need a/c - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

need a/c

Old 03-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I did have hose failure once during a conversion,it was on a old Dodge Caravan. Did the conversion, charged it up, everything was working great. Went out the next day, no A/C. Opened the hood, and one of the hoses looked like oil had been dripped all along the hose. It was obvious it had failed. Well, finally found a new hose, and after vacuuming it out and refilling with r134a, back in business.

That's the same vehicle where I was using it all summer, patting myself on the back for nice cold A/C on such a junky looking vehicle. Well toward the end, it quit working again. Looked and found the clutch had fallen apart on the compressor. Got a new clutch, rented the installer tool, got it all installed. Went to pull a vacuum, it would not pull a good vacuum. I messed around with it trying to find where it was leaking. I don't recommend this but I have done it several times with no harm. I have a fitting I rigged up and can put shop air on the system. Did that and heard a hissing. Found out when the clutch had started falling apart, part of it flew out and was hitting the steel tubing on one of the lines, and wore a hole in it. That was my brand new lines I just had bought.

I knew I was not good enough to weld the hole shut. I filed all around it and cleaned it up really good, and put some JB weld on it. Held like a champ, vacuum it out, charged it up, had A/C again.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:04 PM
mcarb80682
Junior User
mcarb80682 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the reply pictures of my system. It seems aftermarket not original. My friend has told me to buy a complete system on ebay 300 to 500

Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 PM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That is 100% aftermarket. I would at the very least replace all hoses, drier, and expansion valve and convert to R134a. Your evaporator and compressor may we worth saving.

Then again you probably need a new condenser due to the R12 style not working well with R134a coupled with the fact that aftermarket systems may be marginal to begin with.

Wait...I don't even see a compressor! Maybe just buy the whole new system like your friend said and charge it yourself.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 AM
mcarb80682
Junior User
The compressor locked up. So we removed it. I have to spots i could mount the new compressor at passager or driverside. When i look online i see that they have these compressor called sander style and the kits have clamps like what is on my system also. Are clamps ok. I see they have a piece that extend so they are different

Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 AM
jackietreehorn
Elder User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by mcarb80682 View Post
The compressor locked up. So we removed it. I have to spots i could mount the new compressor at passager or driverside. When i look online i see that they have these compressor called sander style and the kits have clamps like what is on my system also. Are clamps ok. I see they have a piece that extend so they are different
Sanden style are good. You mean like regular old hose clamps? I wouldn't want them on my truck but I am not an expert.

Here's what you need so far:
Sanden Compressor
Drier
Expansion Valve
Barrier hose (at least 8 feet)

I would recommend buying a condenser for a 1994 F-150, It should more or less bolt in and will be much more efficient. Also you might consider that A/C equipped vehicles usually came with a larger fan or radiator and sometimes a way to increase idle speed when switched on. (to help cooling).

Old 03-13-2019, 11:01 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
What ever you do DO NOT loose any of the compressor mounts as they are vary hard to come by for the 300 six.

My understanding on the hose clamps this was normal practice on after market AC systesyste

Old 03-13-2019, 12:07 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
What ever you do DO NOT loose any of the compressor mounts as they are vary hard to come by for the 300 six.

My understanding on the hose clamps this was normal practice on after market AC system
Dave - - - -

Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
They do use hose clamps on some of these A/C systems. I guess you do not need any heat? I see it's not hooked up either.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 AM
mcarb80682
Junior User
Im in miami heat is the last thing in my mind. I will be reinstalling bad a/c compressor the try creat a vacuum to see if it holds . if it does not and i can pinpoint i will be ordering a whole ac kit on ebay if i can pinpoint then replace that part. A friend of mines used a harbor freight air compressor a/c vacuum and said it work great

Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by mcarb80682 View Post
Im in miami heat is the last thing in my mind. I will be reinstalling bad a/c compressor the try creat a vacuum to see if it holds . if it does not and i can pinpoint i will be ordering a whole ac kit on ebay if i can pinpoint then replace that part. A friend of mines used a harbor freight air compressor a/c vacuum and said it work great
I have the Harbor Freight stuff too, and it does work fine. R134a is cheap at the dollar store, so you can get it going with a conversion kit, and if you have a small leak,, you can fix that and try again. The parts stores also carry a dye you can put in the system and that helps find leaks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.