2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Best leveling kit for ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Justin Ratto
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best leveling kit for ride?

So I have a 2018 f250 and wanted to level it so I put with some 2.5 blocks and I hate the ride so now I wanted to do it right and put on new 2.5 carli coil springs and Fox shocks.. aka the commuter kit. I am just chasing a great ride, I don’t do much off roading, I just want the best on road ride... can I have some opinions on this carli kit or should I go with thuren ot and suggestions please? Thanks y’all

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just ordered the Commuter Kit. Everything I've read is that the commuter kit, plus 17-18" wheels & larger tires are your best route. Read this article for how tires & wheels affect ride:
Tires and Wheels: How Do They Affect My Ride? ? Carli Suspension, Inc.

I am starting with the commuter kit & bumping to 37" tires. Down the road, I will upgrade the rear springs to full Deaver leaf packs & then eventually the King Pintop shocks.

I've driven a 17 f350 with the carli pintop kit - It's absolutely amazing on and off road. pricey, but you'd never guess you were driving a 1 ton. It rides as good or better than my old Ram 1500, and it rode like a Cadillac.

I think you're on the right path. Carli is top notch.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Yup, jrwinger has it nailed. The commuter with the full deavers in the rear is the best on road ride I think you'll ever get out of SD without going all out on triple bypass shocks and custom springs front and rear. You should be really happy with the Commuter and 18's. If you have 20's, itll ride better, but not as good as it would with 18's.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Justin Ratto
Freshman User
I was just planning on doing the coil springs and all 4 shocks.. opinions... I also tow and don’t want to lose capability wit 15% lighter leafs in the rear..

Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM
jrwinger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justin Ratto
I was just planning on doing the coil springs and all 4 shocks.. opinions... I also tow and don’t want to lose capability wit 15% lighter leafs in the rear..
deaver springs with airbags (I have Firestone) retains factory payload numbers. Best of both worlds, comfortable ride unloaded, safe and stout when loaded.

You could also upgrade to fox or king shocks with compression adjustments. Check out accutune off-road for shocks with compression adjustment (that way you can firm up the valving when you are towing.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Thuren isnt doing anything on these trucks. I asked and he said no and doubts he will. I guess he is busy with the Ram trucks.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:40 PM
JetMechJoe
Junior User
just do a bds 4inch RA lift with bds-fox 2.0 shocks. You won't regret it

Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 PM
Bodhi0175
New User
I recently (January) did the Carli Back Country with full Deavers and upgraded the shocks to 2.5" Fox resi's all the way around. I plan to do airbags next but overall, it's the best riding truck I've owned...even over stock. I'm running 37" Ridge Grapplers on 20" Hostile Alphas. Love this truck!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Ratto
I was in the same boat. So I ust put the 2.5" Fox DSC in the rear (and front) - the adjustability is nice for when you do tow - and kept springs stock
Carli 2.5" spring in the front
Also put on an adjustable track bar and adjustable radius arms to clear my 37's with no trimming
Rides great on 37's on 17's - couldn't be happier

I know the deavers in the rear would be a huge improvement but couldn't take the payload hit and wasn't interested investing in their $900 air bag kit for the deavers to fix the payload problem.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 385 Likes on 257 Posts
quality rear shocks make a MASSIVE improvement without even touching the rear springs, i also deleted the rear sway bar and that definitely helped. Cannot stand a rear sway bar on a solid axle leaf spring truck. and yes i tow 18k lol

i don't think you'll be disappointed with the carli kit, you'll probably need to let a bunch of air outta the tires cause the shop will wanna throw 80PSI in those

Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 PM
rewillia
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
Yup, jrwinger has it nailed. The commuter with the full deavers in the rear is the best on road ride I think you'll ever get out of SD without going all out on triple bypass shocks and custom springs front and rear. You should be really happy with the Commuter and 18's. If you have 20's, itll ride better, but not as good as it would with 18's.
​​​​​​So, I'll ask; In terms of leveling, whats the price range one can expect to spend on a complete Carli Commuter set-up with the full rear Deavers and air bags run (installed by authorized retailer)?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 PM
350LTD
Freshman User
All carli prices are fixed. I ordered mine from CJC Offroad, mainly because of the customer support.

After getting my my buddy (former gm master mechanic) to help put mine on in the driveway, I don’t think I can give a good price for install! I don’t think I would want to do it again...

Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 AM
arenner18
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go commuter you might want to go with the add-a-pack leafs as that’s what Carli tunes that kit for. Also the commuter is the only kit tuned for 20” wheels so if you do go 20”s you won’t be sacrificing much ride quality.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 AM
jrwinger
Senior User
Originally Posted by rewillia
​​​​​​So, I'll ask; In terms of leveling, whats the price range one can expect to spend on a complete Carli Commuter set-up with the full rear Deavers and air bags run (installed by authorized retailer)?
my local shop (who is an authorized carli) bid me 7 hours labor to install a commuter kit with full Deaver packs. @ $110/hr - so $770 for labor. That included an alignment after install.

There may may be a bit more for the airbags, I installed those myself in under 2 hours.

Look at the commuter kit on carlis website for pricing, I don’t recall off the top of my head, but I think it was about $3100-3200 with the Deavers

add 500ish for a good airbag setup from firestone and about $75 for some daystar cups (they allow the airbags and rear leafs to fully articulate).

So call it $4500-5000 rough estimate

Old 03-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Justin Ratto
Freshman User
carli commuter

So I can’t really tell the difference between stock ride and carli commuter kit to be honest, carli feels a little more unsettled to be honest
Originally Posted by jrwinger
I just ordered the Commuter Kit. Everything I've read is that the commuter kit, plus 17-18" wheels & larger tires are your best route. Read this article for how tires & wheels affect ride:
Tires and Wheels: How Do They Affect My Ride? ? Carli Suspension, Inc.

I am starting with the commuter kit & bumping to 37" tires. Down the road, I will upgrade the rear springs to full Deaver leaf packs & then eventually the King Pintop shocks.

I've driven a 17 f350 with the carli pintop kit - It's absolutely amazing on and off road. pricey, but you'd never guess you were driving a 1 ton. It rides as good or better than my old Ram 1500, and it rode like a Cadillac.

I think you're on the right path. Carli is top notch.

Quick Reply: Best leveling kit for ride?