Thinking about getting a small trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Thinking about getting a small trailer

Wife and I have been thinking about getting a small two wheel trailer to keep the truck camper on. That way we could move the camper around on our lot without loading it on the truck and when I get the garage done, it would not have to be so high. Anyone using a small trailer to move their TC around?

Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,962 Likes on 1,221 Posts
No but I know a fellow who does. Uses it to store his camper in the pole barn tractor shed on the ranch. Makes it easy for him to move it around for ranch and farm equipment as needed.
Also the RV dealership that I just ordered / bought our new camper had has one of those on the lot that they took in on trade. People were trading for a 5th wheel and included the trailer along with the camper they were trading in. Salesman told us they used it to move their camper into the garage.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Thanks. That's about the size we are considering, but with lower sidewalls. We use out truck so we can't leave our camper on it and it seems like we are always finding a reason we have to move it around our 1 1/2 acre lot.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:53 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,962 Likes on 1,221 Posts
The one John has in the tractor shed has pretty small wire mesh sides on it. We have to throw a cargo net over it when we "multi-task" it with duck blind repair supplies and duck and goose decoys we haul out to the pond.

The one in the pics was at the dealership. The mesh screen was all removeable. When I saw it in person, they looked to tall for the camper to sit down into as long as they were mounted on the trailer..

I had the same problem out on the ranch with the campers always being in the way. Taking it off the pickup and leaving it on the hay trailer worked until my sister moved in out on the ranch and kind of took over things. There is a fellow at the storage lot we currently use that keeps his on a pickup bed converted trailer. He can park it in front of his sail boat and easily move it when he only wants to use the boat. The problem I have that is trying to understand the weight distribution and why it doesn't tip up on it's tail, but it seems to work. I think I'd put a few bags of concrete (solidified) on the "A" frame tongue just to keep my blood pressure down and nerves under control...but I may be over thinking that.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:05 AM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 749 Likes on 683 Posts
Using a pickup-bed trailer, or any trailer for that matter, depends on the center of gravity of the camper and the location of the axle on the trailer. I know from experience that once a camper gets much longer than 10.5' (not including overhang) their center of gravity ends up over the pickup axle most of the time.

Some of those `70's Ford Camper Specials had the axle further back than most pickups and would make great trailers for this.

We're talking low speed and storage here, but it's worth mentioning: I've heard of folks that tow their slide-in camper in a pickup-bed trailer out on the highway. To me this would be scary for a number of reasons. Among other things, frontal area of the camper/pickup-trailer serves to push the center of gravity backwards as airspeed increases. If the center of gravity was close to the axle anyways, this could put the combination over the edge and have it start trying to castor.