Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Excursion cut off while driving

Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 PM
poofyo101
Junior User
poofyo101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Excursion cut off while driving

2004 6.0 Excursion
199k Miles
SCT x4 Tuner with tow tune on it

Drove the truck for an hour today no issues until
was driving at low speed around 20 mph when the SCT tuner all of a sudden screen went from the gauge screen to show the turn engine on screen.
About 300 ft later while making a turn in the intersection, the truck cuts off in the middle of the turn. Electronics on the car were still working such as lights and radio however no power steering, brakes etc. I put the truck back into park and cranked it immediately back up no issues. No CEL. NO stored codes according to the SCT. Following the incident I drove it another 1.5 hours to drop it off at the mechanic. No issues.

This did happen one other time while driving at low speeds, it cut off as it did this time.
Where should I start? I have seen some other threads regarding this type of issue in the 7.3s and on other super duty trucks.
CPS Module?
IPR?

The two times it happened was low speed. Not sure if it was coincidence or if it does not happen at high speeds.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 PM
hrkdrivr
Junior User
hrkdrivr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had similar issues for months, same year, same engine. My problems seemed to happen after hard stops, turns or acceleration.

After throwing parts at it for years (one bank of injectors and numerous other things I can't remember) and multiple times stranded with no restart, one mechanic finally figured it out.

The engine was acting like a fuel delivery problem because it was.

The inverted funnel/strainer looking thing at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube is plastic. It had disintegrated and was allowing pieces of plastic to be pumped into the fuel lines causing intermittent clogs. I think any abrupt handling stirred up junk which was picked up and pumped downstream.

They replaced the fuel pickup assembly, flushed the tank and lines and it's been fine since.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 AM
yzf450motoxrider
Freshman User
yzf450motoxrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a similar issue only at idle. Have you checked your fuel pressure?

Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 AM
poofyo101
Junior User
Originally Posted by hrkdrivr View Post
I had similar issues for months, same year, same engine. My problems seemed to happen after hard stops, turns or acceleration.

After throwing parts at it for years (one bank of injectors and numerous other things I can't remember) and multiple times stranded with no restart, one mechanic finally figured it out.

The engine was acting like a fuel delivery problem because it was.

The inverted funnel/strainer looking thing at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube is plastic. It had disintegrated and was allowing pieces of plastic to be pumped into the fuel lines causing intermittent clogs. I think any abrupt handling stirred up junk which was picked up and pumped downstream.

They replaced the fuel pickup assembly, flushed the tank and lines and it's been fine since.
Was it also at low speed?

Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 AM
poofyo101
Junior User
Originally Posted by yzf450motoxrider View Post
Not yet. Just happened last night.
It does have a rough idle sometimes. Maybe 1-20 stops at a stop light it will give a rough idle but once you accelerate no issues again.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 AM
01__Excursion
Elder User
01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all01__Excursion is a name known to all
The fuel sending unit pre strainer does degrade and break off, leaving your low to empty fuel level at a higher level. But momentary loss of fuel to the engine shouldn't cause your tuner to reset to it's start screen. That would probably occur if there was an interruption of power to the tuner. I'd say check your tuner connections for sure.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 AM
yzf450motoxrider
Freshman User
yzf450motoxrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My original stalling issue was caused by the ipr pigtail it was causing a rough idle and stall. After I fixed that it was solved but the stall came back created by a different cause. To know for sure youíll have to hook up the computer and monitor the oil pressure during the stall. Itís a pain but the only way to know for sure.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:00 AM
poofyo101
Junior User
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion View Post
The fuel sending unit pre strainer does degrade and break off, leaving your low to empty fuel level at a higher level. But momentary loss of fuel to the engine shouldn't cause your tuner to reset to it's start screen. That would probably occur if there was an interruption of power to the tuner. I'd say check your tuner connections for sure.
That was my thoughts that fuel issue made sense until you add in the fact the tuner did not recognize the truck was on while it was on for 300 more ft.
The tuner connection is good as I fired it right back up when it cut off in the intersection and everything worked as planned. I will also say the tuner on the restart was reading mostly 0s until I unplugged it from the back of the tunerside to restart it.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 AM
poofyo101
Junior User
My original stalling issue was caused by the ipr pigtail it was causing a rough idle and stall. After I fixed that it was solved but the stall came back created by a different cause. To know for sure youíll have to hook up the computer and monitor the oil pressure during the stall. Itís a pain but the only way to know for sure.
That was my mechanics original thought of where to start with the IPR.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
Stop guessing or you will just jump from on thing to the next until your wallet is empty.

1. Remove any tune, tuner, programmer or other device that alters the stock PCM function.
2. Get Forscan or the equivalent and monitor the vehicle until you pinpoint the cause.
3. Install a fuel pressure gauge.

once you can pinpoint the cause you can then fix it.

Untill it stalls with the tuner removed I would assume it is being caused by the tuner.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
Stop guessing or you will just jump from on thing to the next until your wallet is empty.

1. Remove any tune, tuner, programmer or other device that alters the stock PCM function.
2. Get Forscan or the equivalent and monitor the vehicle until you pinpoint the cause.

Untill it stalls with the tuner removed I would assume it is being caused by the tuner.
I'm in rep jail or I'd hit this one.

These simple steps should be burned into the header and footer of the 7.3l forum's pages. To them, I would add a couple elementary diagnostic ground rules as well: check engine oil level and quality, ensure minimum fuel level, battery and ground connections clean and secure, batteries at acceptable voltage and charging system properly functioning. Troubleshooting a computer controlled engine with a sketchy voltage/battery/charging system is the definition of frustration, and adding a tuner throws in a world of variables not covered in the shop manual.

I've seen people throw literally thousands of dollars at a problem that would have been reconciled with the above-mentioned tools, procedures, some patience, and access to the shop manual. Worse, I've seen shops charge people thousands of dollars without having done many of these steps... and never fix the problem.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM
poofyo101
Junior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post

Will do this.

I have 3 other excursions and the same tuner and have had no issues with any of the others ones.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:49 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
The fact that you noted an anomoly in the operation of the tuner, followed shortly thereafter by a stall, does indicate a relationship - whether it is cause or effect is yet to be determined. The tuner itself may be perfectly fine, with a simple connection at fault.

As with all intermittent issues, it will likely be a frustrating journey to find the cause. Keep us updated, resolutions add to the collective knowledge base.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 PM
poofyo101
Junior User
Mechanic has been driving the truck for the past few weeks with no repeat of the issue yet. Will continue to diagnosis.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by poofyo101 View Post
Mechanic has been driving the truck for the past few weeks with no repeat of the issue yet. Will continue to diagnosis.
Problems never show themselves when a shop mechanic drives them. As soon as you leave it will happen again.
Fuel pressure gauge should be standard equipment on a 6.0. I have a 2003 and when I dropped tye tank last week to rebuild the sending unit the screen and funnel on the bottom of the pickup were laying in the tank broken in pieces. I dropped the tank by myself, not hard to do at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.