Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace the sagging headliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieF150
Amazon. If you get one take it out of the box, set it in the sun for a bit then place it. fits like a dream. have had mine now for a year. looks just as good as when it was new and no issues with it.

they do have a blue, but I went with black as it accents the seat covers and and breaks up the over all blue scheme of the trucks interior some.Also keeps things from sliding around on the dash so much in the dash tray and it's handy for hiding your GPS wires and what not under without having to twist under the dash to route them and all. No blockage on any of the defroster vents. it is a high quality made item, worth every penny to me. the workmanship and fit is unbelievably good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My dash isn't cracked but that is a nice looking piece. Do you have any pictures of it installed?

Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 AM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 95fiveoh
My dash isn't cracked but that is a nice looking piece. Do you have any pictures of it installed?
Here ya go. Please excuse the messy truck, there are 3 stages to my day as of late building a steel mill 70 miles away (Industrial electrician) Either Working,driving,or in a coma. Racking up the OT and 3 hours driving a day wears one out and truck would be junked up in a day again with as much as I have to tote (hard hat,tools,etc..), by the end of the week the truck is in better shape than I am

Passenger side fit

fitment around dash bezel and door side

fitment around dash bezel and by radio

Old 06-19-2019, 01:16 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Finally pulled headliner out today. As I am looking at the trucks roof now exposed, I wonder, why not just glue the cloth up to the roof and toss the cardboard? Anyone done this? I could use the headroom. I guess I could just leave paint showing but I kind of like the cloth ceiling

Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM
mark1986F150
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It'd be a lot louder. I didn't have a headliner for awhile and it made a pretty big difference when I found one at the junkyard and installed it.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I drove it to work yesterday with the headliner out. I didn't notice any difference. We should be getting rain today so I may find out how loud it is if it rains enough.
My truck is an XLT. I bet the XL model wouldn't have a cloth headliner. I had a 94 F150, it was an XL and I can't remember if it was a painted ceiling or cloth, it was nearly 10 years ago.
I'm going to try scraping the foam off my headliner. The foam is still pretty good, which I didn't expect. I'm not scrubbing that board for 3 hrs, I just need to find a quicker way to clean it up. Its tempting to try gluing the fabric right to the ceiling as is. It would be a little harder to get it up there nice but it would look good. Its not flat like the headliner board, it has a couple contours. I guess I will see if it is crazy loud in the rain. If not, I might try it. I have enough cloth to do 2 of these I think, so if it looks like crap I should still have enough for the real headliner

Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the thin foam kinda stuff off amazon or ebay (can't recall now) to glue to my backer board. I will say this, spend time getting your backer board even. If you have hunks missing it'll be exaggerated when you glue the foam cloth to your backer board. If I had it to do over, I might have used some body filler or something else to ensure my backer board was really nice and flat. It's like body work, if you think paint will hide almost done body work or almost flat, you're wrong, it will exaggerate it. A new headliner makes the whole truck look so much better. I doubt headliner fabric would stick well to just the metal overhead. I've driven many an old car or truck with no headliner, you just hear the rain a little louder. I put stick on stuff on my roof to dampen it even more than stock and it makes the whole truck more acoustically dead. It's some of that butyl mat with shiny aluminum foil backing and is real sticky. I only did it because I happened to have remainders of a box laying around.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another idea instead of the foam headliner material is a flag, if you can get one big enough or reasonable enough price. Or a piece of camo, which I wanted to do but my son talked me out of in case I ever resold, as some folks might not have liked that.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I have the material, similar to what was stock. The foam backed cloth. It was cheap enough on ebay at about $25 for a 5' x 5' piece. I'm going to work at sanding the old foam off my headliner board. It is in far better shape than I thought it would be so it is not coming off good at all. I thought about gluing new material to the old foam after a good scrub but some pieces came off and I thought it would end up showing and looking nasty. I'm just going to have to suck it up and work at cleaning the board. At least for the time being the ceiling in the truck isn't just open to the roof skin, it is nicely painted. I bet a work truck would just have that for the ceiling, no headliner. It looks nice and has more detail than a headliner. If this headliner deal doesn't work out then what I have now will be what I have forever. haha

Old 06-21-2019, 06:00 PM
daltonjamesadams
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Zombie F150, are you working at Osceola or Blytheville?

Old 06-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Exwhyze
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
There is a little attachment for a drill with swinging arms that knock stuff off, kind of like a wire wheel on steroids. I used it for removing caulk/mastic from a metal roof so we could put on new gutters. I wonder if there is a similar thing with, say, weedwhacker string material, that would knock off all that BS without totalling that cardboard. Otherwise, you could try extremely coarse sandpaper or a scotch brite pad. I'm about to put myself into the same mess in a few months, good luck!

Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I know the sanding wheels you are talking about. It's worth a try! I tried using an upholstery brush with stiff bristles but it's going to take me a long time to get it done this way.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I finally got around to playing with the headliner again. I took my stiff bristle brush and scrubbed it pretty aggressively all over the headliner. I did not remove all of the foam. It was stuck really well to the board. I removed anything loose, and for the most part the loose foam as only near where the visors are. I decided to just glue the new stuff right to the old foam. Not sure how long it will last but it came out pretty nice. You can see the low spots from the missing foam, but again, only where the visors are. Now that it is installed, with visors in place, you really can't see the weird spots.
I know some of you will say I shouldn't have done it that way, and that it might not last. All that may be true. The new stuff adhered really well to the old stuff. I used 3M 77 adhesive, a whole can for this headliner. I don't think its going anywhere for a while. It looks great and the color even came out better than I thought it would. My interior is blue, I thought the cloth I bought was too dark but after I installed it I could see that it fit pretty well. Really probably close to original, my carpet and door panels are faded from the SC sun.
I will try to get a picture of it to post here. I will say, if you want a perfect headliner, take the time to clean all the old stuff off. But for me this was a big improvement for a truck with peeling paint and leaky engine. I was just tired of the cloth rubbing my head! I'm happy with it and I think it looks great.