Modular V10 (6.8l)  

More oil concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 11:21 AM
brcowan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More oil concerns

I changed the oil & filter on my 2000 F250 V10 (4x4, AT, Supercab) for the first time, 4500 miles ago, two days after I got it. No oil on the dipstick prior to the change and drained 2.5 quarts of dirty oil from the pan and filter (no idea of when the last change was). I have been driving mostly on the highway with only 1 day of towing a small trailer and have put 4500 miles on it in 1 month. Used 6.5 quarts of 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic and a Baldwin filter. I was checking my dipstick at every gas fill (that's a lot of checks by the way) on a trip to North Carolina and it was always fine. Have recently been driving 70 miles each way twice a week on the Interstate and just checked the stick to find nothing on it. Please don't exile me from the site, but I had not checked my dipstick for about two weeks before this. Drained the pan of only 3.5 quarts of slightly dirty oil, but not bad. No signs of leaks and not smoking (truck runs great). So, basically, the truck has used almost 3 quarts on oil in the past 3000 miles. Is this normal for a V10?

I just changed the oil and filter again; 6.5 quarts of Castrol 5W30 dino and a Baldwin filter. I'll keep more accurate checks on it this time and let everyone know how it goes.
BTW, no dummy lights activated and factory oil pressure gauge reading fine when I got the truck with only 2.5 quarts of oil in it. Needless to say, I'll be installing extra real gauges soon. Any comments on the Baldwin filters? Does anyone know how good the anti drain back valve is on this filter?

Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...I can hear the bullets whizzing and the daggers whirring...but I think its the Mobil 1. I can't explain it, but my engine will use (consume, burn...whatever) a quart of M1 in 2000 miles. Where it goes I do not know.
I went back to Castrol 5W30 and no problems. I pull a load of anywhere from 10K to 15K every weekend - hard pulling on backroads - and its still on the full mark with about 3100 miles on this change.

I don't know how much dino oil yours uses (or even if you've checked that part) but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:14 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Big Orn
Well...I can hear the bullets whizzing and the daggers whirring...but I think its the Mobil 1. I can't explain it, but my engine will use (consume, burn...whatever) a quart of M1 in 2000 miles. Where it goes I do not know.
I went back to Castrol 5W30 and no problems. I pull a load of anywhere from 10K to 15K every weekend - hard pulling on backroads - and its still on the full mark with about 3100 miles on this change.

I don't know how much dino oil yours uses (or even if you've checked that part) but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Sorry, I'm not a bullets and/or daggers guy. I guess if you want I could taunt you or something, if it would make you feel better.

But; do you think the Mobil 1 is being burned in your engine ? I don't know why that wouldn't be possible, seems logical to me. If it's not leaking, if it's not going into your coolant system it has to be combusted, right ? 1 quart per thousand miles, let's see average speed traveled in America is 35 mph. At 35 mph the V-10 is turning let's say 1500 rpm (just for giggles) So 35 mph it takes 28.5 hours or 1710 minutes to go a thousand miles times 1500 rpm is 2,565,000 rpm in every one thousand miles, divided by how many drops in one quart is how many drops would be burnt by each rpm. So, .001 drop per rpm isn't too bad, is it ?

Old 09-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally posted by ken04
... do you think the Mobil 1 is being burned in your engine?
That's the only logical explanation, but I cannot explain why. I would love to run Mobil 1 if for nothing else for the way it quietens down the early-morning rattle. But, for a lack of a better explanation - if Castrol doesn't go away (burn, whatever) then I guess I'll stay with it.

Wish I had the the answer, ken, but maybe if I keep looking and reading I'll find it.

Old 09-30-2003, 01:17 PM
brcowan
Junior User
Thanks for the info Big Orn. I just put in the Castrol 5W30 dino; I'll let you know how it works out. Anyone have any comments on Baldwin Filters?

Old 09-30-2003, 01:22 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
That's the only logical explanation, but I cannot explain why. I would love to run Mobil 1 if for nothing else for the way it quietens down the early-morning rattle. But, for a lack of a better explanation - if Castrol doesn't go away (burn, whatever) then I guess I'll stay with it.

Wish I had the the answer, ken, but maybe if I keep looking and reading I'll find it.
Well don't be all so sure that Mobil 1 will quiet down that early morning rattle, it doesn't in my rig, not a bit. I just use it because I feel it offers superior protection. But I also have heard that for normal, everyday driving and towing, the difference between dino and synth is negligible, so who knows. I guess I just feel better with Mobil 1 in my crankcase, and that's enough for me. Of course now that you brought it up I will have to check and see if I am losing oil, figures. And here I started out today whistling a happy tune,,,,, egads, it sucks to be ****-retentive,,,,,,

Old 09-30-2003, 01:46 PM
brcowan
Junior User
The way I see it, it comes down to $$$. If my truck is going to use oil that fast, I might as well use the much cheaper dino and get three oil changes for the price of one. Now that I'm turning into a penny pincher (have to to be able to afford the gas to drive the thing), how cheap are Motorcraft oil filters at Wally World? I'm paying almost $6 for Baldwin oil filters at a Big Rig shop. Funny though, the Baldwin air filter is $2 cheaper than the Fram at WW.

Old 09-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
And here I started out today whistling a happy tune,,,,, egads, it sucks to be ****-retentive,,,,,,
You always crack me up with this sort of reply, ken

Originally posted by brcowan
How cheap are Motorcraft oil filters at Wally World? I'm paying almost $6 for Baldwin oil filters at a Big Rig shop. Funny though, the Baldwin air filter is $2 cheaper than the Fram at WW.
Now you're talking. Stick with the Motorcraft. Its safe and effective. I think they're under $3 here.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Synthetic oil has a lower surface tension than dino oil. It'll ooze out of places that dino will not. Like across the hash-marks from cylinder honing, through the space left by the ring end-gap, out your valve cover gasket, etc.

A quick google search for "oil consumption surface tension" yielded some good reading.

Lower surface tension helps initial oil-up though, especially when cold.

And, if the gaskets are good, it won't ooze out there. I would think it's only on marginal gaskets, or ones with surface imperfections that would allow synth to ooze. Like the old cork ones I have on my FE390's valve covers

ak

Old 09-30-2003, 03:45 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
You always crack me up with this sort of reply, ken

Now you're talking. Stick with the Motorcraft. Its safe and effective. I think they're under $3 here.
Hey thanks man, I just like to lighten everyone up when I can. Life is short, lots of things we can't do anything about but watch.

And yea, Wally World Motorcraft filters are $3-ish, I buy mine there for both my Fords along with Mobil 1 in the 5 quart jug. I tried to buy plugs (Motorcraft) for my Zetec motor there too, but they did not carry them. So $12 each at the Ford dealer,,,,,gag, $12 each plug, that's what, 1200 percent mark up ?

Old 09-30-2003, 03:47 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally posted by krewat
Synthetic oil has a lower surface tension than dino oil. It'll ooze out of places that dino will not. Like across the hash-marks from cylinder honing, through the space left by the ring end-gap, out your valve cover gasket, etc.

A quick google search for "oil consumption surface tension" yielded some good reading.

Lower surface tension helps initial oil-up though, especially when cold.

And, if the gaskets are good, it won't ooze out there. I would think it's only on marginal gaskets, or ones with surface imperfections that would allow synth to ooze. Like the old cork ones I have on my FE390's valve covers

ak
As i understand it some of the early synth oils would and could leak past gaskets, and also would not allow gaskets to swell and therefore seal correctly. But that was old technology synth oils. Is your reference including current, new tech synth oils ?

Old 09-30-2003, 04:24 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
As i understand it some of the early synth oils would and could leak past gaskets, and also would not allow gaskets to swell and therefore seal correctly. But that was old technology synth oils. Is your reference including current, new tech synth oils ?
Seemed to be info from the last couple of years...

Seeing as many people report using more synth than dino, it just makes sense. I know a few people that used synth (Mobil 1 and others) and noticed weeping at gaskets they didn't have with dino. And that's within the last 2-3 years...

Anecdotal information, yes, but worth thinking about.

ak

Old 09-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am using Amsoil 0W30 in my V10. It runs 4500 to 6000 miles per quart usage. I only change the oil at 25,000, the filter at 12.5 and 25.

I have never had a Triton 4.6/5.4/6.8 use more than 1 quart per 4000 miles, even when towing.

I can't figure how the Mobil 1 could be causing the high consumption--gasket leaks would show somewhere.

Run a compression test to see how the rings are seated.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
By the way, I never meant that synthetic oil could be the cause of all the oil disappearing...

That's just plain strange...

ak

Old 10-01-2003, 12:12 AM
brcowan
Junior User
Thanks for all of the info guys. I just want to make sure that my new baby stays healthy. I'll get a compression check done as soon as I get back to the states.

Quick Reply: More oil concerns