Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Windshield washer help needed

Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Itsmyford
Freshman User
Itsmyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Windshield washer help needed

Members,
I continue to dismantle and restore a "New to me" 1961 F100 shortbed flareside. I'm taking my time, but things are progressing well. My hope is to have her on the road this summer, with more extensive work being done during winter months. This week's question. My truck has a 2 speed wiper system that functions fine. There is no indication of any type of washer system. It is a standard cab so I would expect it to be a simple system, maybe reservoir bag and foot pump. My repair manual and parts catalog do not appear to cover washer systems for that year. Is it possible the washer system is the same setup used from 57-60? It's not a show truck, but I would like to restore as close to factory configuration as I can. I would appreciate it if anyone could provide insight or point me in right direction. Thanks

Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 AM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
1957-60 is a different part number than 1961+. Might work, but I like to go original anytime I am able to myself.

Here's a link to a 1961+ style on eBay so you can see what it looks like. Also others available NOS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-Windshield-Washer-Pump-NOS-C1TT-17664-A-1961-1963-F100-F250-F350/331846675487?epid=1331019524&hash=item4d439a6c1f:g :XXwAAOSwKfVXJ-R~:rk:1f:0

It's a very simple system. Foot pump is connected by rubber tubing to the washer fluid bag. Pumping the foot pump simply pressurizes the bag and fluid will either come out the outlets or the bag will burst. Lol.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 10:35 AM
cosmofennema
Senior User
cosmofennema is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
It's a very simple system. Foot pump is connected by rubber tubing to the washer fluid bag. Pumping the foot pump simply pressurizes the bag and fluid will either come out the outlets or the bag will burst. Lol.
Chad
Ummm, there is a one-way valve in the pump. No pressurization of the bag. System works very good, foot pressure can 'aim' the stream to anywhere on the windscreen. I've had this system in many Ford cars and trucks, and it never failed to do the job better than most.
FWIW, most of the Ford foot pumps are different only in the mounting, and nearly all can be adapted to any car/truck.

Cosmo

Old 02-19-2019, 11:19 AM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
There is no one way valve in the pump, only in the Tee connector. If the hood jets are rusted shut and you keep pumping the foot pump I have seen the bag split wide open. Your results may vary. The lines and bellows can fill with fluid so it's good to disconnect it at the bag and pump out the bellows before disconnecting it all.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 AM
53deere
Senior User
53deere is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
The one-way valve is to keep the fluid from getting into the foot pump and to hold any pressure, but if the hood jets are rusted shut and you keep pumping the foot pump I have seen the bag split wide open. Your results may vary.

Chad
I'm with cosmo on this. I haven't seen one of these in many years but was sure the pump was pumping fluid not air.

Windshield Washer

Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
Falcon is somewhat different. In that system there are two rubber hoses that pass through the firewall, both with fluid in them.

For the 1961-1966 Trucks the foot pump, if so equipped, only has a single output line connected to it. As you pump the bellows it is only pulling air into the washer bag to replace any lost fluid.

Now, think about that for a moment - if only air is being pulled into the bag, how is air pressure not the factor that forces the fluid out of the bag?

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 12:17 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
You're either with me or you're against me....LOL.

Here's a picture of the fluid bag for the trucks with the foot pump style of washer. Notice there is no outlet tube showing. There isn't one in the bag. Air comes in the top of the bag and fluid comes out the top of the bag as well (air or fluid depending on if there is fluid in the bag or not).

It uses a Tee connector on the top of the bag with a different cap.

The two horizontal connectors - larger one comes from the bellows and the smaller connector goes to the tee for the jets.

Air is drawn in through the top of the Tee when you let up on the bellows and then is trapped in the bag by the check valve in the top of the Tee. As pressure in the bag builds up it squirts fluid out the jets. There is no residual pressure in the bag once done. Fluid can back fill into the bellows and line.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
Here's an NOS cap with other miscellaneous bits and pieces (grommets, jets, etc.). You can see the hole where the Tee connector threads into it.

Y'all have a nice day now, ya hear?

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Itsmyford
Freshman User
Itsmyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks gang. I do recall seeing the falcon system. Your discussion has prompted a couple more questions
a. Do you merely step on (pump) the bladder mounted inside the cab. Or do you include that angled foot pedal thing that I sometimes see?
b. Is there a specific place for mounting the squirters?
c. Where would you mount pump so brake and clutch aren't in the way

Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
The trucks didn't use the extra lever over the bellows bladder. It was just like the one in the eBay ad. You just pushed directly on the rubber itself.

It was installed by the dealer in many cases so you might see them mounted in a variety of places. Let me get pics of my two on my trucks. I think they are both in roughly the same spot.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
Here, I'll do you one better. Here's the FoMoCo mounting instructions.

Upper is 4WD, Lower is 2WD. Keep in mind some of this is showing 1965/66 style inner fenders.

F100/250 2WD only in this picture.

And close up of the foot pump mounting location and dimensions.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
Here's one more from 1523-4 showing the jets mounting specs. They are calling for 11" on either side of the center line of the hood and 8" from the back edge.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 02:57 PM
cosmofennema
Senior User
cosmofennema is starting off with a positive reputation.
You must realise that there ARE bags with an outlet on the bottom, don't you?? Those fed fluid to the pump by gravity, which did not work in all Fords, as some had the bag mounted too low for gravity feed.
And the system that you illustrate has a tube that goes to the bottom of the bag, to pull fluid up, so that it can go to the jets.
Further, and potentially much more important, is physics. The physics that states if you push air into a bag, it will inflate. Since the bag in question is flexible, you won't be able to push fluid out of the bag onto the windscreen.
The 'F' piece that mounts to the cap on SOME of the Ford systems has a valve. That valve allows fluid from the bag into the pump. When the pump is actuated, the valve switches (under pressure), to force fluid through the jets. Lastly, that cap does not seal well enough anyway.

Therefore, the pump does, indeed, pump fluid in ALL the Ford systems, whether the bag in question has a bottom nipple, or if it has a cap with the 'F' valve in it.
If one doubts, try this experiment: fill a bag with fluid. Then pump a small amount of air into it (the amount that the pump illustrated would pump). Now see how much fluid comes out. Now try it with a nearly empty bag.

The Ford engineers knew what they were about, and this system works with any amount of fluid in the bag. And does not pump air into the bag. Either that, or ALL the systems that I have used on numerous Fords, were somehow mixed at the factory and allowed to pump fluid in defiance of prevailing opinion.

BTW, the lever seen on some pumps operates a switch that turns the wipers 'ON'. Sort of like a 'mist' switch seen on newer cars. Quite intelligent, these Ford engineers.

Cosmo

Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
I've got bags with the outlet at the bottom so, yes, I'm aware of them.

It's true the system has to be primed. But, my point was if you have low fluid or no fluid in the system and the jets are clogged and you pumped the bellows repeatedly it can burst the bag with this system. The bellows can push too much air into the bag under these conditions. Physics be damned....lol.

Chad

Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Becky_is_a_66
Senior User
Becky_is_a_66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is nothing more refreshing than a reasonable and civil disagreement. I have the electric pump version on both my trucks so never had to think about the other type - it is fascinating though. I wish Car Talk was still on so those guys could snort, pun, and pontificate regarding the physics - maybe even get one of their professor guests to weigh in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.