Sponsored by:

Vibration sound from hell = Flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 PM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration sound from hell = Flexplate?

So yesterday, after a weekend trip about 2 hours away. I pull up to Costco and my engine sounds like it is going to rip out of my rig. Long story short, its not constant and it does not do it above 1000 RPMs. No other symptoms, and zero codes. I have determined, in my opinion and two friends, that the sound is coming from under the engine/tranny. I did some google searching and found some videos that sound like mine and they all reported flywheel problems. Anyone have another ideas? Thanks for any help.

heres the youtube video I made so you can hear it.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Torque converter or flywheel is my guess as well. Miles on the truck?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:12 AM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Torque converter or flywheel is my guess as well. Miles on the truck?
It has just over 230k. According to OR transmission has been serviced every 50k. Last time at 200k.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Not too bad a job to get in there. Remove front side of rear drive shaft (mark it well), disconnect front drive shaft from Xfer case, remove Xfer case (buy new gasket for re-install), remove transmission (it can stay on the transmission jack if you just slide it down and back), inspect/replace flywheel and torque converter (paying special attention to the 6 torque converter lugs) and then slide it all back together. Make sure to clean the old red loctite off all bolts that had it and apply new.

I have done 3 in my driveway (mine and a couple friends) and one in the sand. The sand was not fun.

Have you crawled under the truck to listen, or just from the door there?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

If you are going in there, I highly recommend a real, diesel torque converter be put in while it is apart. The one Ford put in there is a joke.

Strongly recommend this one: Ford Heavy Duty Torque Converters

The part number you would want is the 2648APSRV

I am running one and the folks listed above that I helped out in my driveway and the sand are running them.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
Not too bad a job to get in there. Remove front side of rear drive shaft (mark it well), disconnect front drive shaft from Xfer case, remove Xfer case (buy new gasket for re-install), remove transmission (it can stay on the transmission jack if you just slide it down and back), inspect/replace flywheel and torque converter (paying special attention to the 6 torque converter lugs) and then slide it all back together. Make sure to clean the old red loctite off all bolts that had it and apply new.

I have done 3 in my driveway (mine and a couple friends) and one in the sand. The sand was not fun.

Have you crawled under the truck to listen, or just from the door there?
Sand??? No thanks. I've dug a trench in dirt to drop a tranny on a Gran Torino

Yes I have gotten under there. I took the dust plate off, but wasn't able to see any cracks. Sounds like from other similar issues, that it's possible the cracks are around or near the bolts. I'm having a local trans shop taker a look at it today to see if they can pinpoint the problem. When I had it off, I did run it and I could see that the the flexplate and/or torque converter seemed to move in unison with the noise. It's definitely a lot louder underneath.

Thank you for the tips.

If you are going in there, I highly recommend a real, diesel torque converter be put in while it is apart. The one Ford put in there is a joke.

I am running one and the folks listed above that I helped out in my driveway and the sand are running them.
EDIT: link worked on my computer not on my phone
Is there any particular vendor you know of that you would recommend for this? I did a quick search and a few vastly different options popped up.

Also, is there anything else I should think about doing while I'm back there?

Thanks again for your help!!

Old 05-01-2019, 01:08 PM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass

Ok, the link worked when I got to my computer. After talking to the sales rep thats the one they recommended too! You have any leads on a good flexplate?

Old 05-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

I don't have any leads, but I would buy from a reputable company with good quality control.

Stock: https://puredieselpower.com/ford/7.3...c3z6375aa.html

Major upgrade: https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/produ...erstroke,-7.3L

eBay has them for ~$100, but I wouldn't buy one of those cheap Chinese ones.

This one from Summit might work for you: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...oview=SKU&ar=1

Old 05-02-2019, 11:38 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
if you need a converter the one Mike list looks pretty cool., how much are they ?

Give my friends over at D@P a call, if you want I can meet you at their shopping Sacramento and watch them make one. you will know more about converters then...well more that most people care to know... lmao

https://www.facebook.com/DP-Torque-C...2086486806279/

Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Camo, they run $600 if you buy through the eBay store, or you can order direct for a SIGNIFICANT discount...a good friend ordered his direct, and he got it for right around $400 since they didn't have to pay all the eBay fees.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
that's great price if they are as good as you say. I'd run one,

the guys at DP have been building mine (n both race cars and my DD ) for years and while they are good they are also $1000
but they will also cut it open and change the stall or any other parameter you need built to your liking for the life of the converter.
Blow up a trans ? no need to buy a new converter just have them chuck it up in the lathe, cut it open and throughly clean it. plus its just cool watching a machinist build yours to your needs. ( and if you don't know what your needs exactly are they are pretty good at figuring that out )

Old 05-02-2019, 12:44 PM
peppersfords
Mountain Pass
The price I got from them over the phone was under $500 with shipping for both my purchase and my core. They have an $1100 option called the works but it seemed overkill.

Camo I'll check out d&p for the sake of going local. Gonna hear back by the end of the day from the shop to see if they think its more than just the flexplate. So far it sounds like I'm gonna be getting a new TC and flexplate at least. Once I compare the OEM from Ford and that summit one, Ill decide on one of those I'm sure.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:58 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
doh........

Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
D@P's converter is overkill covered in bling. . just the why I like it