Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XLT running rough and stalling

Old 02-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Sig226
New User
Sig226 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2016 XLT running rough and stalling

So about 2 months ago I bought a used 2016 F150 with a 5.0. XLT trim with the FX4 package. Had 38k on it when I bought it. Now has 41k. Problem started a couple days after I got it home with running real rough. Got home from dinner one night and it died on me after I had backed into my driveway. Thought it might have been either bad gas or maybe condensation in the fuel tank cause it sat for a while at the dealer for a while before I bought it. Ran the first tank of gas through it and put in a bottle of Techron to see if that helped and started running mid grade fuel in it. First time it stalled on me was maybe a week after I got it home. Called the dealer I bought it from and they told me to bring it to their service center who in turn told me to bring it to Ford because its still covered under the 5/60k factory warranty. Brought it to my local Ford dealer and found out there was recall work that needed to be done and that the truck came out of Canada. Told them about the stalling and rough idle as well as some transmission thumping that I had noticed. They ran a diagnostic on it and couldnít find anything. No stored or pending codes in the computer. That was about a month ago. It would stumble a little here and there but it was something I couldnít readily reproduce, until Sunday. The rough idle came back and stalled on me 3 times. Monday it stalled on me again after getting home from work. And today was the same thing. The truck has never thrown a check engine light any of the times it stalled or started running like a turd. And it only does it when it reaches its regular operating temp. Under load it runs like a champ. Gets up and goes like a scalded dog. I have video of he tach needle bouncing and of it stalling out. Itís to the point now I have to 2 pedal it when I come to a stop so I can feather the throttle so it doesnít stall. Itís going back to the dealer for more warranty work on some parts they didnít have the first time it was there and I already talked to one of the service reps about the additional problems Iím having. Iím hoping with it happening consistently since Sunday that they can reproduce it at the dealer. Regardless Iím showing them the videos I have so they have something to go off of. Has anybody else had this issue? And if you have, what was the remedy for it? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:50 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like a flaky Idle Air Control valve to me.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:05 PM
GABAR
Postmaster
GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.GABAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sig226 View Post
So about 2 months ago I bought a used 2016 F150 with a 5.0. XLT trim with the FX4 package. Had 38k on it when I bought it. Now has 41k. Problem started a couple days after I got it home with running real rough. Got home from dinner one night and it died on me after I had backed into my driveway. Thought it might have been either bad gas or maybe condensation in the fuel tank cause it sat for a while at the dealer for a while before I bought it. Ran the first tank of gas through it and put in a bottle of Techron to see if that helped and started running mid grade fuel in it. First time it stalled on me was maybe a week after I got it home. Called the dealer I bought it from and they told me to bring it to their service center who in turn told me to bring it to Ford because its still covered under the 5/60k factory warranty. Brought it to my local Ford dealer and found out there was recall work that needed to be done and that the truck came out of Canada. Told them about the stalling and rough idle as well as some transmission thumping that I had noticed. They ran a diagnostic on it and couldnít find anything. No stored or pending codes in the computer. That was about a month ago. It would stumble a little here and there but it was something I couldnít readily reproduce, until Sunday. The rough idle came back and stalled on me 3 times. Monday it stalled on me again after getting home from work. And today was the same thing. The truck has never thrown a check engine light any of the times it stalled or started running like a turd. And it only does it when it reaches its regular operating temp. Under load it runs like a champ. Gets up and goes like a scalded dog. I have video of he tach needle bouncing and of it stalling out. Itís to the point now I have to 2 pedal it when I come to a stop so I can feather the throttle so it doesnít stall. Itís going back to the dealer for more warranty work on some parts they didnít have the first time it was there and I already talked to one of the service reps about the additional problems Iím having. Iím hoping with it happening consistently since Sunday that they can reproduce it at the dealer. Regardless Iím showing them the videos I have so they have something to go off of. Has anybody else had this issue? And if you have, what was the remedy for it? Thanks in advance.
It`s too late now but you should have paid to have this vehicle inspected before purchasing it.
With that being said, it might be a throttle body problem.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:25 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
2.7EcoBoost is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
Sounds like a flaky Idle Air Control valve to me.

I'm pretty sure the IAC valve went the way of the dinosaur once the drive by wire throttle bodies were introduced. They control the air flow and yes I think it sounds like a bad throttle body as well. That's a guess based on your symptoms and the fact you have to hold the throttle open to keep it run.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Sig226
New User
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost View Post
I'm pretty sure the IAC valve went the way of the dinosaur once the drive by wire throttle bodies were introduced. They control the air flow and yes I think it sounds like a bad throttle body as well. That's a guess based on your symptoms and the fact you have to hold the throttle open to keep it run.
My girls old man cleaned the TB when he was helping me with an oil change yesterday and it already seemed to be running better. Only time will tell and it just went back to the dealer for them to finish some recall work they were waiting on a part for. Once I get it back and can put some miles on it Iíll be able to tell.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Heads up, cleaning these throttle bodies often results in servo failure. They can't be cleaned effectively assembled and that's why service procedure is just replacement.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost View Post
I haven't been into one of these yet, but I thought they might have. The parts sites list a connector for one although they don't list the IAC valve itself.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User

My girls old man cleaned the TB when he was helping me with an oil change yesterday and it already seemed to be running better. Only time will tell and it just went back to the dealer for them to finish some recall work they were waiting on a part for. Once I get it back and can put some miles on it Iíll be able to tell.
Weird thing is: How did it get gummed up and/or dirty in the first place in three years?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Sig226
New User
Weird thing is: How did it get gummed up and/or dirty in the first place in three years?
I think who ever had it before me didnít take very good care of it. Itís on me now to get it fixed because I didnít do my homework before hand. Live and learn. The oil that came out of it was nasty.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:32 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
What's the deal with the air filter on it? Is it stock and clean? . . . or . . . ?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Sig226
New User
What's the deal with the air filter on it? Is it stock and clean? . . . or . . . ?

Just put a K&N air filter in it about 3 weeks ago

Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
Just put a K&N air filter in it about 3 weeks ago
I've seen many intake tracts get gummed up by those things, usually when the filter is over-oiled. It accumulates over time though. Not your issue if it had a normal filter prior.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 PM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Might want to check the plugs.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:53 AM
CathedralCub
Elder User
I just put together that it went to the dealer on March 4th and now it looks like you have it back. Did they find anything?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Sig226
New User
I just put together that it went to the dealer on March 4th and now it looks like you have it back. Did they find anything?
So I brought it to a different dealer yesterday and go a call from them today saying that the OBD port has bent pins in it from somebody forcing a scan tool on it. They ordered a new one that should be here tomorrow. They also said that it was throwing codes but because of the port being messed up they werenít able to read what the codes were. The rough idle was also replicated with them so they now what itís doing first hand now so hopefully tomorrow Iíll have more answers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: