Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging on Highway

Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
To the contrary Rock---you've expressed yourself quite well here---at least I think so. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise or that adding a term changes what you were describing.

And I agree with your observations about exhaust flow through the cast manifolds and headers. If I'm not mistaken headers were developed for racing engines rather than attempting to improve stock exhaust systems.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:56 AM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
I wasn't trying to cause any problems Rock. I like the way you deep dive into how systems work.

I work in the Engineering field of aircraft manufacturing. Airflow is always described using the term pressure differential. Just because a vacuum (negative pressure) is present doesn't always mean there will be airflow.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 AM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
I just hope the OP accidentally put a 1/2 tank of E85 in his tank and that is what caused the pinging. Please keep us apprised of the solution if you find one other than 91 octane fuel.

Don't count out a bad charging system either. Low volts at high load will not power the fuel pump correctly and motor could run lean.

There are just so many things it could be.

Thanks I'm a structural engineer, so that's my excuse for always wanting things in tip top shape. Otherwise bridges and buildings fall down. Guess I'm the same way with my 3 excursions.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by rock2610d View Post
I just hope the OP accidentally put a 1/2 tank of E85 in his tank and that is what caused the pinging. Please keep us apprised of the solution if you find one other than 91 octane fuel.

Don't count out a bad charging system either. Low volts at high load will not power the fuel pump correctly and motor could run lean.

I've read here on FTE the 3V Modular Motors are particular to driving issues when the voltage and/or current falls below ideal.

Like you though I'm hoping its nothing more than a 1/2 tank of the non-optimal fuel. (Hows that for double speak? )

Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 AM
macaroon
New User
macaroon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar problem with my first v-10. It was the fan belt. I accidentally put some soapy water on the serpentine belt and the pinging sound stopped.

Cheap and simple give it a try!
Mac

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
I had a similar problem with my first v-10. It was the fan belt. I accidentally put some soapy water on the serpentine belt and the pinging sound stopped.

Cheap and simple give it a try!
Mac
I've never heard of such a fix----how does that repair a pinging as described by MGraveman?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:05 AM
macaroon
New User
macaroon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know, I found the cure by accident. I was washing my MH and water got on the belt and the ping stopped.
Mac

Old 04-22-2019, 01:33 PM
mgraveman
Elder User
mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, so far the manifold gasket is replaced and there was a broken plug. Hopefully this takes care of it. Probably wonít know until I run the premium gas theough it.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 AM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mgraveman View Post
Well, so far the manifold gasket is replaced and there was a broken plug. Hopefully this takes care of it. Probably wonít know until I run the premium gas theough it.
tell us about the broken plug. Post pics

Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.

Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
tell us about the broken plug. Post pics

Old 04-23-2019, 04:47 AM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Dude thatís tremendously bad.
Even still I wouldnít mind if you got a better pic.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
I know the pic sucks. I didnít have time to mess with it. Took it to the mechanic and had him do those while he was doing manifolds, which I was not doing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.