Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Blue tooth/google maps

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Gary's 150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue tooth/google maps

Why can I not hear the voice driving commands for google maps when my i phone XS blue tooth is on. It does not come through the radio speakers, nor the phone itself. If I disable the blue tooth, the voice commands come through the phone. I tried turning up the volume control on the radio when the voice commands should have been speaking ( same as I did to turn the volume up on the navigation system). I tried with and without the USB cable connected. It's a 2016 F 150 with the latest version SYN 3 with navigation software update that enables you to access Waze navigation and Alexa skills on in car display.
Thanks
Gary

Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I had the same problem, but with an aftermarket Bluetooth radio. There was a setting in Google Maps that asks if you want directions to be sent over Bluetooth. Mine was turned off, I'll bet yours is, too.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Gary's 150
New User
I could not find what you stated in your reply on my phone, but I have "Play Voice Over Bluetooth" enabled. Thanks Mark for your quick reply.
Gary

Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Do you have the prompts volume turned all the way down?

Old 04-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Gary's 150
New User
Not sure what you mean by prompts volume. All the volume controls in the google maps settings are turned to loud. Thank you for your reply
Gary

Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
I've read in a couple of forums that if you go into the bluetooth settings for SYNC that if you turn off media audio, but leave on phone calls it will work.

Of course, if you want to play a podcast or music, that seems like it would not work.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Gary's 150
New User
I could not find "Media Audio" or "phone calls" in the blue tooth settings, only what devices that are listed. Thanks for your input.
Gary

Old 04-06-2019, 04:36 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary's 150
Why can I not hear the voice driving commands for google maps when my i phone XS blue tooth is on. It does not come through the radio speakers, nor the phone itself. If I disable the blue tooth, the voice commands come through the phone. I tried turning up the volume control on the radio when the voice commands should have been speaking ( same as I did to turn the volume up on the navigation system). I tried with and without the USB cable connected. It's a 2016 F 150 with the latest version SYN 3 with navigation software update that enables you to access Waze navigation and Alexa skills on in car display.
Thanks
Gary
Have you had the APIM checked because Bluetooth problems are a known issue with them.
With that being said and I’m not sure if you care but running navigation via Bluetooth will quickly drain the battery in your cell phone. I also have an iPhone XS Max and everything works so much better via Apple CarPlay and USB.

I’m not sure if you’ve done this but when you have Google Maps on the actual SYNC 3 screen, tap on the screen and in the top right hand corner, hit the settings button and after you hit it, the screen will bring up ways to change or adjust things on Google Maps and one of these adjustments is an actual volume button.

I hope this helps you out.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:38 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For my case, I have a Samsung S9 which I mate to my F150 via Android Autoemploying both Bluetooth and a USB cable. It is my understanding that the same procedure is employed via I Phone and Apple Car Play.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 AM
Gary's 150
New User
Thank you for your reply, I do not have car play. After some more searching, I found in google maps a HFP button that was not turned on. Enabling that I now have sound.
Gary

Old 04-06-2019, 08:09 AM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for your reply, I do not have car play. After some more searching, I found in google maps a HFP button that was not turned on. Enabling that I now have sound.
Gary
I'm sorry, HFP?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyDog
I'm sorry, HFP?
Yeah. That threw me too. I had to go to the google to figure it out.

HFP = Hands Free Profile

Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Gary
Glad to hear that you figured it out.

If your vehicle has the eight inch screen, the only thing that you need to do to enable Apple CarPlay is to swap out the USB hub for the one that’s CarPlay compatible. It’s a less than $50.00 dollar part and it can be installed by you in under ten minutes.

In closing, you have CarPlay because it’s built into the iPhone.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 AM
Brown Dog ADV
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question USB Hub?

Originally Posted by GABAR
If your vehicle has the eight inch screen, the only thing that you need to do to enable Apple CarPlay is to swap out the USB hub for the one that’s CarPlay compatible. It’s a less than $50.00 dollar part and it can be installed by you in under ten minutes.
My wife would love to have the Apple CarPlay in her 2016 F150 Lariat with the 8" screen. Is that something which could be accomplished with the new USB Hub..? I know she has the CarPlay on her phone.

If so, could you point me in the direct of where I could find the part needed and some explanation on the installation? Thanks!

Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brown Dog ADV
My wife would love to have the Apple CarPlay in her 2016 F150 Lariat with the 8" screen. Is that something which could be accomplished with the new USB Hub..? I know she has the CarPlay on her phone.

If so, could you point me in the direct of where I could find the part needed and some explanation on the installation? Thanks!
Sure.....Just go on Ebay or Amazon and type in Ford part# HC3Z-19A387-B
The prices are all over the place but one of the more popular places with free shipping is Fairway Ford out of Ohio and they also have an Ebay storefront.
To avoid cosmetic damage during installation, which takes less than ten minutes, make sure you have a plastic or nylon pry/trim removal tool. Also, there are several videos on YouTube showing the removal and installation....very simple and easy.
I hope this info helps you out.
Have a great day.

Quick Reply: Blue tooth/google maps