6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Injector harness route?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Injector harness route?

Should injector harness be running above between oil filter & fuel filter housing or pinch below between manifold and filter housing?
I had my oil cooler replaced. When I got it home I looked under the hood, and I know my 6.0 pretty well have done replacement and cleaning projects on it several times. I found that my wiring harness was run underneath my oil and fuel filter housing instead of above in between. I also found that they left out Live Wire cover above my Turbo.
needless to say when I talk to mechanic / owner. He told me that the cover above the turbo with decorative didn't serve no purpose I said WHAT. And then he told me that he done a hundred oil cooler replacement and that's the way that they want it Ford specific. Again i said WHAT! Needless to say was a bit bitch fast after that. I rerouted the harness in a matter of an hour and a half and put my cover back on.
I would just like some input from the pros on this forum on this Ford specific deal he's talking about. To be honest I know he's wrong but I would like some opinion, and if anybody knows a good diesel shop in Northeast Florida that's worth salt. I would be appreciative. I do most of my own work but sometimes I just don't have the time, but here lately i think I need to make the time to do it.
Thanks guys for any professional opinions I can get on those two questions

Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Can you take a photo of it and post please. Also if your talking about that plastic wiring carrier is not an optional item and Ford still sells it.
The reason that is that way is to keep the harness away from the heat of the turbo. Sounds like that guy is shoveling road apples. Anyone
that is not sure what I am talking about use this link >>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=road%20apples

Someone should have a photo of how it lays.

NOTE : Ford (IH really) changed the intake manifold stud location on the NEW harness for the injectors.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Can you take a photo of it and post please. Also if your talking about that plastic wiring carrier is not an optional item and Ford still sells it.
The reason that is that way is to keep the harness away from the heat of the turbo. Sounds like that guy is shoveling road apples. Anyone
that is not sure what I am talking about use this link >>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=road%20apples

Someone should have a photo of how it lays.

NOTE : Ford (IH really) changed the intake manifold stud location on the NEW harness for the injectors.
Thanks for your relpy Yahiko. Having trouble with the picture part, we'll work on that. But if you look down from the top of your 6.o to your fuel filter and oil filter housing you'll see the wiring harness running up above right between the two going down to the right side of the motor, driver side. The way they put it in they had it tucked up underneath filter housing, pinched between intake and housing. He told me that was ford specific On the plastic cover. I epoxied the piece back together and reinstalled to design to keep the harness away from Turbo.
Again Thanks for your reply, I wanted some expert opinion and I got it
Thank you much.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
As Sean said, it routed that way to be away from turbo heat. They would not spend the money for that molding of the part if it wasn’t considered important. I ordered a new one when I broke mine.

There were harness changes, mostly during the early years. I believe both with the main and injector harness. My version I know is different then the one I ordered 6 months later in production date. However, listening to the BS stream from your shop, comparing pictures of other motors from your year would be the best map. I don’t remember Ford ever coming out with a TSB to re-route the harnesses. Possibly Mark (Bismic) with his encyclopedia of stats would have a better response. But I’d trust your memory over your shop everyday.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Jack I think the only thing about harness rerouting did not come from Ford bu guys in the field.
As I recall there is a thread in the Tech Folder about harness chafing points and most had to do
with incorrect placement of the harness after work was done. Also watch out for sharp things pressing
on the harness. Things like uncovered valve cover studs. There is also the air filter crush point.

I am one of the types that would say to the shop "You Broke It You Can Pay For It".

Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic
Honestly guys that's what I thought. I did look into it. watched the diesel tech Ron video on YouTube of course, Ron was great. And he outlined to definitely watch for chafing on the intake bolts and to not run the harness underneath your filter housing. I have already fixed the problem.I know it will not be returning to that shop, like I said in earlier post I will find time to do my own work.
Thanks again guys I really enjoy your information it's always helpful and handy.
Dave.
P.s. i am workimg on the uploading pictures problems, I think I got it though thanks.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:33 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Sean, yeah the early days were a real issue. Mark probably has some data that was posted on Keith Browning's site DTS. I remember an article that covered some good points to watch. But there were harness changes, just maybe not as a TSB.

Dave if you need help with pics let us know.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Sean, yeah the early days were a real issue. Mark probably has some data that was posted on Keith Browning's site DTS. I remember an article that covered some good points to watch. But there were harness changes, just maybe not as a TSB.

Dave if you need help with pics let us know.
Just like the update of the injector harness. The one I got a few years back after you moved the
intake stud seemed to fit a little better and without the tight spots like the old one.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic

O.K. I figured out the upload problem,i was trying to use my android phone to to it. Have to work on that another day. Anyway this is what my 04.5 6.0 looks like now. And yes i'm missing a nut on my MAP ,ya'll are thorough.so i'll own up now. Again thanks. Message me if ya have recommendations on shop in N.E. Fla

Old 03-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Ok The harness should be under the black flex pipe leading to the turbo on the forward side of the CVC
from there it branches to the sensor and over to the Coolant temp and the fan and I think your the EBP.
After that it's on the turbo side of the oil fuel filter housing and has. branch leading up to the EGR and I Jack has the correct routing in the photo below I goofed.
think the butterfly valve. It goes to the alternator and down to the AC and the sensor. With the Glow plug
module also ending around there There will be two Glow plug harness connectors leading from the main
harness on both sides. There will be a branch or two leading back to the oil pressure and temp sensors
and one going up to the VGT. Oh and I almost forgot the AI2 on the manifold that comes off around the
same place as the coolant temp. (I think???)

How much do you want to bet I mis placed a few things? Part of the trick is getting it to lay and once you
have done that and everything reaches and there are no points that could cause chafing issues you should
be good.

I sure wished I could find that harness layout photo I have somewhere.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

He has an '04.

He are some pics I have before pulling my motor out. Mostly I have video.

Attached Images              
Old 03-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Thanks Jack I corrected my post and pointed to your photos.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:18 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
OP, It sounds like you resolved your issue but heres a couple pics. These 2 are from the earlier years but you should get the gist. If I can find 05+ I'll post it.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:56 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Good thoughts Pete. I never thought to pull up the wiring diagrams.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:54 AM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic

This is a pic i dug up from past work i have done.It clearly shows harness running above and between the filter housings.Thanks for the pics and diagrams, very useful. will save diagram for future use. As always thanks guys

Quick Reply: Injector harness route?