this is a one time deal.
I will be pulling the headliner, and cleaning the backer as good as possible. My truck is a regular cab so it shouldn't be a big deal to do. If nothing else it is less to deal with than a crew cab!
Thanks for any input gang!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 AM
tscholz2001
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuelsmoke1
Hey y'all ,
I have finally had enough of my head hitting the sagging headliner. I used a staple gun on it some time ago. Now more is loose and I have decided to just replace it and make it right.
I just ordered foam backed fabric and should have it in hand in 4 or 5 days. I was hoping someone here would have some advise on what adhesive might be best to use. I am in South Carolina so heat is a big factor to consider. There are around a million choices , ok maybe not but there are a lot of choices in brands and types of adhesive. I'm sure there are as many if not more opinions about what is best. Hopefully someone here has good real world experience with this. I will need an aerosol type product, I don't have, or want a spray gun as this is a one time deal.
I will be pulling the headliner, and cleaning the backer as good as possible. My truck is a regular cab so it shouldn't be a big deal to do. If nothing else it is less to deal with than a crew cab!
Thanks for any input gang!
LMC has a really good spray adhesive that can be used for headliners.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Bruce W.
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tscholz2001
LMC has a really good spray adhesive that can be used for headliners.
I used some Gorilla brand spray adhesive on mine. Worked great. Picked it up at some local hardware store.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
3M all the way, every day. Nothing finer. I've done couple headliners by now. I'm in Bama so understand exactly about heat.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:32 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I've used the 3-M upholstery adhesive that comes in the aerosol spray can in both my 77 F-150 and 95 F-150 Eddie Bauer (regular cab) headliners. Both have held up 2 and 8 years ago respectively. I'm in coastal California and the humidity is usually low, most rubber dry rots prematurely and adhesives lose their ability to remain tacky / cohesive.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:24 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done 4 or 5 headliners at this point and my truck is in line for one soon. Permatex makes a pretty good adhesive in an orange can. As long as you follow the instructions (spray the board and the fabric, wait 15 min for it to tack up, then press them together) it works very well. I've also used a brush on contact cement when I had to do one without removing the board and didn't want to use aerosol in the car. Its held up extremely well but the fumes were insane. Any 3M product that is meant for headliners should work just fine as well.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Workingstiff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you get your material? How much $$, if u don't mind? What do folks think using a fleece type of material? You can find camo,if that's your thing.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Workingstiff
Where did you get your material? How much $$, if u don't mind? What do folks think using a fleece type of material? You can find camo,if that's your thing.
If you have a Joann Fabrics store near you they almost all stock foam backed headliner material. You can get it in gray, black or tan from them. It runs something like $15 a yard. And if you get a newspaper, they usually put out a 40% off coupon in the paper every Sunday.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 PM
nocturnalsuicide
Junior User
Another vote for the 3m adhesive. The devil is in the details. It is all about surface prep. Scrape that piece of cardboard, then hit it with one of those heavy scotch pads. Then, spray it down in sections with acetone and scrape or wipe off everything and you will have a completely bare surface to adhere to. As long as you don't soak or dump the acetone on it won't affect the cardboard negatively. Also watch out for the corners around where the visor bolts into, those parts can tear easily.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:20 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Lots of great ideas gang! I got the foam backed headliner material on ebay. It came out of North Carolina. I bought a 60" X 60" piece for $26 and change i think. and free shipping. I got it yesterday and it looks like decent quality although the color is a bit darker blue than the picture online. But, it is a 1995 not a 2015, nor is it a show truck! So the headliner is going to be a couple shades darker than the carpet. But it won't rub my head anymore!!
Sounds like 3M gets plenty of support here. They have a few options as well. 3M 77 seems popular, and then 3M 90 is for more strength. And then they have a 98 that I think you glue about anything down with. Recommended for heavy material and vinyl roofs,etc. I have used a couple gorilla glue products for other things and that brand seems good too but I think I will see if home depot or lowes has the 3M 77 or 90 and I will grab a can of that. If I can't find it easily I will see what else they have. Sounds like a bigger priority is the surface prep on the board it is getting glued too. I'm sure a poor prep job will result in poor grip with the glue. I will be sure to clean it up as good as possible. I have enough material to do 2 of these ( I think), but I'd really like to do it only once!!
Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I will get a few pics when I do this. We have rain the next few days and I don't have a garage so I will have to wait until mid week to tackle this. Time enough to order glue if I can't find any close by!

Old 05-11-2019, 05:26 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
While i am making the interior better, I was thinking about replacing the dash pad, it appears to be vinyl, or some type of plastic. It has cracks in it anyhow. I discovered that they are selling for around $100 and up for replacements. I was pretty shocked about that!! I might pop it off and see how it is covered. Thought about wrapping it in the headliner stuff but it will look tacky and probably will not look right there. I will have to scan the local pick and pulls for a pad if I decide to replace that. Not a part I want to invest $100 in.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:32 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
While i am making the interior better, I was thinking about replacing the dash pad, it appears to be vinyl, or some type of plastic. It has cracks in it anyhow. I discovered that they are selling for around $100 and up for replacements. I was pretty shocked about that!! I might pop it off and see how it is covered. Thought about wrapping it in the headliner stuff but it will look tacky and probably will not look right there. I will have to scan the local pick and pulls for a pad if I decide to replace that. Not a part I want to invest $100 in.
I bought a formed dash cover. Black. fits perfect,my saddle blanket seat cover is black with blue and grey ,matches the blue trim inside the truck halfway decent and the dash cover is nice as there is no reflection off the dash.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:34 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I got to thinking about doing this headliner and I remembered that I replaced the headliner in my first car. A 1979 Dodge Diplomat. Poop brown. The tan headliner was hanging. Being 17 and always tinkering on things, my buddy and I ripped out the headliner. I went to our local store, it was a Ben Franklins retail store, and they had a small craft area where they sold material and craft items. I bought a chunk of dark brown fur like material. I glued it in with liquid nails construction adhesive from a caulking gun. It looked cool at the time, looking back, maybe not the best choice of material but hey, I was young!! The main issue was the choice of adhesive. It worked great but stunk like hell all summer!! haha, the good old days!
I had that car a few months, then sold it and bought my first Ford, a 1983 Ranger. And it has been mostly Ford ever since.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Hey Zombie, where did you get your dash pad? My entire interior is blue. Not quite Navy blue, its not real dark. Black might work though being the instrument cluster cover is black

Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 AM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Zombie, where did you get your dash pad? My entire interior is blue. Not quite Navy blue, its not real dark. Black might work though being the instrument cluster cover is black
Amazon. If you get one take it out of the box, set it in the sun for a bit then place it. fits like a dream. have had mine now for a year. looks just as good as when it was new and no issues with it.

they do have a blue, but I went with black as it accents the seat covers and and breaks up the over all blue scheme of the trucks interior some.Also keeps things from sliding around on the dash so much in the dash tray and it's handy for hiding your GPS wires and what not under without having to twist under the dash to route them and all. No blockage on any of the defroster vents. it is a high quality made item, worth every penny to me. the workmanship and fit is unbelievably good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00836XMM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00836XMM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: Time to replace the sagging headliner