Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child seat retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 PM
enrgizerbunny
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Child seat retrofit?

Hey guys over got a 91 F150 XLT Lariat standard cab that I love. The issue is putting a child seat in it. I don't have the child seat clip, which my wife isn't too keen on using anyway. Are there any retrofit kits that would give me the lower anchors for a rear facing child seat similar to what modern cars have?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 PM
miguel.in.az
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you swap in seats out of a newer regular cab truck I think you're SOL here (and I'm not even sure if new trucks have the LATCH anchors in the front seat), those anchors are welded to the seat frames and the seats are engineered around them having the anchors in them to keep your kid safe in an accident. Too much liability for a company to make retrofit and someone's child gets injured or killed in a wreck from a shoddy install. Not to mention all the no-nos and negative warnings about children riding in the front seat of a vehicle (granted the front seat is the only seat in your regular cab, I would assume this isn't your only vehicle for child transport)

When properly installed with the lap or 3 point belt a child seat is just as secure as it is with the anchors. The anchors are just easier to use, your local police or fire department will gladly inspect or even install your child seat for you if you're unsure about installing it with just the seat belt.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:28 AM
enrgizerbunny
Freshman User
Originally Posted by miguel.in.az
Unless you swap in seats out of a newer regular cab truck I think you're SOL here (and I'm not even sure if new trucks have the LATCH anchors in the front seat), those anchors are welded to the seat frames and the seats are engineered around them having the anchors in them to keep your kid safe in an accident. Too much liability for a company to make retrofit and someone's child gets injured or killed in a wreck from a shoddy install. Not to mention all the no-nos and negative warnings about children riding in the front seat of a vehicle (granted the front seat is the only seat in your regular cab, I would assume this isn't your only vehicle for child transport)

When properly installed with the lap or 3 point belt a child seat is just as secure as it is with the anchors. The anchors are just easier to use, your local police or fire department will gladly inspect or even install your child seat for you if you're unsure about installing it with just the seat belt.
Not long after posting this, I went to triple check that my seat belt doesn't have a ratchet when pulled all the way out (like newer vehicles) and it doesn't. I discovered that there used to be locking clips that were required to install a car seat, so I ordered one from eBay for $6 and I'll be putting the car seat in this weekend. I left the thread in hopes there may be a way because it is simple and my wife thinks the H-clip isn't safe. I say the seat belt was designed for 200lbs while LATCH is limited to 60.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 PM
collkid
Senior User
Depending on your state, it could be illegal.

In Colorado, you cannot have kids in the front of a truck. No matter what.

Ask me how I know...... Ugh.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 PM
enrgizerbunny
Freshman User
Originally Posted by collkid
Depending on your state, it could be illegal.

In Colorado, you cannot have kids in the front of a truck. No matter what.

Ask me how I know...... Ugh.
I live in Virginia, and I know of no law. He loves the truck because he can see me the whole time.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny

I live in Virginia, and I know of no law. He loves the truck because he can see me the whole time.
You're good, just use the seat belt... Virginia has no restriction on car seats in the front of regular cab trucks like Colorado. I didn't believe that Colorado actually did that, looked it up, it's true... children under 20lbs and 1 year MUST be in the back seat... even if there isn't one.