Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Clutch/ flywheel help again ?!?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Pigpendirtface08
Freshman User
Pigpendirtface08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clutch/ flywheel help again ?!?

So after installing a new clutch the truck has been running alright past month but I've always noticed something being off but everyone I know says it sounds fine drive it until it breaks. So doing so I think it's almost there again. The shifter is shaking violently more than normal. I'm thinking the flywheel is uneven due to some bone head trying to resurface not knowing what he's doing there's definitely hot spots. Not sure if I overthinking it but tranny is to hot to touch hotter than normal it seems. There's a squeek most of the time until you press pedal slightly which I heard could be imput shaft bearing? No one else says they hear it but I hear like a whinekinda like something is rubbing if that makes sense? My truck is a 85 6.9 4 spd single mass flywheel. Any advice is appreciated it's my only truck and my source of income cause I haul wood etc... Thanks

Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM
tecgod13
Postmaster
tecgod13 has a good reputation on FTE.tecgod13 has a good reputation on FTE.
If the tranny is too hot to touch, thats a problem! I'm not sure what the normal operating temperature is though. Are you sure there is enough oil in it?
A squeak until you push the pedal sounds more like throw-out bearing to me.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Pigpendirtface08
Freshman User
Pigpendirtface08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No the squeak is there until you press the pedal also was wondering if I could use a 5-speed tranny and that kind of a setup off of a 351 89 F-250 if it would be compatible even if it doesn't have as many bolt holes as the six nine flywheel does if they lineup say there's 6 vs the 9 wholes the 6.9 has and they line up will that work? I don't think it's the Mazda 5 speed it's the next size up the one that I care is compatible also yes I filled it with v and a half quarts I think at least five for sure and the oil hit the top whole

Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 PM
DarkOverCast
Elder User
DarkOverCast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Trans from the 351 uses a different bellhosuing pattern

Sounds like your throw out bearing is just squeaking a little.

I wouldn't worry much on the input shaft bearing, I drove mine for two years on a bad one and it never let me down.

It sounds like it's running good enough and gettin you around, be happy and save up for the proper clutch and a new flywheel or have that one ground. You should be able to snag a clutch and flywheel off of rock auto for $200 plus shipping. Not a bad deal imo

Old 04-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Leroy Unlisted
Elder User
Leroy Unlisted is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Could be a bad surface job. Idk sounds like it.
But it's okay to 'burn' the clutch a bit on our trucks in my experience.

I know usually that's a bad idea, but after a set, the friction material was 100% and the springs in the basket were gone.. 7yrs later.

Slip the clutch some to 'do your own machining' on the flywheel. It is usually a bad idea I do know. But I was surprised when I took apart my first set to find a brand new looking friction disk and ***d springs.

But a Hotspot flywheel won't wear even, if the guy f'd it up it should have driven bad right away, but if hot spots won't allow even wear it'll show up a little later.

I slip my clutch now, there's enough material, let that flywheel wear if it's okay and leave less stress on the springs.

TBC I use perfection clutch on 4sp 85 idi.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 AM
Leroy Unlisted
Elder User
Leroy Unlisted is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If it did that shaking - vibration thing right after dude resurface it, he did a **** job, get a new one or done my different feller. He did do a bad job for sure.

Just saying if it started after awhile try slipping it slightly. Or it's got hard spots that won't wear evenly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.