1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

U Joint Flange Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Mearntain
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Whatcha mean?? All ya have to do is take some 4ft x 8ft square sheets of cardboard, crease them about two feet up along the long side, place the cardboard against the windward side of the truck with the crease on the ground...now the cardboard is 2ft on the ground, 2ft up on the side of the truck and 8ft long. Shovel some snow onto the 2ft creased flap on the ground to hold it in place and Vola!! Instant wind break! Take a light bulb on a extension cord under there (it gives you the false sense of heat).

I recall doing this on three sides of my '65 F100 one wintery day. What was I doing? I had decided to change out the main bearings in my 390 from under the truck! Yep, fun times......

BarnieTrk
Trust me, I had many years of doing that and dont miss it one bit ha. This garage was long overdue. The only thing that could make things better would be a lift...maybe one day.

Becky, I'll keep that in mind with the slide hammer. I'm planning to get back into it this evening. Ran into some issues with my daily driver that I had to fix last night, so I should be good to go today. Maybe I'll take a puller home with me from work to just play it safe.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
Good call on the puller, that made things super easy, and it was definitely needed all the way until she was fully pulled off. Quick question before I put stuff back together in case I have another issue.

I had 8 in-lbs that I measured before I took stuff apart. The pinion nut was torqued to greater than my wrench would read, which was 250 ft lbs, but not much more by the feels of it. Does that high of a torque on the nut coupled with the lower rotational torque mean I have something else that needs to be replaced?

Secondly, I thought the yolk was keyed, so I did not mark its alignment to the shaft. I only marked the nuts alignment to the yolk, which I'm realizing now was completely pointless and will not help me anymore. What does this mean for me?

Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
The seal puller that I have for my slide hammer wont not only wont fit between the pinion and seal lip, but the angle is also wrong to go around the pinion shaft. If the shaft wasnt there, I'd be in business. I'm having trouble locating something that will work at the auto parts store too without pulling the housing and using a press. Any recommendations or pointers to the proper tool I should be using?

Old 04-18-2019, 05:43 PM
78ShortBed-
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
That is a inner race/bearing puller, not a seal puller.

BRB

Old 04-18-2019, 05:47 PM
78ShortBed-
More Turbo
A sharp chisel, you can gently cut the front part of the seal, then a bar, heavy screwdriver and pop it out.
Or get one of these. Parts houses carry them.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-seal-puller-p

Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I saw one of those tools but some reason thought that was for something else. Do they work pretty easily? Or would the 45 min round trip not be worth it to pick one up? For how cheap it is, if they work well, I'll go ride up the road.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 PM
78ShortBed-
More Turbo
They are ok. Sometimes they will actually tear/rip the front metal part of the seal instead of pull it out, but just try another spot. Just be a bulldog (persistent) and it will come out.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
Perfect, sounds good.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Becky_is_a_66
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you have the tapered and threaded end attachments for the slide hammer used to pull/pop dents out? If so drill couple small 1/8 " holes in metal part of seal - thread in and use slide hammer.

Exceeding 250 ft pounds to remove a lock nut that has been on there likely 50+ years sounds normal to me, so would not be concerned about that.

There is no master spline on the yoke/pinion interface; does not matter how you put back on. The mark to reassemble in the same orientation talked about in the shop manual is the driveshaft to the yoke I assume that has to do with balance on the driveshaft.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
I'm pretty sure i do have that attachment in the kit, I'll check in the morning, got a long weekend for the holiday. The new nut I ordered ended up not being the right one so it looks like I'll be using the old one again. The new one was way too big, not sure what it was supposed to be for.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM
78ShortBed-
More Turbo
There's a danger of getting metal cuttings in the front of the bearing if you drill.....

Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
I think I'm going to try the seal puller first and go from there.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 PM
Becky_is_a_66
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 78ShortBed-
There's a danger of getting metal cuttings in the front of the bearing if you drill.....
That is a good point. If you do drill holes to use slide hammer coat drill bit in wheel bearing grease - that will hold the shavings to the bit.

Yes, it is tough sometimes when ordering parts for these old trucks. Places like to "expand" the fitment for the parts they are selling.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I've had better luck working a old wood chisel around the seal lip than with the 'hook' seal puller.... yeah, I have both, but prefer the chisel approach.

"Your mileage may vary". - BarnieTrk

Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
I know one thing, and that's that she'll be out tomorrow. Between all of the options that I have now, I'll make something work. As always, thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: U Joint Flange Removal