Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

original headliner

Old 02-23-2019, 07:09 PM
MIBill
Freshman User
MIBill is starting off with a positive reputation.
original headliner

I bought an original type sort of cardboard?? headliner in the original grey for my 55 F100. I would like to paint it a off white to go with the interior I have. concerned with getting it installed without damaging the new paint. Questionis what would be a good or best durable paint product for this?

Old 02-23-2019, 09:03 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Latex might be durable enough.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:21 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Any good auto paint store will handle fabric paint suitable for the application.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:43 PM
g-money-55
Junior User
g-money-55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to hijack your thread, but had anyone ever used one of the ABS headliners they seem to install really easy from the video I seen. I've got a cardboard one in mine not sure if it's original or not but crazy about the look of it and may have to replace it at dinner point https://roddoors.com/shop?olsPage=pr...iner-1953-1955

Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 AM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Money, please start your own thread concerning your question .

Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 AM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Bill,
If I was doing what you want I would use auto paint with a flex additive so the paint don't crack during install.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 AM
seaves46
Elder User
seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a great reputation on FTE.
Or maybe use one of the spray paints available for re coloring vinyl seats etc .

Old 02-25-2019, 02:42 AM
Justboy
Senior User
Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just a suggestion but can you not just cover it in fabric and then not have to worry about cracking?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 AM
turnrjr
Elder User
turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.
Covering in fabric is an interesting idea. My 54 came with a new (still in the box) original style headliner. Has any one done this?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:20 PM
rusty48
Senior User
rusty48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used the rustoleum vinyl spray on another project. very flexible and forgiving. Think it would work great for covering, color change and best of all touch up if needed.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:25 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by rusty48 View Post
I used the rustoleum vinyl spray on another project. very flexible and forgiving. Think it would work great for covering, color change and best of all touch up if needed.
I used a vinyl spray paint too on my original oil impregnated cardboard firewall pad. Came out real nice. But will it hold up when you need to bend and curve the headliner?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 PM
rusty48
Senior User
rusty48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used it on a vw assist strap, which is the handle you pull on to get in and out of the back seat, gets a lot of use and is very flexible, no issues with bonding. No headliner would get this kind of use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.