Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAR MAIN SEAL

Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM
WI Camper
Freshman User
WI Camper is starting off with a positive reputation.
REAR MAIN SEAL

Anybody have issues with the rear main seal leaking?? I have an 05' V10 and the rear main just started leaking at 144K.. My thoughts to fixing it was to have the transmission pulled and replace the seal.. My only question is, what is the cause of this and will it reoccur? I've heard if the crankshaft has play it can break the seal loose or is from the use of bad oil in the past.. I ran synthetic for the last 6 years that I had owned it and changed oil as scheduled. My friend owns a transmission shop and said he will do it and while the trans is out he would go thru it an d put in a shift kit for towing.. Thinking this might be the best option.. Thoughts?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Restlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to beholdRestlesswildman is a splendid one to behold
Rear main seals leak for various reasons. The most common one at that mileage in my experience is the seal has dried and shrunk or there is a carbon film on the seal surface. On rare occasions you can have a groove warn into the seal surface and that is the source of your leak,
The only way to replace a one piece rear main is to pull the transmission or slide it far enough back in the frame to access the rear main seal. If you are handy, have the tools and shop space then you can do it. Go the tech folder section and read the write up on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.