Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A sound my truck makes....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A sound my truck makes....

I've gotten used to the unique sounds my diesel makes over the few years since I got it, and actually I like most of these sounds. However, there's one sound I would like to stop, if I can. It's that airplane/lawn-mower/angry bumble bee sound I get at about 70-75 mph and up on the highway. I think it has something to do with wind blowing through or around something in the cowl area, but I'm not sure what. Following another vehicle effects this sound, and I've noticed if the wind is blowing hard, that makes it change or stop also. If I "draft" behind a big rig, the noise will stop completely. Anyone else dealt with this sound??

Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll bet it's the plastic/hard rubber strip around the outside of your windshield that's buzzing like an angry bumblebee! I first noticed mine doing it towing across NM when I got a crosswind just right.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
My 99 does the same thing in a good headwind when the wind is blowing at a slight angle to the windshield. Not sure what it is but has been there forever.

Marty

Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRanger
My 99 does the same thing in a good headwind when the wind is blowing at a slight angle to the windshield. Not sure what it is but has been there forever.

Marty
In my case, the loose part of my windshield molding was on the vertical strip on the drivers side, and I was able to isolate the noise. I pulled into a rest area and probed the molding with a flat blade and sure enough it was loose where the noise was coming from. I applied a piece of duct tape and the noise disappeared. My permanent fix was to get a tube of crazy glue with a hypodermic needle type applicator and squirt it under the loose spots. No more noise, and that was 6 years ago!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 AM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Thanks for the tip !! I've been just too lazy to climb up there and look around..... yes.... I've been lazy for years

Marty

Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
THANKS, EE!! I'll look into sealing that little sucker up!! Mine sounds like it comes from the center of the truck, right at the bottom of the windshield, and it makes perfect sense that loose molding could be what is making that noise....

Last edited by RedTaurus94; 04-06-2007 at 06:24 PM.