1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Def Vs. Motorcraft DEF and Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM
frogger_42
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Def Vs. Motorcraft DEF and Warranty Issue

Greetings All, I am new here, and also a relatively new diesel owner (I've owned Ford trucks for years, I just always had gas engines).

Last year, I decided to upgrade an purchased a 2016 F-250 Platinum with 20k miles on it.
Let me cut to the quick on this. Since purchase in July, I topped off with Blue Def from the local auto store. Earlier this month, I noticed the DEF would not fill properly. (fill line would fill, but then drain slowly into the tank).

I took it into the dealer and the tech said that it would need a new DEF tank because the flapper valve was stuck. They would cover this under the warranty (i have existing factory left, as well as a purchased extended warranty). I took the truck home, brought it back the next day waited a few hours, and the tech came out and told me after dropping the tank that everything was perfect. There was no contamination and or crystallization within the tank. He stated that he put the old tank back and was able to fill properly with motorcraft DEF using the filler nozzle. I purchased the filler nozzle and don't see a problem using the motorcraft def going forward (as the tech advised).

Flash forward to the next day when my truck throws a check engine light. I used the OBD2 scanner to figure out there is low pressure in the def system (P20E8) was the code. I took the truck back into the dealer on Monday, and the DEF pump had failed. The tech and the service guy both stated that this would not be covered under the warranty as I used after market DEF instead of motorcraft. I push them on this and there was no existing indication of damage or contamination or crystallization in the tank, it was a simple warranty decline based only on the assumption that aftermarket DEF had caused the pump to fail. I pressed him a bit more, and asked if this would void the remainder of the warranty on the emissions system (which if I'm not mistaken is 5 years, 50k for emissions only), and they both stated that no the warranty would still be valid going forward as they had removed the blue DEF from the system and the truck is now running motorcraft DEF. Long and short if this is, I could sit in the service area and argue till I'm blue in the face, but it cost me just over a grand. I did get them to state the reason for warranty declination on the invoice.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of issue? I would understand if I was using of spec def, but the fact is both blue def and mortorcraft meet the same ISO standards for diesel trucks. I would also understand if I had used contaminated def, or the def had left evidence of damage.

In any event, I'm going to call the service manager, if that doesn't work, I'll reach out to the regional ford rep, and if that doesn't work, I'll reach out to Ford Motor Company.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like a violation of the Magnuson Moss Act.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn...s_Warranty_Act

Old 03-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
That is bogus for them to fault the problem on aftermarket DEF. The tech and the service manage are idiots to put it mildly. There is nothing......absolute nothing in the owner's manual about what brand/manufacturer/bottler of DEF you MUST use. See page 24 (snippet below about DEF requirements). I would go plop the 2016 Super Duty Diesel Supplement Manual on their desk and tell them to show you where it says you MUST use Motorcraft DEF.

I highly suspect Blue DEF is certified to meet the Ford specs.

They need to make repairs or better yet, take the truck to a reputable dealer to have it fixed.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM
frogger_42
New User
Thanks dirthawg. I'm calling the dealer now.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM
frogger_42
New User
Thanks Just Strokin. I spotted that as well. Calling the dealer now and will post an update when I get results.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Subscribing, curious to see the outcome.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
From the Blue DEF website. They state it meets the API certification and the ISO standards.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:58 PM
frogger_42
New User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
From the Blue DEF website. They state it meets the API certification and the ISO standards.

Yep Strokin. It's the same ISO standard that Motorcraft meets. I'm waiting for a call back from the service manager. Took the time to leave some google, yelp and facebook reviews on the issues as well. I've had good luck in the past using social media to get companies to respond in a timely manner. Hindsight is 20/20, but I was busy, needed to get back to work and should have just raised hell when I was in the service office on Monday. I'll update when the service manager calls me back.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
maybe complain to your local Better Business Bureau?...or Chamber of Commerce?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 PM
frogger_42
New User
Final Update

Hey all,

I communicated with the service manager. They are refunding my money, and filing the warranty claim. He apologized for the tech and the service writer.

So, all is well that ends well I guess.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 PM
GN1220
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm very happy for the proper outcome. But what really bothers me is the fact that they tried to SCAM you and, had you not had the knowledge or desire for the truth, they simply would've taken your money. It troubles me to think how many people fall for SCAMS like this in stealerships across the country from uneducated people who blindly believe what the stealership tells them.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Stevereeves
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
DELETE. I have 2011 2wd, and get 25mpg empty, 15 pulling 8500lbs, and a happy diesel! No more DEF, Regen, clogged EGR, or codes!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to DELETE but still under warranty....

Old 03-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Doesn't look like anyone mentioned anything about your original problem. Did you try using the Ford DEF filler nozzle - PM-27-N? I think it will screw onto a Blue DEF jug.

Another BS dealer, annoys the hell out of me when I see BS dealers like this. Is there another Ford Dealership in your area? I would never trust these people again. WTF is the next BS story they are going to come up with to try and squeeze a few dollars out of you?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
Anytime there is a warranty claim issue, their first defense is to try and blame it on the customer. Next, they'll see if there are other ways to get out of it.

We all know this story too well and have heard it too often. Protect yourself.. Take pics of everything, keep a log, keep receipts, get a dash cam (front and rear) to record video and audio. You might need it.

Dash CAM recommendation: https://www.us.thinkware.com/product

You need proof...

Quick Reply: Blue Def Vs. Motorcraft DEF and Warranty Issue