Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

never heard of BITOG. So, nope!

biz

Old 03-27-2019, 05:06 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah I have. There are some knowledgeable guys there, and some who live in an echo chamber of what ever seems to be fashionable for lubrication at the moment. You ever get bored just go in and ask which is better X or Y and the armchair experts come out of the woodwork.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:33 PM
govols60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieF150
Yeah I have. There are some knowledgeable guys there, and some who live in an echo chamber of what ever seems to be fashionable for lubrication at the moment. You ever get bored just go in and ask which is better X or Y and the armchair experts come out of the woodwork.
I noticed, some radicle jokers on that site.
Lots of seem to own a Prius as well 🙄

Old 03-27-2019, 10:24 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by govols60
I noticed, some radicle jokers on that site.
Lots of seem to own a Prius as well ��
I pretty much stick with what I know to be tried and true, based on what I learned from my Granpa, and Dad, and my own experience over the past 35 yrs of working on my own vehicles. I'll leave the debating to the guys who mechanical skills that at best are changing oil filters.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 PM
govols60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieF150
I pretty much stick with what I know to be tried and true, based on what I learned from my Granpa, and Dad, and my own experience over the past 35 yrs of working on my own vehicles. I'll leave the debating to the guys who mechanical skills that at best are changing oil filters.
I totally agree with you. Some people chase what’s hot and new without any knowledge of what works or doesn’t.
Im old enough to know what’s tried and true !!!👍👍

Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm also one who relies on the tried and true HOWEVER that doesn't automatically and forever close me off to something new and truly improved.

Oil formulation-wise I think there is a ton of hype that does appeal to the gee whiz crowd, those who love spouting buzz words and catch phrases hoping to appear more knowledgeable then they really are. If they want to spend extra money for useless bragging rights let 'em have at it---costs me absolutely nothing.

Any good brand meeting the minimum spec's should be more than effective and long lasting, keeping our engines operating wonderfully. Of course all this really depends what oil change intervals we use right? One thing I DO NOT find easy to believe is gasoline engine motor oil can be effective up to the 5-7K miles some claim is acceptable these days. Today's supposed engine technology has all but eliminated fuel blow by which might be marginally true but I doubt it's really really that much "improved". Just IMHO ya understand.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:56 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Oil formulation-wise I think there is a ton of hype that does appeal to the gee whiz crowd, those who love spouting buzz words and catch phrases hoping to appear more knowledgeable then they really are. If they want to spend extra money for useless bragging rights let 'em have at it---costs me absolutely nothing.
Exactly. All the hard work has been done for you. Look for the Starburst symbol and/or SN-Plus on the bottle. That is all that you need to know.

Originally Posted by JWA
Any good brand meeting the minimum spec's should be more than effective and long lasting, keeping our engines operating wonderfully. Of course all this really depends what oil change intervals we use right? One thing I DO NOT find easy to believe is gasoline engine motor oil can be effective up to the 5-7K miles some claim is acceptable these days. Today's supposed engine technology has all but eliminated fuel blow by which might be marginally true but I doubt it's really really that much "improved". Just IMHO ya understand.
It is not just the engines that have gotten better, the oil is better too.

The OEMs have done extensive and exhaustive testing over the last several decades to develop the oil life monitor systems. I am at a loss for words as to why people struggle to trust them.

For some reason, people believe that the 3000 mile OCI was written on one of the tablets Moses brought down from the mountain. As I have pointed out numerous time, Ford was recommending 5000 miles OCIs as early as the early 1960s.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:18 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by JWA
I'm also one who relies on the tried and true HOWEVER that doesn't automatically and forever close me off to something new and truly improved.

Very interesting contradiction going on in your statement.

YES, gasoline engine oils can go 7000 to 10,000 miles no problem these days. Hence, the FULL synthetic crowd wanting to know the better engine oils out in the market. Heck, even the "minimum" standard recommended engine oil is approved for such durations. Changing at 3k is a total waste of time and money in comparison to buying a more expensive oil (for piece of mind) and running until 10k. IMHO...either you trust them...or you don't. But doing it 3k should be extinct like the dinosaurs.

biz

Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 PM
onug
Postmaster
I’ve spent a few years on BITOG, but am currently taking a break. Just lost interest for the most part. But like most corners of the internet, the more specialize the topic the more opinionated folks seem to get. It doesn’t help that BITOG’s search engine sucks, so you can’t just tell new people to “use the search function”.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by biz4two
Changing at 3k is a total waste of time and money in comparison to buying a more expensive oil (for piece of mind) and running until 10k. IMHO...either you trust them...or you don't. But doing it 3k should be extinct like the dinosaurs.

biz
Speaking of contradictions huh? So I "should" use more costly oil but go longer and that somehow is the better way? I guess the "IMHO" part is very operative here.

So like the extinct dinosaurs I'll change oil and filter somewhere between 3-4K miles for my own peace of mind. I trust doing so is NOT detrimental to the engine and while some think its wasting time and money having just swapped an engine I find changing oil far more less expensive and time consuming than full engine swap.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:00 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 232 Likes on 206 Posts
API SN came in 2010, or thereabouts. With that, a lot of manufacturers also specified longer oil change intervals. Now we have SN Plus.

Sure, modern engine and modern oil is made for longer oil change intervals. I will believe it. New cars have oil life monitor. I will learn to trust it.

What if you have a car made prior to SN oil? Any opinions to using new tech oil in old tech engine?

Any doubt that modern oil formulation is better and can last longer? Or do we fall back on a lifetime of experience, and change oil every 3000 miles like it's still the same oil that came in cans?

Old 08-16-2019, 05:59 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Sure, modern engine and modern oil is made for longer oil change intervals. I will believe it. New cars have oil life monitor. I will learn to trust it.

What if you have a car made prior to SN oil? Any opinions to using new tech oil in old tech engine?

Any doubt that modern oil formulation is better and can last longer? Or do we fall back on a lifetime of experience, and change oil every 3000 miles like it's still the same oil that came in cans?
I will point out, as I have many times before, that Ford was recommending 6000 miles oil change intervals as early as the early 1960s.

The 3000 mile OCI is a decades old fiction kept alive by quikie lube stores.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 232 Likes on 206 Posts
Original Equipment Manufacturer recommended oil change intervals are very conservative. My 11th generation F-150 specified the oil change interval 5,000 miles. Back then, retail motor oil was sold at a lower category & classification. I still follow the owners manual. Old habits are hard to break. No doubt that the new oil is capable of running in the engine longer. With my new car, I follow the oil life monitor, and run the oil from 7,000 to 10,000 miles. Which again, is the old habit of following the owners manual. I suppose the option is to send in oil samples for analysis, and try to dial in a new oil change interval. But I'm just not spending more on an oil analysis than an oil change. It's just not worth it to me.