2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

2017 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 AM
Duane Erlewine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Explorer

On Friday I started my Explorer, no lights came on, no nav system, no dash board instruments, speedometer didn’t work, I turned the car off and restarted, the same thing happened again, I drove less than 2 minutes to a dealership and it did the same thing for them, they hooked it up to a computer and the guy told me that he had never seen so many error codes but couldn’t start on it until Monday. I left the car with them and got me a rental, as of yesterday (4/16/2019) they still have my car but all the error codes have cleared and the Explorer is starting up correctly. Has anyone experienced this? I’m glad that there is nothing wrong but there was a problem, they saw the problem, but never fixed it. I have 3000 miles left on my warranty, I also have $250 tied up in a car rental, I really don’t have to do this again especially when the warranty runs out.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
I'll bet all they did was disconnect the battery for a few minutes. On reconnect, all the assorted computers come up from cold. You'd be amazed at the problems that can be "fixed" on these vehicles with the equivalent of a computer cold re-boot.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:22 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
I'll bet all they did was disconnect the battery for a few minutes. On reconnect, all the assorted computers come up from cold. You'd be amazed at the problems that can be "fixed" on these vehicles with the equivalent of a computer cold re-boot.
Sounds about right. It's not an Explorer issue. It's not a model. It's not a Ford issue. All of them are going the same direction. It's a battery disconnect. This is like the new secret fix for all of it. The more insane part, ODB2 code readers are going way and it will be more of a need for the table style (more expensive) platform scan tools. I found out from my neighbor, more vehicles need the Table style platform scan tools to work on systems like E brakes since they need to be calibrated when worked on. As more systems are computer based, there will be just as much physical work as there is computer calibrations. If you want these higher end scan and calibration tools, be prepared to hand over at least $1500 at a place like Harbor Freight or the tool trucks at even a higher cost. Then don't forget the subscription costs in the $400-1200/ year range so you have continued access to the software and programs to work on your vehicle.