Should I buy? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Should I buy?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 PM
TheMaker2K
New User
TheMaker2K is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should I buy?

I was looking at this 2004 F250, it looks really clean...until I looked underneath. This is a truck for $13,000 that Id be financing. It has the 6.0L Powerstroke. Should this frame have me worried? The rockers and everything else were very clean. It has 79,000 miles and Im not looking to spend a ton of money in repairs. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Are you needing a diesel truck or just wanting this truck since it is lifted and has pretty wheels on it? Or maybe your buddies own a diesel and you are trying to keep up with them?

Are you a previous diesel owner? Ready for the higher cost of owning a diesel even if no repairs or the frame is ok? Oil changes, filters, fuel are higher costs associated with a diesel.

Unless you really need a diesel, shop for a gasser.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:18 AM
Bulldog44
Junior User
Bulldog44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just answer the guys question if you can. No need to question someone's decision on why he is buying this truck.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
The suspension has me worried. Look at the tire wear on the front. You'll need to get that sorted and buy all new tires. The interior looks clean except for the cigarette burns.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bulldog44 View Post
Just answer the guys question if you can. No need to question someone's decision on why he is buying this truck.
everything I said comes down to whether he thinks it is a good buy or not. You telling him to buy or not buy doesn't matter, it what he decides and why in the end. So I will give advise as I see fit and you can do the same, so there is no need to question my reasons as I will not question yours.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 AM
Djosbun
Senior User
Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are lending institutions that will actually provide a loan on a 15 year old vehicle? What interest rate do they charge?

Dave

Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
If yoy must finance the $13K; how are you going to pay when the six oh money ho needs a whole bunch more money spent on it in order tolive???????????

You know the saying that owning a boat is just a hole in the water to throw money into?????? Well, owning a 6.0 *can* be a hole in your driveway that you throw money into.
Good luck.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
educated answer can only be provided by.. a good understanding of the SUBJECT......

and the OP is offering very little information.. other then nice photo's with little detail of issues.
no service history...

as for frame photo... frames are very poorly painted.. no primer... so paint starts failing the first winter... same with suspension...

loans... available for OLD vehicles... have High Interest rates... as parts fail.. loan is placed on back burner.. till vehicle is running again..
my opinion.

someone did a Fine Job of "Detailing" an old truck... aka hiding sins...
I so dislike detailed used... its real life has been erased....or covered over.

as already said..
do you NEED diesel
do you NEED 4x4...

I got my 2012 F 250. 6.2L Gas 2 wheel drive.. for $14,000 in 2015.. from a fleet/lease dealer. and its still a great , no trouble truck.
and it came with all service records... from day one..

Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM
GN1220
Senior User
GN1220 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

Originally Posted by Djosbun View Post
There are lending institutions that will actually provide a loan on a 15 year old vehicle? What interest rate do they charge?

Dave
My credit union will loan on just about anything at a very competitive rate.

Personally I think the truck looks good and I would enjoy owning it. As noted, you might need ball joints or something in the front and you definitely need tires but those are rather small issues. I would take it to a reputable shop and have it checked out. As far as the frame, take it somewhere, have the underside soda blasted and then paint it and enjoy.
At the end of the day it's your money and will be your truck. Do what you want and enjoy life.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Juneaudave
Junior User
Juneaudave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like a fun truck. I would want to know what's going on with the tires/front end as they look horrible...and I would want an estimate for repair. I've found from the school of hard knocks that if a person lets his tires go like that, there are probably lots of other maintenance things going on that have been ignored. I would also want to know what has been done on the engine...I see the Banks Power emblems which could mean anything.... Also, check the fender wells closely and make sure the fender flares aren't covering up any rust.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Batman7777
Elder User
Batman7777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No way Jose'

Offer $4500

Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM
don123
Elder User
don123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Batman7777 View Post
No way Jose'

Offer $4500
Thats what I say! I see trucks like that going for 4 to 7k around here.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Spamfritter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would check that frame and make sure there aren't any places where its more than just surface oxidization. Rust is always worse than it looks, never better. If you do buy it, get something on that frame to protect it and prevent the problem from getting worse. I'm not saying you should buy it, but if you really want to, I'd be very careful. As others have said, the 6.0's can be massive money pits. As for the lift, the 4x4 etc. I like all that about it. Whether or not you need 4x4 or a lift, or diesel is sometimes besides the point. If you want it and can afford it, then by all means go for it.

One other point of caution. I'd be concerned about the engine having been tuned to produce more power. Sometimes people go nuts tuning those things and parts start to break. If you do buy it, I'd advise some sort of warranty on it and read the fine print about what they do and do not cover. After market warranties are notorious for trying to do anything they can to avoid paying claims.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
HeyMaker, you don't indicated where you are located (rust belt or not) nor do you indicate your level of knowledge regarding these SuperDuty trucks and/or the 6.0 litre diesel engine specifically. First, I would advise you slide over to the 6.0 diesel forum and do some reading on the potential issues you may face in owning a 6.0 diesel ... and what it costs to "bulletproof" them (that's a search work you might want to use). Assuming you get schooled up and wish to proceed, let me comment on the rust.

A thorough, undercarriage inspection is in order before you jump to buy. I live in rust country so what I see in the pics would not necessarily scare me off. Undercarriages, inside door and body panels etc. can be oiled sprayed or chemically treated (Krown Rust Control or my favourite = Fluid Film). It'll make the dust stick to everything and accumulate making things look dirty and unkempt but those dirt layers are a good thing when defending against rust. The bigger issue for me would be ... what condition are the rest of the parts underneath. Things like brake lines, steering, brake and suspension components etc. That is where you'll pay the price for having unchecked corrosion.

You state you don't want to pay a ton for repairs. Well, that suggests you don't know diesels all that well (they cost more to maintain) ... especially this particular era of diesel i.e. the 6.0L engine. They can be made to be very reliable and desirable ... but that will cost a ton of money ... something you said you did not want to spend. I'm also sensing despite the lower mileage on this unit, there may be other issues you'll need to address already mentioned in previous posts above.

Bottom line, if it were my money, I would pass on this vehicle solely based on asking price (1.5 to 2x high), what you've said and what I see in the pics.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Very pretty truck from the outside. Interior looks decent as well except of course for the holes in the driver's seat. Seems a bit overpriced to me. You're looking at a minimum another $1,500 for tires. There's another thread about someone looking at a lifted truck, lots of comments about folks recommending against buying a lifted truck. I would do the usual - look for service records, crawl underneath and look at the cross members on the bed. IMHO I believe you can do better if you invest the time in searching. I usually set a price point, milage, year, fuel and color (or in my case "not" color) and search the country. It's less expensive to have a vehicle shipped than you might think plus you can use the shipping cost as a negotiation point. If you spend the time searching you'll get a good idea of how much you should expect to pay for what you are looking for and adjust your expectations accordingly. It took me 6 months to find my '04 and 3 months to find my '13. Both trucks turned out to be solid hassle free vehicles. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.