6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Towing Boat AND Trailer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Towing Boat AND Trailer!!!!

Ok I was looking around to find a way to get our boat AND a caping trailer to the camp site with just one truck and you will NOT BELIEVE what I saw!!! Of course this guy has a Ford F350 DRW 6.7 PSD truck and look how he does it!!!! I am just amazed! This gives new meaning to the saying "Built Ford Tough"!!!

Boat Loading on Top of Truck.MP4 - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Here is another pic!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 AM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enguniuty...yes, dumb as heck though....why mess with something like that when you could hook it right behind a fifth wheel camper and just triple tow it?? Really...that boat isn't all that heavy, but sure seems like a risky way to haul a boat....Sure I'd stop and watch, and then say to myself, what in the heck was that guy thinking....that's just obsurd...

For real, trade the TT camper for a fifth, add on a good hitch on the back and go....way easier than tinkering with that set up IMHO.....that can't be good on the boat trailer from what I saw in the video...wait till he hits the wrong bump, and his boat is now embedded in the front of his camper...

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, does the V hull of the boat cut the wind resistance of the towed trailer? Pretty creative, since the boat is clearly tied down well to the trailer and I'm sure he must tie the trailer to the bed, not sure I see a problem with it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by MNDiesel2
IMHO.....that can't be good on the boat trailer from what I saw in the video...wait till he hits the wrong bump, and his boat is now embedded in the front of his camper...
I don't agree, Chris. I'm sure the first time we started towing 15,000lb trailers with a tongue locking on a small, 2 5/16" ball people said the same thing. Isn't that more "Risky" under your thinking? I mean...that much weight being attached at only one point by a piece of metal only ~1" wide at the base of the ball?

The boat trailer isn't undergoing anything more stressful than it would see at the ramp and moving through traffic, and as long as it's secured at the frame rails at the front of the bed and the back of the trailer, like it is, there is NOTHING short of a bad wreck that would cause that boat to come off.

These things are highly engineered by folks who stand a LOT to lose in the event of a wrongful death lawsuit. And these aren't even that new, they've been around for at least a few years now, can you find me a case where one came off the truck?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a cool idea compared to the normal way of accomplishing this. I can see the benefits of having a shorter tow vehicle combination rather than having a train. And if your whole set up would otherwise go above the legal limit of 20m length.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A major incident waiting to happen.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I like it!
Wish I had a pic of my buddies set up, he used to put 3 sleds on his truck. 2 on a deck and the third on top of a frame he made on top of the other 2. Top sled was about 10' in the air and I can tell you the ride up the 45 deg ramp was very scary! But with no trailer we could get well into the back country with some chains and a winch!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Darren how about this?
I really don't see the need for the extra trailer in the truck bed when you can just make a ramp to load the ATV's like this though.

MNDiesel2 - If you look closely at the picture of just the truck and the trailer you will see the eye bolts securing the trailer to the truck bed and I am sure there is something to that effect in the front. The winch that is used is capable of pulling 8000lbs. Nothing short of a bad accident like Crasy001 said is going to cause this trailer to come off the truck. The other thing you said about why not just hitch the boat to the back of the fifth wheel is that in California it requires a Class A licese and at the moment I do not remember the length restriction. Here if you get a speeding ticket say goodbye to your class A license.

The one glaring thing I see is the height issue with the front of the boat trailer. There are some overpasses that are not very high and the thought of hitting it would be one concern. Besides the initial shock of seeing someone do this I have to admit it is pretty cool.

My boat is much heavier than that and I would not be able to do this...I just thought I would share this with everyone just for the shock value...not to mention he is using a Ford 6.7 PSD!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering how well the boat is secured to the trailer and the trailer to the truck, how is this any different than say a Truck Camper sitting in the bed? The Boat/Trailer combination likely weighs less than some campers and the majority of that weight is hanging on the stern where it's low as possible. Still don't see a problem.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by RobFlag
Considering how well the boat is secured to the trailer and the trailer to the truck, how is this any different than say a Truck Camper sitting in the bed? The Boat/Trailer combination likely weighs less than some campers and the majority of that weight is hanging on the stern where it's low as possible. Still don't see a problem.
You are correct on the weight...that boat and trailer only weigh 3000 lbs.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Here is another image of the loading ramp.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i guess if you have to get a class A then that ads a new perspective. I know there are alot of different towing restrictions in different states, so a Guys gotta do what a guys gotta do i guess, and I gotta hand it to the fella, HE DID IT!

Heck I'd still get the class A if I had to though, to pull my rig that is..I pull 72 feet, from the front bumper to the tip of prop, with a Cougar 27SAB 5ver in the middle.

Guess I really don't think it's to unsafe at all, just looks like a bunch of monkeying around compared to hooking up a fifth with the boat on the back is all..... Get a good solid hitch on the back of a fifth, and don't worry about it. Really the turning isn't that much worst than just pulling your back trailer, because the 5ver wheels almost follow the truck tracks.

No Tom, i don't think pulling 15000 pounds on a 2 5/16 ball is unsafe, but I'd feel a heck of alot better with a gooseneck or 5ver hookup.

So are you saying this setup is sold Commercially? I'd like to know what they get for one....Also i didn't see the extra strapping yesterday on the boat itself, the pictures today clearly show it is tied down securely, no I don't think it'll go anywhere. I don't know if I'd wanna try it (that much weight) on anything other than a dually. I gotta imagine it raises the truck's center of gravity quite a bit with 3000 pounds that high, I know it's not that high up, but considering how much is above the bedrails of the truck, .I think it might feel a tad tippy on anything other than a dually is all.

Quick Reply: Towing Boat AND Trailer!!!!