Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Child seat retrofit? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1576022-child-seat-retrofit.html)

enrgizerbunny 03-15-2019 01:24 PM

Child seat retrofit?

Hey guys over got a 91 F150 XLT Lariat standard cab that I love. The issue is putting a child seat in it. I don't have the child seat clip, which my wife isn't too keen on using anyway. Are there any retrofit kits that would give me the lower anchors for a rear facing child seat similar to what modern cars have?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e1d264205.jpeg

miguel.in.az 03-20-2019 10:25 PM

Unless you swap in seats out of a newer regular cab truck I think you're SOL here (and I'm not even sure if new trucks have the LATCH anchors in the front seat), those anchors are welded to the seat frames and the seats are engineered around them having the anchors in them to keep your kid safe in an accident. Too much liability for a company to make retrofit and someone's child gets injured or killed in a wreck from a shoddy install. Not to mention all the no-nos and negative warnings about children riding in the front seat of a vehicle (granted the front seat is the only seat in your regular cab, I would assume this isn't your only vehicle for child transport)

When properly installed with the lap or 3 point belt a child seat is just as secure as it is with the anchors. The anchors are just easier to use, your local police or fire department will gladly inspect or even install your child seat for you if you're unsure about installing it with just the seat belt.

enrgizerbunny 03-21-2019 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by miguel.in.az (Post 18552161)
Unless you swap in seats out of a newer regular cab truck I think you're SOL here (and I'm not even sure if new trucks have the LATCH anchors in the front seat), those anchors are welded to the seat frames and the seats are engineered around them having the anchors in them to keep your kid safe in an accident. Too much liability for a company to make retrofit and someone's child gets injured or killed in a wreck from a shoddy install. Not to mention all the no-nos and negative warnings about children riding in the front seat of a vehicle (granted the front seat is the only seat in your regular cab, I would assume this isn't your only vehicle for child transport)

When properly installed with the lap or 3 point belt a child seat is just as secure as it is with the anchors. The anchors are just easier to use, your local police or fire department will gladly inspect or even install your child seat for you if you're unsure about installing it with just the seat belt.

Not long after posting this, I went to triple check that my seat belt doesn't have a ratchet when pulled all the way out (like newer vehicles) and it doesn't. I discovered that there used to be locking clips that were required to install a car seat, so I ordered one from eBay for $6 and I'll be putting the car seat in this weekend. I left the thread in hopes there may be a way because it is simple and my wife thinks the H-clip isn't safe. I say the seat belt was designed for 200lbs while LATCH is limited to 60.

collkid 03-21-2019 06:32 PM

Depending on your state, it could be illegal.

In Colorado, you cannot have kids in the front of a truck. No matter what.

Ask me how I know...... Ugh.

enrgizerbunny 03-22-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by collkid (Post 18553639)
Depending on your state, it could be illegal.

In Colorado, you cannot have kids in the front of a truck. No matter what.

Ask me how I know...... Ugh.

I live in Virginia, and I know of no law. He loves the truck because he can see me the whole time.

LSCRX 03-22-2019 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny (Post 18555473)

I live in Virginia, and I know of no law. He loves the truck because he can see me the whole time.

You're good, just use the seat belt... Virginia has no restriction on car seats in the front of regular cab trucks like Colorado. I didn't believe that Colorado actually did that, looked it up, it's true... children under 20lbs and 1 year MUST be in the back seat... even if there isn't one.