Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cab Tipping

Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Steve Harlow
Senior User
Steve Harlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steve Harlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cab Tipping

I gotta repair the floor and back of my cab, as well as grind down and paint the frame underneath it. However, i lack something like an engine hoist, or the space to put it and the bed somewhere while i do it.

I was thinking of pulling the bed off, leaving the front on the frame of the truck and building a stand to support the bed on the other end, and then putting moving cloth on the frame and tipping the cab back, and doing the work to it and the frame like that.

However i'm worried that the back of the cab might not support it's own weight, or may dent/damage the sheet metal. And i'm also concerned about the overall weight of both the cab and the bed, and how much man power it might take to move or safely tip them.

Anyone ever try this? Or is there a better way that doesn't require lifting the cab off with a hoist

Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
mine stayed on it's back for months and never saw any adverse effects. You can rent an engine hoist for a few bucks and get the cab removed, then knock up a dolly for it with 2x4s and H.F. wheels... pad it with moving pads between the cab and dolly... I lifted mine off alone with a engine hoist and some chains then once on the floor I rolled it back by myself (with adequate padding) The bed was never assembled until it was time to install it for mock up and leaned against the shop wall for years... it's easier to handle with the doors off but I"ve done it both ways
john

Old 04-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Steve Harlow
Senior User
Steve Harlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steve Harlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't have the luxury of a big shop or other space for it, so i can't pull it off as there's simply nowhere to put it.

Really i'm just particularly concerned about putting the cab's entire weight on very small contact points with the frame. I'm guessing it weighs approximately 300-400 pounds which should be ok, but if there is a problem with that i'd prefer not to learn the hard way

Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Gicknordon
Posting Guru
Gicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to behold
When I tipped my cab back to paint the floor and firewall, I put a piece of plywood on the frame and a piece of carpet on that to help distribute the load, rather that the weight just being on the frame rails like you are concerned about.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 AM
pweng1
Posting Guru
pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
The fire wall side is mch stronger than the back for not denting. I had mine with it touching when i did my wish bone brackets.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 AM
moejr
Senior User
moejr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used a jack to lift the cab off and put threaded rod in the mounts to support the front and blocks for the back..... worked out well enough for what needed to be done.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 AM
5851a
Elder User
5851a is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have heard of rolling them back on a old mattress. Never tried myself though.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Steve Harlow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post
When I tipped my cab back to paint the floor and firewall, I put a piece of plywood on the frame and a piece of carpet on that to help distribute the load, rather that the weight just being on the frame rails like you are concerned about.

That's exactly what i had in mind. So no dents, no deformation of the cab`s structural ribbing?

Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
If you are going to be grinding and welding (think fire) with the cab tipped forward or back something a bit more fire retardant would be appropriate. I just painted the cab bottom with it rolled forward and soft padded.
As an aside, I sailed by the Sunshine Coast last summer with a friend from Vancouver B. C., beautiful area.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
Is it anything like cow tipping?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
yep, sept cows are easier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.