Exhaust Upgrade - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Exhaust Upgrade

Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Loftatsea
Senior User
Loftatsea is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exhaust Upgrade

Here in wonderful NYC we now need to comply with a new law that all diesel engines manufactured before 2008 need to retrofit their trucks to meet emission standards of 2008 engines. I have one 2000 7.3 and 4 6.0 trucks. So far the only solution I have come across costs between $17,500 and $20,000 PER TRUCK!!! Does anyone know of a potential solution to meet this criteria? Thank you.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
varminthunter243 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Move to a more freedom friendly state is the only thing I can think of.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Do you mean emissions numbers or equipment? I'm curious to see what everyone says if you get some more responses. With the trending epa and local emissions standards, this may not be too far in the future for all of us.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Hank85713
Posting Guru
Hank85713 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hank85713 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
there is really no way to enforce this as the requirement is not really feasable UNLESS you install 08 computers etc. As long as the vehicle meets established requirements for date of manufacture is all they can enforce. But then again look at the idiots they elect and that will probably explain this bs. 04 was the 1st time I think ford put cats on the diesel not sure but again they may only be able to apply like they did in kalif to the commercial trucks on the ports.

This is just another push by politicians to get their hands in the peoples pockets.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
My 03 7.3 had no cat. My 04 6.0 had a single solid state cat. So believe your date range is correct. This from the city that also outlawed the big gulp.........lord have mercy

Old 03-14-2019, 03:06 PM
namnguye
Senior User
namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.namnguye has a good reputation on FTE.
Are you sure the law applies to you?

Looks like mostly public agencies, unless you have school buses.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Loftatsea
Senior User
Originally Posted by varminthunter243 View Post
Do you mean emissions numbers or equipment? I'm curious to see what everyone says if you get some more responses. With the trending epa and local emissions standards, this may not be too far in the future for all of us.
Emission numbers. The way this was done is crazy; even for NYC. They passed the law a couple of years ago with NO idea of the technology that would be available to accomplish this. We were given a survey asking how we would comply with this new law. We were told we could reply with "best available retrofit technology". Well, as I said, the only available technology appears to be something that is equal to or more than the value of the truck in many cases.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Loftatsea
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hank85713 View Post
there is really no way to enforce this as the requirement
That's another issue. We have not been told how this will be enforced.

This requirement only applies to trucks that carry trade waste. As a landscaping company we fall under this category because we carry grass clippings, leaves, yard debris, etc. There is a special commission that regulates trade waste in NYC. It was originally created by Giuliani to get the mob out of the carting business in NY.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:32 PM
Loftatsea
Senior User
Originally Posted by namnguye View Post
Are you sure the law applies to you?
Unfortunately, yes.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
That's a hard spot to be in. Not even sure it's possible with a 7.3..........without a ton of money anyway.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
NJ has a similar compliance law but mostly pertains to commercial business equipment like dozers and tractors. As a business owner you can apply with the DEP and they will "help" fund a portion to retrofit your equipment.
In most cases equipment is going to auction and contractors are leasing equipment for jobs so they don't worry about the retro-fit.
I've never heard of it applying to light duty pickup trucks so that is a first if that is how it is. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Dozers and tractors ......

Pete, do you have any link to this.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post

I did. I'll try to see what I can dig up. It might even be found on the DEP website.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post

o.k. here you go. This law was "adopted" by NJ and I'm sure NY was similar.
https://www.stopthesoot.org/retrofit.htm

What vehicles are covered by the Diesel Retrofit Law?
Owners of regulated vehicles and equipment are responsible for complying with the Diesel Retrofit Program rules. Regulated vehicles are those that are powered by a diesel engine and include:
  • School buses
  • Solid Waste Vehicles that are publicly-owned or used to perform solid waste services under a public contract
  • Commercial Buses owned by private and public entities
  • Publicly-owned on-road vehicles
  • Publicly-owned off-road vehicles with at least 175 horsepower

Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Thanks Pete. Even the AC HD9 dozer is under that power.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.