New Fifth Wheel......My Turn!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:59 PM
lariatbob
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
New Fifth Wheel......My Turn!

Just moved up to a fifth wheel from a bumper pull.
This thing tows awesome! Felt so stable and secure. No porpoising.
Truck handled it all with ease. So Happy!

From this...

To This....

Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 PM
kmc06
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrads, looks great! You have a nice setup.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
When somebody calls the move from a TT to a 5er an "upgrade" I'm normally skeptical. However, I have to agree that moving from the Springdale to that Alpine definitely qualifies! I tow plenty of TT's and 5er's and quite frankly prefer pulling the TT's for various reasons, hopefully you'll find the rewards of the fifth wheel worth the extra effort.

Congratulations on a really nice rig!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,182 Likes on 681 Posts
Very nice looking rig....Congrats on the upgrade!!

Old 03-19-2019, 02:12 PM
lariatbob
Senior User
Thank you all.
I think I need to adjust the pin box. I only have 3" of rail clearance. The hitch is as high as it will go. I have 1 lower adjustment on the pin box with should give me another inch. Hoping 4 will be enough. Sets nice and level as it is, don't want to go much higher.....

Old 03-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,182 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by lariatbob
Thank you all.
I think I need to adjust the pin box. I only have 3" of rail clearance. The hitch is as high as it will go. I have 1 lower adjustment on the pin box with should give me another inch. Hoping 4 will be enough. Sets nice and level as it is, don't want to go much higher.....
About 5 to 6 inches of clearance is what I have. It helped one day when I had to detour in a utility pole right of way to make a U-turn. Came back up an incline and I was almost touching the side of the truck. My hitch is at the highest setting but never fooled with the Roto Flex pinbox.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:21 AM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
When somebody calls the move from a TT to a 5er an "upgrade" I'm normally skeptical. However, I have to agree that moving from the Springdale to that Alpine definitely qualifies! I tow plenty of TT's and 5er's and quite frankly prefer pulling the TT's for various reasons, hopefully you'll find the rewards of the fifth wheel worth the extra effort.

Congratulations on a really nice rig!
Hey wrvond, I would like to hear the reasons why you prefer to tow a TT over a 5er if you don't mind. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa
Hey wrvond, I would like to hear the reasons why you prefer to tow a TT over a 5er if you don't mind. Thanks.
I want to be clear that I don’t think 5ers are a bad thing. They do provide a lot of storage and such, but when it comes to pulling I do prefer a TT.
1. Hooking up is easier. Once the pin is in the saddle, it is harder to connect the umbilical and break away cable on the fifth. Everything is easier to reach on the TT. There are fewer steps to hook up a 5er, but a power tongue jack is almost a standard these days which makes setting the bars pretty easy.
2. Turning is easier with a TT. With a long 5er turning right at an intersection requires pulling into the intersection before starting the turn. It’s the same problem semi’s face. Traffic can be a real pain. The TT tracks more closely behind the truck and kick out is reduced.
3. Wind- the fiver is generally taller than the TT. They are the same width though, which means a fifth wheel is going to be more top heavy than a travel trailer. Also, the WDH on a TT does provide some additional down force to the TT axle(s). I feel the TT is a bit less likely to blow over than the 5er, but if it does, it’s likely to cause less damage to the TV. I had a TT blow over, it popped off the ball. I had to cut one of the safety chains to get free, but when I did I was able to drive to shelter. Another driver pulling a 5er wasn’t so lucky. It blew over, destroyed his truck and put him in the hospital.
4. I’ve seen a 5er hit an overpass, never saw a TT tall enough to hit any overpass.
A TT is more susceptible to sway than a 5er, but it can still happen and there’s nothing you can do about it but slow down. Last week I pulled a 5er 900 miles that jerked the back of my truck side to side any time I hit 65 mph. Brand new camper, completely empty. It might tow fine loaded to camp. I sure hope so!
5ers and TTS back completely differently. I tow campers ranging from 17 feet to 44 feet. I can’t back a 5er worth a hill of beans, but I can put any size TT anywhere you want it. TT’s are much easier to back up.
Finally, pulling a TT leaves the truck bed free for carrying stuff.

Those are are pretty much the reasons why I prefer a TT to a 5er. There are exceptions to everything, though. With the bedroom hanging over the bed of the truck a 5er rig is going to be shorter overall than an equivalent TT floor plan. Lots of different priorities drive the choices people make.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:04 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Nice rig!! It just amazes me how common these big rigs have become. We were camped last week at the beach, Ocean Lakes, which was not full yet, but certainly busy and there very few fivers as small as our just over 30-ft single slide.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Nice looking 5th wheel. Be sure to practice a bit backing up. It will be different than a TT.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:56 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Beautiful 5er and beautiful truck!!!

What model is it??

Also, I gained several inches of rail clearance by putting a Trail-Air pin box on the unit as the airbag helps with the expansion joints on the interstates quite a bit.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:01 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,583 Likes on 839 Posts
Now that's a proper looking trailer for that dually! Very nice. Congratulations.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:41 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats and safe travels.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM
lariatbob
Senior User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Beautiful 5er and beautiful truck!!!

What model is it??

Also, I gained several inches of rail clearance by putting a Trail-Air pin box on the unit as the airbag helps with the expansion joints on the interstates quite a bit.
I think I have the rail height correct now.

It's a 3710KP. We love the floorplan. (I guess we had better love it! )
Walked through many over several months and kept coming back to this model.
Ordered a new one, didn't want one that people had been pulling, pushing and prodding. Took about 3 months after the order.
C'mon Spring!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:14 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice upgrade! Looks great.!

Quick Reply: New Fifth Wheel......My Turn!