Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo question

Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
alaskapilot95 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo question

hey guys got my truck running and got about 1,000 miles on my new tranny and is working great. Noticed my turbo is starting to sound like itís either surging or fluttering around 10-15psi but not really noticeable at other psiís. Just looked at the wheel the other day and didnít notice anything out of the ordinary and seemed pretty good condition still. Hereís a video of going up a hil. I have my camper and trailer on. Any ideas or is it just normal? Stock van turbo with a deleted pedestal and adapter to go to my exhaust.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't know much about the van turbo but your video didn't post.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Yea sorry working on getting it posted

Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Boondockdad
Senior User
Boondockdad is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found having a gmail account is easiest way to post pic/vid. You can upload the video to your gmail photos, then copy and paste the link. Some forums it doesn't work, but it does here.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 AM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Ok finally got it uploaded to my google drive. Turns out cricket doesnít have the best upload speeds

Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
That link went right to ur gmail account and as it shows, you get alot of ****...lol

from what i could hear bc the needle didnt show anything, a ww1 or ww2would cure that..didnt no though, that a van turbo can surge

Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 AM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
That link went right to ur gmail account and as it shows, you get alot of ****...lol

from what i could hear bc the needle didnt show anything, a ww1 or ww2would cure that..didnt no though, that a van turbo can surge
well thatís stupid Iím quite against that stuff. Are you able to even see the video then? Oh yeah I gues you did see it. Yeah Iíve never heard of them surging either but I did notice as I was going through more hills that if itís in 3rd it doesnít do it. But if 4th gets bogged down it will start surging pretty good

Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I thought that turbo surge happened when the AT upshifted and was caused by the drop in RPM's and the engine no longer taking in the amount of air it did before the shift and the turbo was still pushing higher volumes of air. I did hear something when your RPM's dropped but it wasn't real loud. Just lugging the engine in 4th should not cause turbo surge.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 AM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Hereís a better example.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Those links require some sort of action or download and homie don't play that.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 PM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Those links require some sort of action or download and homie don't play that.
Sorry guys donít know how my links are getting virus or something. Just sharing the link off my google drive. Any ideas on how else to share videos?

Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
I post them on YouTube then I can post them here. I don't know if you need your own channel or not, I have one.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Ok deleted the spam letís try this.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Squirrel13
Senior User
Squirrel13 has a good reputation on FTE.Squirrel13 has a good reputation on FTE.Squirrel13 has a good reputation on FTE.
is that EGT temp really 1185?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:25 PM
alaskapilot95
Senior User
Originally Posted by Squirrel13 View Post
is that EGT temp really 1185?
probably. I get in the 1100f often and have hit 1250 a couple times

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.