1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Sound proofing interior engine cowl

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 PM
Boondockdad
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound proofing interior engine cowl

Has anybody added more sound deadening to it?
It's pretty darn effective as-is, but I just got thru laying down Kilmat on the floor and doors, and I'm thinking if I could increase the sound proofing of the cowl it would be even more gooder.
7.3PSD is loud.
Definitely can't use this butyl based stuff in there.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM
BigJC
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering more sound deadening as well. I've read mixed reviews on the kilmat, are you finding it effective?
I have an unlimited supply of vycor (window wrap) and am wondering how similar it is to product marketed as sound deadening? I've not handled kilmat but guessing it's pretty damn close to the same stuff.

I have 3/8" stall matt type rubber in the cargo area to just behind the front seats and that made a HUGE difference in road noise. I don't get a lot of engine bay noise (4.6) and would say the loudest noise now is front wheel noise atarting at around 50 mph. Anybody think wrapping the front wheel wells would be worthwhile?

Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Dirt Wagon
5th Wheeling
I've been debating on using Lizard Skin sound deadening spray for my interior. I'm holding off till I'm sure I want to invest that kind of money into it, but from what I've read it's supposed to be like a roll on bed liner but with out the toxic fumes. Seems like it'd be a perfect option for wheel wells also.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,409 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I'vc read in a few forums dealing with E-Series diesel engines who find wrapping the turbo and exhaust tubes that run close to the firewall and just under the dog house works quite well too. Not sure what material is used but it can't be tough to find---any diesel supply outfit or a forum dealing with diesel's should know immediately.

HTH

Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Boondockdad
Senior User
Can't say if this Kilmat is any better/worse than all the other stuff; this is my first project using butyl based stuff.
It made a difference. Not a crazy WOW difference, but just driving around town I noticed it was quieter.

Years ago I sound proofed a guys 1990 Taurus with high quality carpet padding. That was a WOW difference, but the thickness made it waaay more difficult reassembling. Guessing it added a lot of weight, too.

Anyway, this Kilmat is easy to work with. Temps were 55-60. Didn't need a heat gun. Used a wood roller. Cleaned all the surfaces with cleaner/degreaser. Touched up some rust while I was in there. One 36sf box covered the whole floor up front to just behind the driver/pass seats, and one door. I'm debating doing the headliner up front, as well. If this stuff doesn't stay put, that could be a real mess.

Running it further up the firewall would probably make a big diff, but that would take this job to the next level. I'm gonna see how this performs before tackling that.

Not familiar with Vycor so I can't say.

For $120 and about 6hrs, I think it was worth it.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:10 AM
Boondockdad
Senior User
Did 3hrs of highway driving yesterday. WOW. Huge difference.
Can actually have a conversation with passenger without raising my voice.

Definitely going to do the headliner, 'a' and 'b' pillars for the full effect.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 PM
patineto
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
I'vc read in a few forums dealing with E-Series diesel engines who find wrapping the turbo and exhaust tubes that run close to the firewall and just under the dog house works quite well too. Not sure what material is used but it can't be tough to find---any diesel supply outfit or a forum dealing with diesel's should know immediately.

HTH
About a Decade ago, it was really popular to wrap the header pipes on motorcycles until the rides start to figure out the pipes where absolutely rusted and actually will fall apart (The water just stay there and the heat cycles makes them mush

Now if you see a bike with them you can tell is a Squid or is a "show bike" (Trailer queen)

Install Wrap on a Turbo Van