Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radius Arm Bushing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Radius Arm Bushing Question

After removing the nut and other parts from this side, I have this bushing still where my finger is pointing. It doesn't want to come off and I am wondering if it should come off or is it part of the bushing on the other side? If it is part of the other side, do I need to cut it off to remove the arm from its slot or just proceed with it there. This is my 91 Listed below. Thanks Sandy

Old 03-23-2019, 04:08 PM
andy011
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The bracket needs to be removed from the radius arm. There is bushing between the bracket and arm. If it has bolts, unbolt it and remove it. If it has rivots, then grind/drill/torch them out and replace with Grade 8 bolts. Make sure you have a floor jack under the front axle, in line with the spring as things tend to move around a bit due to spring pressure. It is also helpful to raise/lower the jack to help align the bolt holes when reassembling.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Thanks Andy. I am familiar with that procedure but would rather proceed leaving the riveted bracket as is. If it comes to that, I will do it. Sandy

Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
Your bushing still looks good. Bushing comes in from the front of the bracket. Shoot a picture of the front so I can see if you have the little ring on the arm that needs to be removed when changing bushings.

On some there is a small ring where I have the arrow pointing. Clean the area well and look closely. It's very hard to see. It needs to come off if there. I used a hammer and sharp chisel to take mine off.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:26 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Here you go.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Yours doesn't have the rings. The front of your bushings sure look a lot worse than the rear. Mine had half rivets and half bolts. It wasn't hard to grind off the rivet head and punch them out.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by yardbird
Yours doesn't have the rings. The front of your bushings sure look a lot worse than the rear. Mine had half rivets and half bolts. It wasn't hard to grind off the rivet head and punch them out.
Yep on the fronts. Why I'm doing it. Before I get into removing rivets do you think the back bushing is part of the front one and if so can I just cut it off and proceed? Sandy

Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
The rubber part sticking out the rear is made to the front section. Unless you drop the axle, you will have to remove the radius arm brackets.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:33 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
The rubber part sticking out the rear is made to the front section. Unless you drop the axle, you will have to remove the radius arm brackets.
I was planning of dropping the axle and have the pivot nut removed already. I really don't mind removing the rivets but I don't plan on ever doing this to the truck again. If I have an issue I will get out the grinder. Thanks again yardbird and Andy. Sandy

Old 03-23-2019, 05:36 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I prefer to do it that way myself. Then you can easily replace the pivot bushing while the axle is dropped.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I prefer to do it that way myself. Then you can easily replace the pivot bushing while the axle is dropped.
Good idea. Will do GoinBoarding. Sandy

Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Unless you drop the axle, you will have to remove the radius arm brackets.
Not exactly true. You do not need to completely remove the axle unless you want to replace the pivot bushing.

The simplified version is:

With the truck supported at the frame or radius arm bracket; remove the spring and shock(s). Remove the radius arm nut. Loosen the lower radius arm bolt and upper radius arm stud but don’t completely remove them since it isn’t necessary. This should allow you to pull the axle forward enough to disengage the radius arm from the bracket. Replace the bushing and then reassemble.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks

Not exactly true. You do not need to completely remove the axle unless you want to replace the pivot bushing.

The simplified version is:

With the truck supported at the frame or radius arm bracket; remove the spring and shock(s). Remove the radius arm nut. Loosen the lower radius arm bolt and upper radius arm stud but don’t completely remove them since it isn’t necessary. This should allow you to pull the axle forward enough to disengage the radius arm from the bracket. Replace the bushing and then reassemble.
That was basically my original plan. I was concerned the back bushing would prevent me from having enough room to remove the arm. Thanks Sandy

Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts

That was how I was taught at the dealership. That way the front of the radius arm is loose to pivot on the TTB/ I beam allowing you to remove it from the bracket. No rivet grinding is needed. You need to remove the arm from the bracket to remove the bushing in the upper right corner and the metal cup which appears to be missing on your truck.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks

That was how I was taught at the dealership. That way the front of the radius arm is loose to pivot on the TTB/ I beam allowing you to remove it from the bracket. No rivet grinding is needed. You need to remove the arm from the bracket to remove the bushing in the upper right corner and the metal cup which appears to be missing on your truck.
These are the parts installed left to right on arm in the back of the bracket. Is that the metal cup you are talking about?

Quick Reply: Radius Arm Bushing Question