Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A new month, a new problem... ZF-6 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:55 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A new month, a new problem... ZF-6 help

I honestly didn’t see this one coming as I’ve never had a manual transmission give me any real problem (clutches excluded). Driving into town Sunday afternoon, go to grab fifth, it gives me a little grind as usual... it’s done this as long as I’ve had it, and no gear. I have sixth, and fourth... what happened? Sinc row is my first guess, but I have very little understanding of the working internals of a manual transmission. I’ve been inside a few automatics as they don’t last nearly as long as a manual.

Im also wondering if it’s easier (and cheaper) to fix it, or just replace it?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal-Bob
I honestly didn’t see this one coming as I’ve never had a manual transmission give me any real problem (clutches excluded). Driving into town Sunday afternoon, go to grab fifth, it gives me a little grind as usual... it’s done this as long as I’ve had it, and no gear. I have sixth, and fourth... what happened? Sinc row is my first guess, but I have very little understanding of the working internals of a manual transmission. I’ve been inside a few automatics as they don’t last nearly as long as a manual.

Im also wondering if it’s easier (and cheaper) to fix it, or just replace it?
Synchro is probably your issue. Your first sign of this is the "grind as usual".

As for replacing vs. repair, I cannot answer that and you should seek professional help.

I will tell you that a 4x2 is much more difficult to get than a 4x4. Check out All Star Standard transmissions out of Florida. They have a great reputation from what I have seen.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
In the old days, it would have been easier to just go pick up the parts you need from the local junkyard and fix it yourself. I've done that before. Problem is, that was on a 64 pickup with a 3 speed transmission. That transmission was about the size of the tail housing on the ZF-6. There's also some special tools required for the ZF, so a repair shop is in order, or have a reman shipped to you, but then you've still got to deal with that massive transmission.

So the next question is, how old is your clutch? Cheap time to replace it while the transmission is already out.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Id start with a drain and refill of plain ol mercV..(add extra qt for good measure)

Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 AM
shortblockchevy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drain the fluid and filter it through some type of cloth. There is a round magnet in the very bottom of the tail housing that usually catches metal, but look at the fluid first. I just replaced the OD gear and output bearing in a 4x4 and the magnet caught "most" of the sheered teeth.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:19 PM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Id start with a drain and refill of plain ol mercV..(add extra qt for good measure)

Fishing around, I found that you had a tranny go bad (2013?) did this save your transmission?

From the above posts, and doing some research, it would probably be easier for me to R&R it instead of ripping into it myself. That is if fresh fluid doesn’t cure the issue. I’m also thinking it could be a bent shift fork, but the same fork covers third (technical 4th) and it goes into gear just fine.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
You used to be able to source a NEW not rebuilt ZF6 from a transmission shop in Pit, PA. Joes or something like that. That's what I did. A good rebuilder should be able to put a new gear in yours though.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM
shortblockchevy
Junior User

Fishing around, I found that you had a tranny go bad (2013?) did this save your transmission?

From the above posts, and doing some research, it would probably be easier for me to R&R it instead of ripping into it myself. That is if fresh fluid doesn’t cure the issue. I’m also thinking it could be a bent shift fork, but the same fork covers third (technical 4th) and it goes into gear just fine.
Getting it out of the truck is the worst part. If you have a lift and a transmission jack even that is only a 3 hour job. At worst.
Sit it on the bell housing and split the case.
Then you'll know what you are working with.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:25 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

same ol tranny Bobbay. Just more attention to fluid change(30k since fluids' cheap). Now, ive done a few clutches but whatever. She still banging at 290k

Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
You used to be able to source a NEW not rebuilt ZF6 from a transmission shop in Pit, PA. Joes or something like that. That's what I did. A good rebuilder should be able to put a new gear in yours though.
Im really hoping it doesn’t come down to that, but if I do, I’ll probably go with one already rebuilt. I don’t know if there’s any shops near me that have the tooling to do the job correctly.

Originally Posted by shortblockchevy
Getting it out of the truck is the worst part. If you have a lift and a transmission jack even that is only a 3 hour job. At worst.
Sit it on the bell housing and split the case.
Then you'll know what you are working with.

Im not looking forward to dropping it. It’s a heavy ****, and I don’t have a lift or a trans jack. I have a motorcycle jack that I might be able to modify. I did some digging around, and the ZF6 requires a jig to disassemble and reassemble, and it isn’t cheap. I don’t think I’ll be splitting this one.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
same ol tranny Bobbay. Just more attention to fluid change(30k since fluids' cheap). Now, ive done a few clutches but whatever. She still banging at 290k

Glad to gear it! That gives me hope that I’m not screwed. Haha

Were your symptoms the same?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 AM
shortblockchevy
Junior User
You can split it with basic hand tools. Don't believe the hype that these are some type of magical transmissions. They're not simple, but it's not rocket science. I had two hours in removing the tail housing, replaced the OD gear and synchronizer and output bearing.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:47 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
You can split it with basic hand tools. Don't believe the hype that these are some type of magical transmissions. They're not simple, but it's not rocket science. I had two hours in removing the tail housing, replaced the OD gear and synchronizer and output bearing.

If a fluid change doesn’t fix the problem, then this will be plan B. I better get a backup vehicle working before tackling this kind of project. Besides replacing clutches, I haven’t had the joy of getting into a manual trans.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 AM
shortblockchevy
Junior User

If a fluid change doesn’t fix the problem, then this will be plan B. I better get a backup vehicle working before tackling this kind of project. Besides replacing clutches, I haven’t had the joy of getting into a manual trans.
Let me know if I can help. I have the Ford repair manual printed out and the parts list. I'm definitely not a transmission guru, but as far as removing the tail housing and reassembling it's no harder than popping valve covers.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:10 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
Let me know if I can help. I have the Ford repair manual printed out and the parts list. I'm definitely not a transmission guru, but as far as removing the tail housing and reassembling it's no harder than popping valve covers.

I really appreciate that! I’ll let you know if it comes down to that.

What bothers me the most is that I called the previous owner, just to find out this trans is only three years old.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:38 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I really appreciate that! I’ll let you know if it comes down to that.

What bothers me the most is that I called the previous owner, just to find out this trans is only three years old.
Holler if you need another hand. Maybe I can get away for a day. I don't think you're too far from me.

Quick Reply: A new month, a new problem... ZF-6 help