1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Low compression in a few cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Jghake
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low compression in a few cylinders

I'm seeing low compression in a few cylinders and I'm thinking that valve seals are probably the culprit. Any input?

Old 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Just so everyone is on the same page. Question: did you remove all the spark plugs, use fresh charged battery, block the carb throttle and choke open? Was the engine warmed up? Maybe you know this stuff, though not everyone does. Those numbers are not good, I'm sure you know that.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You could do a leak-down test, it would tell you more.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Jghake
Mountain Pass
I put the truck on my "automatic charger" 10a 12v and let it sit for a few hours before the test. All plugs out but I didn't do anything with the carb or air cleaner, I just left it. So I guess choke closed. Engine was cold as I did this all while I've got my manifolds off for a gasket change.

Although the battery was charged it still doesn't act like it wants to turn over very well.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
Valve seals have nothing to do with compression. Their job is to control the oil going down the valve stem into the cylinder.

How many miles on this engine? What type of engine?

Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 693 Likes on 556 Posts
I'm with Tedster and Chris. Those numbers don't look good, but I've always been taught not to condemn an engine based solely on a cranking compression test. If the other way around and the numbers had looked good on a cranking compression test, then yep, that's fine to say the engine is okay.

But when a cranking compression test comes in low? There are just so many variables. Battery health and state of charge? Tired starter? Marginal battery cables? Those are just a few examples. All your results mean is you should run a leakdown test for confirmation. More specific, and less chance for error.

In addition to what Ted mentioned, not only should the battery be fully charged, but I even keep it on a charger as I move the tester between cylinders. You don't need misleading readings as the battery slowly runs down as each cylinder is tested.

Another thing I like to do before starting the test is to disconnect and cap the fuel line at the carb inlet. Then I run the engine until the carb runs dry. My intent is to prevent any fuel from being drawn into the cylinders and washing oil from the walls. Probably a moot point, as there is virtually no suction with all the plugs removed, but I like to give a tired engine the best odds for an accurate test.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The compression # itself is important but whether they are even #s across every cylinder maybe more so.

Another thing to watch when doing the test itself is how many "puffs" it takes to reach the highest pressure, and how fast, ideally it will reach the maximum value very quickly, maybe after the 2nd something like that. Can kind of get a feel that way after doing a few different engines, when they are "lazy" and slow to get to the highest # that isn't good either.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:41 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 693 Likes on 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Jghake
All plugs out but I didn't do anything with the carb or air cleaner, I just left it. So I guess choke closed.

Please see my previous comments about the suspect reliability of cranking compression test results.

Strike 1: The closed choke limits the airflow into the cylinders. With less air to compress, pressure can't build up as normal. Definitely secure the choke plate AND the throttle butterfly(s) fully open.

Strike 2: The closed choke MIGHT be letting raw fuel reach the cylinder walls, washing off oil and reducing compression. I say MIGHT as there probably isn't a lot of suction with 7 of the 8 cylinders open, but who knows. It's likely overkill, but as previously mentioned, I like to block the fuel supply and run the carb dry before a cranking compression test.

​​​​​​Engine was cold as I did this all while I've got my manifolds off for a gasket change.
​​​​​​

Strike 3: An engine makes less compression when cold. The test needs to be done with the engine warm.

Although the battery was charged it still doesn't act like it wants to turn over very well.
Strike 4, and you're only allowed 3!: The starter system (battery, cables, starter relay, and starter itself) has to be in top-notch condition. If the cranking speed is low, your test results will also be low. This is a HUGE factor for an accurate test.

It sounds like something is seriously wrong with your starter system. With 7 of the 8 cylinders open to the atmosphere, it doesn't take much effort to furiously spin the crankshaft. Get that fixed before trying again. Details here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...w-starter.html
​​​​
At this point, I would suggest purchasing a small bottle of lighter fluid, a small metal box, and some 5 minute epoxy. These supplieswould be very handy in a situation like this.I

Take the paper with your previous test results and soak it with in lighter fluid. Set the wet paper on a surface you're not worried about damaging, such as a concrete patio or the hood of a Prius. From a safe distance, toss a match (lit, in case I have to be specific) at the paper. Once the ashes cool, sweep them into the metal box. Seal the lid with the epoxy. Find an abandoned well or vertical mine shaft, preferably at least several hundred feet deep. Making sure your footing is secure, toss the sealed box into the abyss. Return home, get a fresh sheet of paper, and try the test again, only this time following the advice from this thread. I think you will be much happier with the results.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Jghake
Mountain Pass
Did a leak down test today. I calibrated the tester before each cylinder, and each cylinder was at TDC. I would get the %, then hook up shop air to find where it was leaking.

1 - 50% leak down, air out of pcv hole in valve cover
2 - 40% leak down, air out of pcv and radiator
3 - 40% leak down, difficult to find where it's leaking
4 - 50% leak down, air out exhaust
5 - 43% leak down, air out pcv
6 - 38% leak down, difficult to find where it's leaking
7 - 45% leak down, air out pcv
8 - 40% leak down, air out exhaust

Old 03-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Franklin2
All those PCV leaks are rings. You never did say how many miles were on this engine. It looks like it's wore out.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Jghake
Mountain Pass
I have no idea how many miles. Odometer says 93k but this truck has at least 293k on it. Not sure if it's the original engine.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Franklin2
I have no idea how many miles. Odometer says 93k but this truck has at least 293k on it. Not sure if it's the original engine.
Probably is.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Jghake
Mountain Pass
Well what do you think my next best step would be?

I think I'm going to start a rebuild project...

Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Franklin2
You can limp along with it if you take care of it. I got my 1980 f150 for $300 years ago because I had moved and needed 4x4. The engine smoked like crazy and used a quart of oil to go to work which was only 30 miles. So I never drove it unless the weather was bad and I needed 4x4. And I always took oil with me. While that was going on I got a free 302 engine out of a Lincoln Mark IV. It had been run out of oil and needed a crank shaft, but the cylinder bores looked good. Got a crankshaft kit from the store, got the heads rebuilt, found out I had some cracked pistons so new pistons, honed the standard bores, put it all together, and had a nice little engine that lasted 8 years till the crankshaft broke. I blame that on the crankshaft kit I got.

Then I found a complete 1978 Mercury Cougar that ran with a 351w for $200. Bought the whole car, pull the engine out. Had to find a oil pan for it. Dropped that in place. A few other things would not fit because the 351w was taller and wider, but got that worked out and that engine was in it till I sold the truck.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Jghake
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You can limp along with it if you take care of it. I got my 1980 f150 for $300 years ago because I had moved and needed 4x4. The engine smoked like crazy and used a quart of oil to go to work which was only 30 miles. So I never drove it unless the weather was bad and I needed 4x4. And I always took oil with me. While that was going on I got a free 302 engine out of a Lincoln Mark IV. It had been run out of oil and needed a crank shaft, but the cylinder bores looked good. Got a crankshaft kit from the store, got the heads rebuilt, found out I had some cracked pistons so new pistons, honed the standard bores, put it all together, and had a nice little engine that lasted 8 years till the crankshaft broke. I blame that on the crankshaft kit I got.

Then I found a complete 1978 Mercury Cougar that ran with a 351w for $200. Bought the whole car, pull the engine out. Had to find a oil pan for it. Dropped that in place. A few other things would not fit because the 351w was taller and wider, but got that worked out and that engine was in it till I sold the truck.
I think what I'd like to try to do is rebuild my engine. I'd like to reuse the crank and pistons if I can, but I won't know if I will be able to until I tear into it. I'd like to put an RV cam in it, GT40 heads, longtube headers and an Edelbrock Performer with my Edelbrock 1406. Since this engine needs rings, a new head gasket, and the heads redone I might as well have the GT40 heads machined instead, and if I'm going to have the bottom end apart I think the new cam is something I'd like too.

Here is what I'm thinking.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...31-3/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...-000/overview/

Quick Reply: Low compression in a few cylinders