Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Tinstar1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through getting turbo surge with a 6637 air filter/4" exhaust/PHP Hydra tunes. I cured it completely with the Full Force Diesel billet wheel thanks to recommendations from this forum. I don't know if this particular wheel fits the van turbo.

I wasn't able to hear what your turbo was doing. Here is a great example of turbo surge I found from youtube. Mine sounded just like this.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
That didn't sound like turbo surge to me, that sounded like the fan rubbing on the housing. Turbo surge lasts a couple of seconds max when the trans upshifts.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tinstar1
I just went through getting turbo surge with a 6637 air filter/4" exhaust/PHP Hydra tunes. I cured it completely with the Full Force Diesel billet wheel thanks to recommendations from this forum. I don't know if this particular wheel fits the van turbo.

I wasn't able to hear what your turbo was doing. Here is a great example of turbo surge I found from youtube. Mine sounded just like this.

Turbo Surge
i guess mine is kind of similar to yours. Mine doesn’t make that loud of a noise mine is quite quiet about it. It sounds like possibly replacing it with one of those wheels might fix it but I’ll have to look into it because I remember reading somewhere van turbos are picky on which part you upgrade. Wheel vs housing. I am still waiting on my hydra in the mail also (lost somewhere between here and Alaska....). I will probably wait till after then to do anything because I’m almost wondering if it’s just the tuning. I have a TS6 Chip right now and I’m not that impressed. Especially the trans shifting. (Different topic).

Old 03-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
That didn't sound like turbo surge to me, that sounded like the fan rubbing on the housing. Turbo surge lasts a couple of seconds max when the trans upshifts.
That's what my turbo surge sounded like. WW2 fixed it.

It would still bark during a gear change if you had a bunch of boost built up.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
So listening to my videos now today I can tell my video didn’t really show it very well. It’s very noticeable in the cab but hard to get on camera. It’s almost like a surge but only happens under a load in 4th gear. Tried to get it to do it in other gears but it refused. About 11psi it will almost start like a buffering sound and will start slow and get worse as more throttle as applied and the boost goes up some more to about 15psi. Then it really buffers but still fairly quiet compared to other surge videos. Doing reasearch on this forum it looks like someone tested ww vs stock and ats housing vs stock. Turns out the ats and stock wheel turned out with better spoiling and more boost and no surge. I’ll wait to see what my new tuning does but sounds like a ats housing might be the best to solve it.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tinstar1

Turbo Surge
I think mine sounds similar to yours at about the 1:07 mark. But it’s a lot quieter and even my wife noticed it making the noise

Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 812 Likes on 462 Posts
I run an ATS housing on a Van turbo and like it. Cheaper to just swap in a billet compressor wheel though.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by brokestroke
I run an ATS housing on a Van turbo and like it. Cheaper to just swap in a billet compressor wheel though.
Yeah the compressor wheel is much cheaper. I’ve read the billet wheel is a lot louder though. Mines pretty loud already can’t imagine it getting much louder though.....I have a Donaldson 6637

Old 03-21-2019, 12:57 PM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 812 Likes on 462 Posts
The ATS housing adds more noise than a billet compressor wheel will. If you want a quiet wheel look into a billet 9+0 or 11+0 blade design. The stock wheel with an ATS housing is much louder than stock. It sounds good though. I run an ATS housing and a 9+0 billet wheel with a 6637 filter with no noise complaints.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by brokestroke
The ATS housing adds more noise than a billet compressor wheel will. If you want a quiet wheel look into a billet 9+0 or 11+0 blade design. The stock wheel with an ATS housing is much louder than stock. It sounds good though. I run an ATS housing and a 9+0 billet wheel with a 6637 filter with no noise complaints.
Good to know. I don’t really need louder. I’d like the truck to be quieter if anything. I’ll look into the wheel if the tunes don’t do anything to fix it. Hydra should be here tomorrow hopefully as long as the USPS can get it here this time.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Get rid of the 6637 Filter and you will get rid of most of the noise. Seems you travel a lot. Take would not be my pick for a filter.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Tinstar1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alaskapilot95

Good to know. I don’t really need louder. I’d like the truck to be quieter if anything. I’ll look into the wheel if the tunes don’t do anything to fix it. Hydra should be here tomorrow hopefully as long as the USPS can get it here this time.
I think you will have more surge with the Hydra. No fault of the tuner or tunes, we are just asking our turbos to work harder and surge is the result when we go outside the turbo design parameters. At least it is a relatively easy fix with housings and/or wheels.

During my build process I noticed pronounced surge while towing (22,500 GCW) in 6th. At the time I had the Hydra/6637/4" exhaust. I could put the Hydra on the stock tune and 80% of the surge went away.

The FFD billet wheel eliminated surge and now I can tow that same load with zero surge plus I can use any gear/throttle position. That lets me use the power above where surge was occurring. I do have to watch the boost gauge a little, I don't want to tow and boost over 30psi. I have to really push the rpms and load to worry about it. EGT's are just over 1100 pushing it on the Hydra 65 hp tow tune.

Once you get everything sorted you are going to like the power!

Old 03-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
I run a 6637 with a 4+4, quiet enough while towing until it gets hilly and the boost is in upper teens. It's quiet enough for us to have a conversation

Old 03-21-2019, 07:16 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
With either my 6637 or k/n-fipk mounted, and Whitey Morgan rock'n,..i dont hear my ww1

Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
My turbo is loud now but it’s not terrible. I just would prefer it not get any louder. If anything if I could get the engine drone down a lot quieter then that would make a huge difference. Sounds like the wheel is the best way to go. I was wondering if the hydra would make it worse sense it’s better tuning. I realize that the tuning can cause it but also not really their fault since our trucks were made to run on 235hp not whatever we are running now. Is it ok if it surges some while driving? It’s hard to have a part shipped for me when we are on the road a lot and trying to login up the next place.

Quick Reply: Turbo question